Tyson Thomas

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
with limited scholarships available due to sanctions, using a precious scholarship by adding to our current stable of tailbacks a player with less than 4 yrs eligibility makes no sense whatsoever. besides, we already have commitments from 3 running backs.

------------------
If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.
--Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
I think Fran wants more of a run by committee until he can find that one back. I don't think Beard is him. Thomas would be a great addition because it gives us 2 years to break in our freshmen RBs (Darby & Castille).

As far as those who say we don't want him then I would say why have we offered him a scholarship?

If he helps us win 2-3 games vs. breaking in our young RBs I say sign him.

------------------

"Through this adversity, we will move forward and become stronger than ever." Mal Moore

"I made up my own mind, but my dad gave me a little advice," Tim Castille said. "He played at the school 20 years ago. He told me, ‘You see treatment I’ve received and how much they love me. If you and some other guys help turn the program around, people at Alabama will love you the same way.’

"I’ve been able to see the way people love him in this state because of the way he played football. That really helped me make my decision."

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
uh, guys ... five words for ya:

BRODIE CROYLE NEEDS WIDE RECEIVERS!

considering NCAA sanctions we have enough RBs right now ... we desperately need receivers as the offense continues to evolve into a pro multiple type

Musso, I didn't realize that Coach Fran had confided in you that a multiple pro style offense was the offense that he was hoping to turn Bama toward.

The point is, if there is a player that is an absolute stud, say, like Shawn Alexander, he's just too good to pass up. I'm saying that if he's THAT good, yeah, I can understand signing him.

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
TiderinVA,

use yer noggin ... Brodie could have signed with practically any school in the free world. you can't possibly think that he was sold on the offer to come to Alabama in order to be an option QB ... the kid's got an arm that 90% of college QBs wish they had. he's said himself that he prefers to drop back and pass over running the ball. Fran knows this and will mold the offense accordingly. hmmmm, how does he do this while on probabtion with limited schollies to offer and a depleted WR corps? he makes WR a top recruiting priority ...

besides, i read a while ago in an Alabama newspaper that Fran would gradually change the offense to a pro type to compliment Brodie's skills ... as any good coach would do when they have such a talented QB.

bottom line - signing a JUCO RB when you already have a talented stable of RBs, you have limited schollies to offer, you have a QB with a canon of an arm, and there is a most glaring need for WRs ... would be the most irresponsible recruiting move Fran could make this year!

it is beyond me how you can think otherwise!

[This message has been edited by MUSSO (edited September 20, 2002).]

BamaKam

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2002
Orlando, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MUSSO:
bottom line - signing a JUCO RB when you already have a talented stable of RBs, you have limited schollies to offer, you have a QB with a canon of an arm, and there is a most glaring need for WRs ... would be the most irresponsible recruiting move Fran could make this year!

it is beyond me how you can think otherwise!

[This message has been edited by MUSSO (edited September 20, 2002).]
</font>
Well Musso, despite our differences over the DL depth chart, we agree on the JUCO and RB situation. Why, oh why, would Bama want to give any JUCO, particularly a JUCO RB a scholly when we have the following coming back:

Beard, Williams, Hudson, Darby, Castille (commit) and Packer (commit). Some are even enamored with the McClain boys ability to run with the rock.

With such glaring needs as WR (hoo boy!) and future depth challenges at OL and DL (see our ongoing debate on another thread), why would we use a scholly on a JUCO RB, even if he were the next Herschel Walker, it isn't worth it IMO.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
Of course we need WRs, but Williams/Beard will be Sr next year. Bringing in a stud JC RB while Rfr Darby and Redshirting Castille get ready.

Depending on freshmen for depth might not be the best solution, but in the end I am behind whatever Coach Fran decides.

FYI, we have offered about 10 WRs and none have committed yet. Why? We don't have much depth and Fran has shown he will throw the ball. We can't afford to wait to see if we get our top choices. If they won't commit soon we will accept the first ones to accept (whether that be RB or defensive players).

It's all a moot point. Fran has already offered the RB.

http://scout.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=14&p=9&c=4&pid=11

------------------

"Through this adversity, we will move forward and become stronger than ever." Mal Moore

"I made up my own mind, but my dad gave me a little advice," Tim Castille said. "He played at the school 20 years ago. He told me, ‘You see treatment I’ve received and how much they love me. If you and some other guys help turn the program around, people at Alabama will love you the same way.’

"I’ve been able to see the way people love him in this state because of the way he played football. That really helped me make my decision."

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL

apparently, yes, but during probation and scholarship limitations can't a coach offer a scholarship with conditions?

BamaKam

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2002
Orlando, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TommyMac:
There's probably no reason to RS Darby, he's already benching 0ver 400 lbs.</font>
what difference does that make? We are all excited about him, but I don't think anyone wants to waste a year when he might get 20 carries total!

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
MUSSO

Thank you.

WE NEED WR'S and MORE WR'S.

Croyle is the highest potential talent we have recruited in years and if we do not use his potential to 100%, then something is wrong with our program.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MUSSO:

apparently, yes, but during probation and scholarship limitations can't a coach offer a scholarship with conditions?
</font>
Of course there are conditions, first come first serve. FYI, the scholarship was offered after we got the commitments from McLain and Castille.

Fran's method of recruiting is get the best that is out there. I'm sure he addresses the team's need as well. But, if it comes down to 1 schollie left and a targeted WR sits on it till early Feb and the JC RB commits then that will be fine with Fran. We will just have more of a running team.

------------------

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Tide:
But, if it comes down to 1 schollie left and a targeted WR sits on it till early Feb and the JC RB commits then that will be fine with Fran. We will just have more of a running team.
</font>
I just don't see a responsible coach like Coach Fran committing such a travesty when we have such potential at passing the ball with Croyle and Pennington. As I said before Croyle didn't come here to become good at hand offs and get pounded running the option.

Musso, I AM using my "noggin". What I'm saying is that if this young man is as good as Shawn Alexander or LaDanian Tomlinson right now (and I don't know if he is or isn't) but assuming he's that good and is the kind of back that can literally carry a team like Alexander did, I'm sorry but that kind of player is just too good to pass up.

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TiderinVA:
... I'm sorry but that kind of player is just too good to pass up.</font>
apology accepted ... apparently you don't understand how scholarship limitations affects recruiting strategy ... that's alright, we'll see who Fran signs in the end.

------------------
If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading a magazine.

ROLLER

Banned
Mar 3, 2002
Winnersville, AL, USA
Hey the dude has been clocked at 4.3 in the 40. Add to that he's 6' 205 pounds. I would offer him with Beard, Hudson, and Williams gone on his senior season. I figure if he commits then we will back off at this postition a bit.

------------------
"CRIMSON PANTS, WHITE STRIPES"

BamaKam

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2002
Orlando, FL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ROLLER:
Hey the dude has been clocked at 4.3 in the 40. Add to that he's 6' 205 pounds. I would offer him with Beard, Hudson, and Williams gone on his senior season. I figure if he commits then we will back off at this postition a bit.
</font>
Back off at his position? We already have Castille and Packer at RB/A. But I can understand the attraction. Fran signed him out of HS and obviously likes his game. My feeling is he gets a scholly if a LOT of plans fall through. The way I figure it, we have about 6 scholly's left if the current commits and Browder are eligible. With a strong stable of backs (Beard, Shaud, Ray, Darby, Castille, Packer) and HUGE needs at DL, OL, WR, I don't see him getting a scholly unless we can't get some combination of:

Dominic Lee DL
William Roach WR/S
Chad Jackson WR
Jayson Swain WR
Matt Caddell WR
Aaron Sears OL
Tyrone Protho WR/DB
Robert Meachem WR
Omar Conner QB/Athlete
Kelcey Luke QB/Athlete
Daniel Brooks LB
Mitchell Thomas LB
Terrance Jones LB

We stand a chance to get at least 6 of these kids. Unless we lose out on a LOT of them, I don't see Tyson coming to Bama. I doubt very seriously that he is a higher priority than any of the above mentioned 4 year players. Even if he is the next Shaun Alexander, he would be at Bama for only 2 years and it's not like Bama is a RB away from dominance.

Also remember that after Tyler leaves we only have 3 QB's on scholly. I have advocated not signing a QB this class (wait til next year) but it would make sense for Bama to sign a QB, particurlarly a Luke or Conner that can play DB or WR if needed. By the way, as Musso pointed out, "offered" does not necessarily mean without strings. He could have been offered "if such and such situation occurs." Oh well, that's my opinion.

MUSSO

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 9, 2001
Tallahassee, FL
Ah yes ... what a good post that was BamaKam!

------------------
If you're a cowboy and you're dragging a guy behind your horse, I bet it would really make you mad if you looked back and the guy was reading a magazine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.