Students Alienated by UAPD, University

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFever

Suspended
Dec 26, 2004
At the Capstone
I've searched the forums, and have yet to see a thread focusing on what I'm about to discuss, so I apologize if there is already a thread...

Yesterday I, like so many other students and fans of Alabama, was more than excited to get another season under way. Myself and my usual group of about 5 or 6 others started up our typical Roll Tide chants and Rammer Jammer cheers. Everything was perfect until we rolled around to the student gates area at about 5:00 PM (1 hour and 7 minutes before gametime.)

Immediately we realized something was wrong. The lines were enormous, something I've never seen in my two previous years at the Capstone. The latest I've ever arrived to the student lines has been about 30 minutes to gametime, and have never had to wait more than 15 minutes to enter the gates. Not this time.

As I mentioned, we entered the lines at 5:00, and the line was all the way back to Bryant Drive... literally, I believe there were students on the curb or in the street. The other gates that curled around down sorority row were just as long, with students snaking in and out of every possible corner. My friends and myself looked for the best line, and settled on one of the southern most gates.

Immediately, we knew we were in trouble. The line moved at a maximum 5 feet in 10 minutes, and there was now only 50 minutes to game time. Those that were becoming impatient were trying to barge through everyone else, using excuses like, "I'm with University Programs, I need to get through," or "My girlfriend/boyfriend has my ticket and they are at the gate." People began sneaking behind bushes up against the spiral at the southeast corner, further hampering the process.

As time continued to pass, cursing became more and more common. Cheers began to strike up, to the tune of, "LET US IN!" "Bulls$*t!" and loud boos after every cheer.

Like any Bama fan, I enjoy getting into the game at least 40 minutes early to enjoy the Million Dollar Band, the pregame festivities, the warm-ups, the cheers, the videos, and the national anthem. I myself, saw none of this for the first game of the year. And do remember, I was in line a full hour before the game.

Myself and another of my group got seperated from the rest of our group, who fortunately made it in a full 20 minutes before we did. As my friend and I finally were only about 10 yards away from the gate, suddenly, a girl fainted no further than 5 feet to my left. The extreme heat and close quarters finally took their toll on someone, and I couldn't believe it didn't happen any faster. Thank God that in all the anger and frustration the students around me still had the foresight to get out of the way and let them rush through the gate to find help for the girl.

As I got to the gate, an officer was searching every purse, bag, pocket, and other items. 25 lines of thousdands of students were being forced to cram into 1 line. As the loud boos, yells, and angered cheers kept raining down, I FINALLY was able to hand my ticket over to the ticket ladies, only after explaining to the officer doing security checks that I needed to get in to find my group, which I had been seperated from for quite some time.

The ticket ladies looked absolutely exhausted and angered as well, and who could blame them. It of course was not their fault, they were told what to do, and followed orders. The question is this... WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SUCH POOR PLANNING AND FORESIGHT?

Furthermore, I came to realize I was one of the lucky. I was later told by other friends that the officers began turning students away at the gate. Can you imagine? Students, who had payed for tickets months in advance, being turned away at the gate. I will also point out there were still plenty of seats in the student section. Apparently, as this continued, the anger grew to a new level in the now "mob" of students. People began yelling to "storm the gates," which did eventually happen to some extent apparently, because students began entering again after a lengthy period in which they were denied entry. Many students missed half of the first quarter, and perhaps more. I only talked to friends that missed half of the quarter, who knows how many were in back of them.

In retrospect, I was one of the lucky ones, if you can call it that. Standing in line for an hour, making it just in time for kickoff, and enduring the conditions of pushing and shoving and the mob like atmosphere was an absolute disgrace to this great University. I love going to school in Tuscaloosa, but this was absolutely outrageous. I apologize for my rant, but this has been gnawing at me since last night. And as I said, I was a lucky one. I am truly angered at the University for not only my experience, but for that of my friends and fellow students who were told they couldn't enter the game with a ticket they had purchased, and were forced to miss minutes upon minutes of the game.

Hopefully, this situation will be resolved next week, but I won't hold my breath. Guess I'll be showing up 2 hours early next week.

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
If what you say is true, "they turned away ticket holders"

That's illegal, unless they give you a refund...

The University doesn't wield that much power :)

TideFever

Suspended
Dec 26, 2004
At the Capstone
If what you say is true, "they turned away ticket holders"

That's illegal, unless they give you a refund...

The University doesn't wield that much power :)
I'm telling you what happened. You of course, have the choice to believe me or not, though I fail to see why I would just make this up for the hell of it. Be thankful you didn't have to endure the crap students put up with.

And with this type of response that you have provided, it wouldn't surprise me if no change occurs. Students don't hold any type of power, and the court of public opinion is all we can hope will change this.

Last edited:

Andy

3rd Team
Jan 21, 2005
The story is true as far as the students not being let in. I have seen it on other boards. Also, I noticed at the game that the student section had many vacant seats until well after the game started. If someone can find out what happened let everyone know!!

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
I wondered what was going on at the student gates. My seats are in the west upper deck, and we enter from the southwest spiral ramp, so coming from the Quad we usually go down sorority row and around the southeast corner of the stadium (the student section) to get to our gate. I told my wife they must be strip-searching every student looking for alcohol or cigarettes or whatever else has been banned from the stadium. That's really poor on the University's part. The south end zone was practically empty during all the pre-game exercises when we were supposedly celebrating the largest football crowd in Alabama history. Well, the crowd showed up -- some of them just weren't allowed to actually enter the stadium until after the game started. Terrible!

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm telling you what happened. You of course, have the choice to believe me or not, though I fail to see why I would just make this up for the hell of it. Be thankful you didn't have to endure the crap students put up with.

And with this type of response that you have provided, it wouldn't surprise me if no change occurs. Students don't hold any type of power, and the court of public opinion is all we can hope will change this.

I am a student, and I didn't have to go through what you guys went through. Thankfully I arrived two hours before kick-off. It still took me about ten minutes to get in.

The police officer at the gate said it was the most unusual thing he'd seen, all these students arriving so early.

TideFever

Suspended
Dec 26, 2004
At the Capstone
I am a student, and I didn't have to go through what you guys went through. Thankfully I arrived two hours before kick-off. It still took me about ten minutes to get in.

The police officer at the gate said it was the most unusual thing he'd seen, all these students arriving so early.
Ah, I see. And that continues my amazement... a ton of student arrived earlier than usual, thus, some of the load should have been taken off when students arrived later.

Hawk324

Suspended
Dec 5, 1999
AL
Yes, and i'm sure this was just what the UAPD wanted to do. Alienate the poor student body. Surely you cant believe that the UAPD said to themselves "Wow, we've got a new stadium to show off and the nation is watching. I know,...lets screw with the student body today". :rolleyes:

If someone had set off a fire bomb in the student section, you'd have been screaming bloody murder why students hadn't been searched. I can imagine that the Dept of homeland Security may have issued an advisory to all colleges this season. In this case, imo the wait would have been worth it, though you'd like to see a quicker method of searching.

If only students were searched, then they may have been looking for alcohol maybe? I dunno. Having worked with college students in the past, i should point out that chants of "storm the gates" were not helping matters. Perhaps this is why some got turned away? Ticket holders are not guaranteed refunds if they display misconduct at the gates or in the games.

I would have been aggrevated too. But you had to know that the officials at the gates (including the police) were probably more aggrevated than the (often spoiled) students. Those people may have been verbally insulted long before you got there. Those people (including the police) were also just trying to do a job...a tougher job than it may appear.

As a student...I would have kept my mouth shut, endured the wait, gone in and complained later (like you have done). I would NOT have shouted 'storm the gates'. What a buncha whiny crybabies. Some students think that because they pay tuition the world owes them special privelages.

Listen, I was a student there and I also worked there in the past. I've been on both sides of the aisle and can safely say that no one intended to alienate the student body. As a matter of fact, the admin and officials at the UofA bend over backwards to place students on a pedestal more often than not. And more often than not, students still complain and want their problems addressed now...not later.

Consider yesterday a lesson in real life. It was an inconvenience and there may ahve been more to it than just P#$sing you off. You have a student government organization....use it. Instead of crying about this, get your government to find out why there were delays and how THEY can help reduce it at future games. Get the Crimson & White to do an investigation of why there were delays and what can be done to aid the officials in the future. Go see the Director of Student Affairs. They'll talk with you.

Don't just complain to the 4 winds.

:rolleyes:

Mav^

3rd Team
Sep 11, 2005
You have a student government organization....use it.
ROFL. Sadly, nothing gets accomplished with those people. They can't go against anything that happens within the administration, because their sole purpose for being in the SGA is to make friendly connections with the admin to solidify a job in the future.

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
students think that because they pay tuition the world owes them special privelages.

Actually, the University owes us special privileges, not the world. Since the University operates the Football stadium, the Stadium owes the students special privileges.

Just like the high-rollers that buy season tickets in "The Zone" get access to the club lounge, and some of them get a reserved parking spot right next to the stadium.

We as students pay for tuition, which include open access to every single home game.

You came close to the right answer, but from the wrong direction.

BTW: For future reference, calling U of A students spoiled is not the best choice of words to put together in a sentence. Alot of UA students browse this board and alot of them are members (including me)

Take if from me, that there are a slim majority of student that are spoiled, not the entire student body.

Bad choice of words, perhaps not intended, but a bad choice of words.

stereotyping is bad m'kay :biggrin2:

-rkw-

Last edited:

TideFever

Suspended
Dec 26, 2004
At the Capstone
Yes, and i'm sure this was just what the UAPD wanted to do. Alienate the poor student body. Surely you cant believe that the UAPD said to themselves "Wow, we've got a new stadium to show off and the nation is watching. I know,...lets screw with the student body today". :rolleyes:
Next time, try not to take words out of my mouth. I never said they had the intent to do what they did, they simply just did it. Grow up. If you are going to disagree with me, do so without misconstruing my comments.

If someone had set off a fire bomb in the student section, you'd have been screaming bloody murder why students hadn't been searched.
Oh look, you're putting words in my mouth again. Hint to the unwise: this is not an acceptable form of discussion.

I can imagine that the Dept of homeland Security may have issued an advisory to all colleges this season. In this case, imo the wait would have been worth it, though you'd like to see a quicker method of searching.
Quite right.

If only students were searched, then they may have been looking for alcohol maybe? I dunno. Having worked with college students in the past, i should point out that chants of "storm the gates" were not helping matters.
Never claimed that it did. However, I can understand the anger. Would you have been content to just leave if you had payed for tickets and had never encountered a problem like this before?

Perhaps this is why some got turned away? Ticket holders are not guaranteed refunds if they display misconduct at the gates or in the games.
Ok. This isn't what I'm discussing though.

I would have been aggrevated too.
Thank you.

But you had to know that the officials at the gates (including the police) were probably more aggrevated than the (often spoiled) students.
I've already said that. I pointed out that the ticket ladies look very hassled, and I felt bad for them. Perhaps I put to much blame on the police. I needed to put added emphasis on the actual process. However, your added "often spoiled" students really irks the hell out of me. There are those of us paying thousands of dollars a year to attend this University, and you presume to call us "often spoiled" because we want to use our purchased to enter a damn football game. Give me a break.

Those people may have been verbally insulted long before you got there. Those people (including the police) were also just trying to do a job...a tougher job than it may appear.
I've already said as much.

As a student...I would have kept my mouth shut, endured the wait, gone in and complained later (like you have done). I would NOT have shouted 'storm the gates'. What a buncha whiny crybabies. Some students think that because they pay tuition the world owes them special privelages.
Special privelages? Pardon me, but how is entering the game with tickets you paid for "special privelages?" You are really pulling at air here. And good for you, I'm glad you wouldn't have fallen to the verbal barrage that arrose. But your simplistic approach really is lost to logic.

Listen, I was a student there and I also worked there in the past. I've been on both sides of the aisle and can safely say that no one intended to alienate the student body.
And AGAIN, I never said there was intent. You don't have to intend to do something to actually have it happen. Geesh.

As a matter of fact, the admin and officials at the UofA bend over backwards to place students on a pedestal more often than not. And more often than not, students still complain and want their problems addressed now...not later.
I'd like to see an example of this, because you continue to claim this.

Consider yesterday a lesson in real life. It was an inconvenience and there may ahve been more to it than just P#$sing you off. You have a student government organization....use it.
Please. It should never come to this. And if I know our students, the SGA is already working on something, though they hold absolutely no legal authority, so your point is mute at its source.

Instead of crying about this, get your government to find out why there were delays and how THEY can help reduce it at future games.
You really enjoy the use of the word "crying," don't you? Apparently, you've never complained about anything in your life when you thought you got the short end of the stick. I apologize Mr. Holier than Thou. :rolleyes:

Get the Crimson & White to do an investigation of why there were delays and what can be done to aid the officials in the future.
They are, this much I know.

Don't just complain to the 4 winds.
Glad to see you care about the treatment of fellow fans. :rolleyes: Apparently, if it doesn't directly hurt or affect you, screw it, right? :rolleyes:

Hawk324

Suspended
Dec 5, 1999
AL
Never claimed that it did. However, I can understand the anger. Would you have been content to just leave if you had payed for tickets and had never encountered a problem like this before?

I've already said that. I pointed out that the ticket ladies look very hassled, and I felt bad for them. Perhaps I put to much blame on the police. I needed to put added emphasis on the actual process. However, your added "often spoiled" students really irks the hell out of me. There are those of us paying thousands of dollars a year to attend this University, and you presume to call us "often spoiled" because we want to use our purchased to enter a damn football game. Give me a break.

Glad to see you care about the treatment of fellow fans. :rolleyes: Apparently, if it doesn't directly hurt or affect you, screw it, right? :rolleyes:
You did place too much blame where it shouldn't be placed. The people at the gates are doing a hard job when i'm sure they'd much rather be enjoying the festivities like others.

Also, I happen to know that the average student can't pony up the cash to pay their own tuition. Your mommies or daddies do. Or you get a grant or scholarship. So the University owes you a chance at an education and that's all. It does not owe you special quick access to the games.

Look, if you take a moment, re-read what I'd said, you'll come to see that I actually sympatized somewhat to your dilemma. I understand some of the aggrevation too. My target was those you said were chanting for students to storm the gates. Surely you realize that that is just plain dumb. I'm embarrassed to learn that such idiots go to the U of A. You just don't like it because I dared criticize some of the students and said they are often spoiled.

Well guess what...they are!

You earlier post said something to the effect that the students have to put up with a lot of crap. Bull. The students at the U of A have the world layed out before them. They get to buy season tickets at reduced rates when the rest of the public has to scramble for tickets. i wouldimagine I pay more for an average ticket than you have to pay for most of your season package. thats the way it used to be anyway.

Students have the finest facilities in the country (or close to it) to avail themselves. They have a playground worthy of Las Vegas to enjoy. They have restaurants in the center of the campus to enjoy. They have every advantage that you could possibly want laid at their feet. They have medical facilities and counseling facilities and recreational facitlites and internet access. They even have leisure communities being built...just for them! Various organizations exist tailored to practically every interest. Condos and townhouses dot the landscape of the campus. Luxurious beautiful stadiums...enough to make any student, fan or Alumnus proud.

And you guys complain because you had to wait a couple of hours to get into the freaking game? You know in your heart (some of) you guys are being very petty and acting like spoiled brats over this. What are you going to do when you have to wait in lines for licenses and tags and taxes and...God forbid...shopping sprees?

I think its time for you grow up.

thbama

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 30, 2002
High Point, NC
I am a student here at Alabama and I arrived at the gates at 4:15 and the lines weren't short at all. While there were clearly defined lines for each gate, each line was all the way to the street and about 5 people wide. The reason I think the lines took so long is because the ABC is cracking down in Tuscaloosa. While I know they are doing their job, I think there comes a time when their search for hidden alcohol causes more problems, i.e. the mob of students outside the gates previously mentioned. Lord knows that people not sitting in the student section sneak liquor into the games, why not check them too if it isn't permitted in BDS??? And I would also like to say that you alumni, or those who didnt even attend UA who are telling us students to "grow up" and "quit complaining", don't even try to act like you wouldn't be outraged if this incident occured at the gate you enter in...give me a break.

Last edited:

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
You did place too much blame where it shouldn't be placed. The people at the gates are doing a hard job when i'm sure they'd much rather be enjoying the festivities like others.

Also, I happen to know that the average student can't pony up the cash to pay their own tuition. Your mommies or daddies do. Or you get a grant or scholarship. So the University owes you a chance at an education and that's all. It does not owe you special quick access to the games.

Look, if you take a moment, re-read what I'd said, you'll come to see that I actually sympatized somewhat to your dilemma. I understand some of the aggrevation too. My target was those you said were chanting for students to storm the gates. Surely you realize that that is just plain dumb. I'm embarrassed to learn that such idiots go to the U of A. You just don't like it because I dared criticize some of the students and said they are often spoiled.

Well guess what...they are!

You earlier post said something to the effect that the students have to put up with a lot of crap. Bull. The students at the U of A have the world layed out before them. They get to buy season tickets at reduced rates when the rest of the public has to scramble for tickets. i wouldimagine I pay more for an average ticket than you have to pay for most of your season package. thats the way it used to be anyway.

Students have the finest facilities in the country (or close to it) to avail themselves. They have a playground worthy of Las Vegas to enjoy. They have restaurants in the center of the campus to enjoy. They have every advantage that you could possibly want laid at their feet. They have medical facilities and counseling facilities and recreational facitlites and internet access. They even have leisure communities being built...just for them! Various organizations exist tailored to practically every interest. Condos and townhouses dot the landscape of the campus. Luxurious beautiful stadiums...enough to make any student, fan or Alumnus proud.

And you guys complain because you had to wait a couple of hours to get into the freaking game? You know in your heart (some of) you guys are being very petty and acting like spoiled brats over this. What are you going to do when you have to wait in lines for licenses and tags and taxes and...God forbid...shopping sprees?

I think its time for you grow up.

I think you're being really rude. Using the term "mommies and daddies" was issued as a direct and premeditated insult towards me and my fellow students.

We aren't allowed to spar and fight on this forum so I will not issue any form of a personal attack.

I will suggest that you stop insulting me and my fellow students, by delivering condescending statements and "higher than thou" mentality.

You continue to stereotype. Not everyone's PARENTS pay for their tuition. Most students are going to school on federal stafford loans and pell grants.

Most of the student body is "assisted" by their parents but this is not Orange County, California and I don't know of that many students who's parents just up and paid their tuition.

I work at k-mart 30/hrs a week. Please don't stereotype, It hurts feelings and shows a lack of class towards the great majority of students that are helping themselves make it through college.

Take a brief walk-through of Tuscaloosa. Visit k-mart, wal-mart, The University Mall, the shopping center off of McFarland, the fast food restaurants...and you will see that students dominate those businesses.

Students are working hard for thier education, don't mock them.

Again, please don't stereotype or act condescening towards current students. It's very insulting and makes people not like you.

(I could stereotype your generation as "grumpy old men")

but of course, I won't do that :)

have a great day!

Roll Tide Roll

-rkw-

Last edited:

crimson mo

1st Team
Nov 26, 2001
columbus,MS
Lord knows that people not sitting in the student section sneak liquor into the games, why not check them too if it isn't permitted in BDS???
They do!!
Before 9/11 the searches were light and you could bring in bags, heck till 9/11 I brought a "back pack" to every game.
Since 9/11 Back packs and bags (bigger than a medium size purse) are prohibited and you are searched at each gate.
Some gates will get you searched better than others depending on who is working it.
I have seen gates right next to each other, one letting people in with out as much as a "what’s in the bag" and the one next to it making women open up their purses and searching every camera bag.
At the ole miss game I got frisked by the cops while going into the game.
The only real gripe the students should have is being turned away when they had tickets in hand, the searches are a part of life in this post 9/11 era.
But hey it’s still a free country so gripe about what ever you want to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.