I'm Wide Open To Get Slammed For Saying This

tideomega

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2002
Birmingham Al.
O.K. slammers come and get it. "IF" we don't get a RB this year and I hope that we get Giles or someone, but I watch past Bama games pretty regular and I'm not saying you would do it all the time, but I was watching the Bama vs Florida game.... the year we beat the twice in the same year and I see Freddy Milons take a quick step forward and then back a step around the right side in front of spurrier 80 yards for a TD. He was lined up at the QB position and I remember David Palmer doing the same thing. What I'm saying is with the "awesome" speed that we have at WR like a Protro, S. Castille, Brandon Brooks and if the speeds of some of these awesome WR we have coming in are correct they could line up at TB and do the same thing and even thin.. I think with the good linemen we have coming in we could actually have some good blocking for a change. I don't think Hudson,Darby,Castille and some of the others are bad RB's..
I'm just saying we shouldn't panic with Coach Shula at the helm...

TC

RTR

BamaFlix

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2004
Prattville,Al,US
In regards to a WR moving to RB. If you guys will remember Protho was a running back in high school. With that in mind the other day he was interviewed on bamaonline about the new S&C program and he said that he would like to get to around 190 lbs before the fall. When asked why he said that his natural position was RB. Now i am not saying that he will move to RB or he will even be given a chance but if we sign Stover,Oakley,Knight,Hall,and Brown along with last years group of Caddel and Roach this may be possible. Again i am not saying this will happen I just thought that was an interesting statement from Protho.

BamaFlix

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 14, 2004
Prattville,Al,US
In regards to a WR moving to RB. If you guys will remember Protho was a running back in high school. With that in mind the other day he was interviewed on bamaonline about the new S&C program and he said that he would like to get to around 190 lbs before the fall. When asked why he said that his natural position was RB. Now i am not saying that he will move to RB or he will even be given a chance but if we sign Stover,Oakley,Knight,Hall,and Brown along with last years group of Caddel and Roach this may be possible. Again i am not saying this will happen I just thought that was an interesting statement from Protho.

vatidefan

Scout Team
Apr 30, 2003
Manassas,Virginia,USA
For a large portion of this recruting year most people were saying if not Manson then no rb this year. Now it looks like Giles and Manson have a shot but those are the only 2 we're really chasing. I think it would be fine to not have a rb in this class. We can do with what we got and get a 5 star next year.

------------------
University Of Alabama:
12 NCAA Championships
21 SEC Championships
51 Bowl Appearances
87 First Team All Amer.
3rd Highest Winning % in D1 History
ANY QUESTIONS? RTR

bama10

Aug 8, 2003
tideomega, I respectfully disagree with your post. I do like to see an athletic wr (Milons, Palmer) line up at qb every now and then, but you have to consider if you do this a lot the defense will know what's coming and put 11 in the box. It's not like they can line up, read defenses and throw the ball. If you remember correctly Milons and Palmer only lined up at qb 3-5 times a season - element of surprise. Also, if my memory serves me correctly in the past 12 yrs we have only had 2 tds when a wr lined up at qb = not a lot

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
your talking about two offenses that were well in place, Right now we need to be concentrating on the basic stuff before we start thinking about trick plays.

I think Prothro is too small to play RB. I say let Hudson, Casteel, and Darby handle the tailback duties, I dont' think we'll be too bad off, Do we need a RB, yea, will we die if we dont get one, no, next year we will definately have to sign one though.

tideomega

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2002
Birmingham Al.
I only meant to give our assigned RB's a breather and I hope none of those get hurt like we did in the QB position and as far as 12 years ago, I repectly say you have a tramendous memory.

T C

RTR....

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
FYI, Castille will be playing RB this year.

McLain couldn't play FB due to injury, but will be moved back this year most likely to provide depth behind McClain.

great2batidefan

1st Team
May 8, 2003
Chester, VA
Was reading at Rivals where Brandon Jackson (Horn Lake, MS) had us listed with medium interest. Never hear any talk about him as a possibility, or maybe I just missed it. Any chance with this guy, or is he definitely headed somewhere else?

RTR

vatidefan

Scout Team
Apr 30, 2003
Manassas,Virginia,USA
Castille (4.5-40)

------------------
University Of Alabama:
12 NCAA Championships
21 SEC Championships
51 Bowl Appearances
87 First Team All Amer.
3rd Highest Winning % in D1 History
ANY QUESTIONS? RTR

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
It all depends on what Hudson does. Castille made the mmost out of every time he touched the ball last year. It kind of reminds me of Alexander's replacement in 2000 what was his name???? Anyways he didn't really take the reins and Galloway, Beard, and Miree picked it up.

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Tide:
It all depends on what Hudson does. Castille made the mmost out of every time he touched the ball last year. It kind of reminds me of Alexander's replacement in 2000 what was his name???? Anyways he didn't really take the reins and Galloway, Beard, and Miree picked it up.</font>
All good points,however, the real reason we need to sign a rb is for depht and to grow into the rotation.I hope MM and Giles do not read this but both would most likely red shirt anyway with RA,KD,and TC back they will split pt next year.
drjamesm

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
Geez, there is so much to respond to in this thread. I'll skim over a couple of topics.

Tim would make a good RB, yes. But, remember he is still growing and would grow into a better HB than RB. That's Shula's take, not mine...and he is basing it on how Tim would do in the NFL. You have to realize he's a step slower than both Hudson and Darby.

Secondly, expect Hudson to be our feature back next year. Hudson has proven to be a durable, good hands, speed back. Can't say that I saw him get tossed around like a rag doll last year. He has good body lean and I don't remember him getting knocked backwards.....always fell forward. Most don't know it but Ray played with two cracked ribs that happened in fall practice. His ribs really never healed completely.

My guess...Hudson will be 800 yards+ next season with a good chance to reach 1000. I know, I took some flames pre-season for saying he was much improved...he's gettting better and better year in and year out.

Can Darby handle the SEC? Jury is still out. 3 and 1 comes to mind.

Now, all that being said I'd like to have 4 RB's on the roster but if we do sign one we'll still see 3 play. Johns...hope he makes the grades.

HOWEVER, consider this. If we don't sign one...I am willing to bet we'll have offers out for 3-4 of the top 15 RB's in the nation next year. And, we'll get 2 of them.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Yeah I don't understand this business about sweeping Hudson under the rug. He's been as effective as anyone we've had since Alexander (except for maybe Beard, but that's a little bit of a funky situation). Not only is Hudson our strongest back by weightroom standards, he's also quite obviously our fastest. I think it's pretty clear that he's improved that intangible runningback savvy every season, to boot.

Castille only had about 15 carries last year, so I don't know why everyone thinks he's automatically our best candidate for tailback. He was very effective catching the ball out of the fullback spot last year, so I don't see why we'd automatically want to move him from there compeletely. I think it's fair to assume he'll get a lot more touches next year, since good things typically happened when he got touches, but I expect Hudson and Darby to be the 1st and 2nd tailbacks. If anyone loses out to Castille next year, I think it will be Darby, not Hudson.

We'll see I guess.

Bamaalfa

Scout Team
Jan 23, 2004
B'ham, Al.
Hudson will be our starter and if Darby stays health he will be # 2. T.Castille will be # 3, he is a good runner and blocker. I have seen him drop quite of few passes right in his hands, but who doesn't. I still have not forgotten he was a freshman. tideomega, I do think some of the WR's we are getting are faster and bigger than we have had in years....

Big T......

"Rollin With Shula Towards a National Championship"

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Tide:
FYI, Castille will be playing RB this year.

McLain couldn't play FB due to injury, but will be moved back this year most likely to provide depth behind McClain.
</font>
and that ain't double-talk,either!

------------------
"you'd better pass" -Marty Lyons

UAAlum94

Nov 23, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Based on the games I saw last year and even going back to spring practice I say Darby is number 1 with Hudson and Castille as co #2's. Hudson's ability to hang on to the ball is a huge question mark.

If Darby shows toughness then I say he'll be a 1,000 yd. guy. I see TC getting a boatload of carries from the TB slot.

I just don't trust Hudson. :-(

drjamesm

All-American
Nov 12, 2003
bham,al,USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UAAlum94:
Based on the games I saw last year and even going back to spring practice I say Darby is number 1 with Hudson and Castille as co #2's. Hudson's ability to hang on to the ball is a huge question mark.

If Darby shows toughness then I say he'll be a 1,000 yd. guy. I see TC getting a boatload of carries from the TB slot.

I just don't trust Hudson. :-(

</font>
If you really must know Hudson only fumbled 3 times this year,and the one vs the barn was debatable. all in all this was about average compared to SW and is not bad compared to the ratio of touches. Therefore your post is just not a fair judgement. I believe you better check the stats before you make such a unjustified harsh judgement. However, I still would not be surprised to see any of the 3 start for all have demostrated great potential,and I am not unhappy with any.
drjamesm

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.