Will Coach Shula Win Only About 50% Of All His Games?

HighTide333

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2001
Two score and seven years ago, upon this great land a tiny orange & blue-clad group of turdhustlers wrangled a tie for the NC.

In half a score from now, it'll be the exact number of years backward to that fateful year ('57) as it is from that year backward to the turn of the twentieth century..57 years.

"For your barn tickets, dial "1957"

BWA!

I'll take a National Championship for Alabama every once in a while as long as they are competitive each year.

onebama#1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2003
tupelo, ms. us
Each Coach is different. Is it fair to use prior coaches as a measuring stick for CMS ability as a HC. I don't think so.He may not win 50% of his games, but it won't be because of history. I have much more faith in the individual abilities of a person. What you are saying is he won't because of history. I don't buy it.

blindbuzzard

Scout Team
Jan 18, 2003
Shreveport, La
I think whether Mike Shula is a success at Alabama or not will be up to Mike Shula and the decisions he makes, not "history".

Shula is in a position (as HEAD COACH)that he calls the shots, he determines who we recruit, who we don't recruit, how our players train, how our players practice, the schemes being run, the coaches he decides to have on his staff, the plays being called during a game, the adjustments during a game, the style of game we play, the attitude the team plays with, etc.

In other words Mike Shula's success or lack there of won't be determined by people in the past. His success or the success he doesn't have will be because of his doing.

------------------
"What the Patriots did to Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison in the AFC championship game was remind us again that whatever else football is, it is first a contest of man-to-man physical strength. He who hits hardest, fastest and most often wins."-Dave Kindred

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bama83:
Why are you being so defensive?

RTR and WWJD?
</font>
I'm thinking even Jesus would have an uphill battle with our O-Line..... Speculative posts are a waste of time and type.....

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TommyMac:
I can't see Spurrier at UTK given his distaste for recruiting. Tutorsee isn't exactly a hotbed of HS talent and Stevie would have to work pretty hard at it to keep the talent level up. Texas and Florida require very little effort to reel in the blue-chippers and besides, the viles might be in deep dookie for awhile if Gallion is successful.</font>
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I think Spurrier is in a holding pattern right now, waiting on the Texas job to open up. Once Mack Brown loses to Stoops and OU again this season, he's done. Several Longhorn fans that I know and talk to say even Dodds and Royal cannot save Brown if he loses another one, and fourth in a row, to the Sooners.

Bama83

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RoIITideRoII:
OK, before everyone gets their feathers ruffled, it's apparent to me that Bama83's post is meant only in jest (at least I hope so).

Anyway, it's an interesting analysis.... but being an engineer has taught me one very important lesson: with a small enough amount of data, you can pretty much come to any conclusion you want to. I'm not very impressed with a 5 data point analysis.

As Mark Twain once said: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
</font>
Thank you for being the only person to date who really understood my original post!

I am probably one of the most misunderstood posters on this board, so I have hope when a relative newcomer "gets it."

You are very bright in pointing out, if I may interpret and paraphrase your response, that my thesis is more of a "coincidence" than an "analysis."

What do you think of some of the more shallow responses of some of our fellow Tide Fans?

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
Will Shula break .500? Who knows. He has the tools to be a great coach, and given time and talent (i.e. end of the recruiting sanctions) .. anything is possible.

Roll Tide!

PeteTheYankee

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 21, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
www.peteholiday.com
Personally, I think the answer to this question will be determined not by Shula's ability, but by the patience of Tide fans and boosters. We've got a tough year (maybe two) ahead of us and if Shula doesn't pull out a big-win season and the boosters (et al) ditch him, he might be out sub .500.

If, on the other hand, we all give him the chance to mature as a coach and get past the effects of the sanctions he has the potential to lead 'Bama to some great seasons down the road.

Was he the right man for the job? I think he was, but that certainly doesn't matter now -- what matters now is the faithfulness of the Crimson Tide faithful. The more times we change coaches the longer it's going to take us to get back into the national spotlight and the national championship game.

Here's hoping for a stellar year for CMS and Tide fans everywhere. Roll Tide.

Good thing you did not use Coach Bryant's Texas A&M first year record while Aggie Coach. Geeezzz. Stats mean nothing. If that were true then Bryant would have never made to to Alabama. I see nothing that would keep Coach Shula from winning 75 percent to 80 percent of his games. Coach Shula is determined and you can see the Hurt in his eyes last season. No, way this Coach is a Winner all the Way. He is young and has the heart of a champion. Just like his Dad. One of the Best Young Coaches in College Football in my opinion.

BamaSkins

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Brookside, Al, USA
Blindbuzz hit the nail on the head when he said it will be Coach Shula's:
- ability to recruit
- his practices
- his coaches
- play calling
- adjustments
- style
- attitude of players that will determine his career at Bama...HOWEVER, I have accidently uncovered a key to his potential success at Bama...in the history of Alabama football not one successful coach has ever started 0-2 against the barn...so watch the barn game this year...regardless of circumstance, probation, injury, etc...he can't lose this game and have any hope of being successful at Bama...
it's historical...
it's a powerful predictor...
write it down...

toddhsv

3rd Team
May 18, 2004
huntsville, alabama
Why is this such a popular topic? Do you think Mike Shula "coaches" injuries to heal? Do you think Mike Shula "coaches" the scholarship limitations of the past years or the multiplicity of coaches and offensive schemes that these juniors and seniors had to deal with? Well, history tells me that the world will be coming to an end one day. . .but we still try living life don't we? Did you even know that 74.8% of statistics are made up on the spot? HA HA HA

Let's give Mike Shula some slack here. You can't make the dinner if you don't have the ingredients! Give him time to fill the cabinets!

------------------
RTMF

Bama83

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rtrcam:
Interesting statistics. I wonder if you could factor in severe scholarship reductions, two coaches leaving players high and dry during those sanctions, and Coach Shula beginning his career during these circumstances without the benefit of a spring practice. Also, factor in the fact that only Gene Stallings coached more than four years. Plus, only Ray Perkins and Mike Dubose coached four years and both followed the most successful Alabama coaches of the last 60 years.

To answer your question will Mike Shula only win 50% of his games, well, probably not. He will likely go 4-7 this year, 5-6 next year, and he will then be fired and Alabama will hire Steve Spurrier to lead us back to glory with the fun-n-gun offense.
</font>
Unfortunately, all your predictions (except Steve Spurrier coaching at Bama) may well come true.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The premise of this whole topic bothers me--the possibility of Coach Shula only winning half of the games he coaches. Common sense tells me he will be far more successful than that. Heck, even Bill Curry won far more than that.....To my knowledge, we've only had one coach in the modern era that didn't, Ears Whitworth, so I would say this a nonstarter topic.....

Will coach Shulla only win half of the games that he coaches?

Well I guess it will come down to how many he loses. If he loses as many games as he wins then yes he will only win half of his games. But! In the event that he wins more than he loses then I'd have to say no.

In the end it will all depend on how many he wins verses how many he loses. Hope this helps.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by wastedmason (edited 06-18-2004).]

rtrcam

All-SEC
Sep 23, 2003
Boaz, Alabama, USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bama83:
Unfortunately, all your predictions (except Steve Spurrier coaching at Bama) may well come true. </font>
I can't believe this thread is still going, but I have to tell you Bama83, I hope you know I was being totally sarcastic. Those are not my predictions, far from them, in fact. If you look at all the coaches since Coach Bryant, you would see that Coach Shula is destined for success, if he stays the course and those that make the decisions in the athletic department stay the course.

Ray Perkins, Bill Curry, Gene Stallings, Mike Dubose, and fRan were all successful but only Stallings stayed the course (just 7 years though), and each coach but Dubose left on their own accord. I don't care what any of them say about what went on while they were there; they all chose to leave. Dubose was the only one that was fired, and that should have been a year sooner.

In my opinion, all of those coaches could have led BAMA to greatness if they would have stayed put. Perkins ran, Curry ran, fRan ran, and Dubose couldn't keep his gameplan straight from quarter to quarter, much less week to week. If Mike Shula is given time, BAMA will be a power again. If not, it will be the same ole mediocrity that we have all of a sudden became shockingly accustomed to.

ROLL TIDE ROLL.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BRBforTIDE:
Hey RollTideRoll, I'd be almost willing to bet that you go by the name "Really Big Bama Fan" on Tidesports.com. He seems to like that Twain quote as well. And he registered there the same month and year that you did here. Am I right? And if I am
statistics had nothing to do with that thread. But your right with this one. Differant coach,differant team. Those stats have nothing to do with Coach Shula.
</font>
Hey BRBforTIDE, thanks for thinking of me, but I don't have a dog in this fight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.