Let's Hope the NCAA Changes the Timeout Rule

LrgK9

3rd Team
Jul 1, 2005
Most coaches eschew the kind of win at the twisting of the rules extremes Urban Meyer has no qualms about. Calling a time out by holding on to the Ref's shoulder and hollering 'Now" in his ear while the ball is literally being snapped.This is obviously an unsportsmanlike situation imo. Not in the spirit of the game.

Heck, they took celebrations after a TD out, this is nuclear in comparison.
What's next from Meyer? Coaching the WR's to deliberately make the defender run into them by slowing down.
Coaching the QBs to feign injury on sacks?
Having the players play hurt on hits at the sidelines?

Unsportsmanlike and that's all i have to say about that.

Urban Meyer is a poster child for the vainglorious win at any cost crowd that typifies UF.. No wonder the OBC left his own and went to Columbia.

As an aside, it appears that we may have under-rated Auburn.
Their loss to South Florida doesn't look so bad now that SF whupped West Virginia.

Plus Kansas State topples Texas.

That officious crew that reffed the UA/FSU game is the worst crew in all of CFB imo. That's the crew that called back the winning TD in the UGA/Tech game when our RB was in the endzone and down on the ground and the ball was ripped out. prior to replay but still ...

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Coaches and players do that all the time. Why should there be a limit on when the coach can call a time-out? What if he noticed just before the kick they only had 10 men on the field?

LrgK9

3rd Team
Jul 1, 2005
Nahh, Saban iced the kicker.

Meyer is over the line of decorum imo. Deliberate.

I think they oughta get rid of the whole ice the kicker stuff - period.

Shorten the game and take away commercial time though...

Last edited:
Nahh, Saban iced the kicker.

Meyer is over the line of decorum imo. Deliberate.

I think they oughta get rid of the whole ice the kicker stuff - period.

Shorten the game and take away commercial time though...
Every coaching move is deliberate. If I was in Meyer's spot, I would have done the same thing. Icing the kicker is one of the last lines of defense a coach has in that type of situation.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Using all timeouts before an important kick at the end of a game is one thing, waiting long enough for the opponent to actually run the play, then making them do it again because of a last-second timeout is another thing.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I have one word for you.... Why?

It's part of the strategy of game. I have no problems with it.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I'm going to agree with LrgK9 not about "icing" the kicker, but the timing of calling a timeout.

IMHO, if you wait so late to call the timeout that the ref can't whistle before the snap, then too bad, too sad. The play should stand and the timeout should not be allowed.

I didn't hear the whistle blow until after the kick was in the air. Now what are the consequences of allowing a play to begin and then stopping play for a late timeout?

The amount of time that elapsed last night between the snap and when the whistle blew would be enough time for a blitzing linebacker to shoot through the line of scrimmage and level a quarterback. If a coach called timeout right at the snap, and the whistle doesn't blow for another 2 or 3 seconds, then what is the ruling in this case?

From the NCAA Football Rulebook for 2007:

Rule 4, Section 1, Article 1. After a dead ball has been declared ready for play, it becomes
a live ball when it is legally snapped or legally free-kicked. A ball snapped
or free-kicked before the ready for play remains dead (A.R. 2-15-4-I, A.R.
3-2-6-I, A.R. 4-1-4-I and II, A.R. 7-1-3-VI, and A.R. 7-1-5-I and II).

Rule 4, Section 1, Article 2a. A live ball becomes a dead ball as provided in the rules or
when an official sounds his whistle (even though inadvertently) or otherwise
signals the ball dead (A.R. 4-2-1-II and A.R. 4-2-4-I). (3-2-2-i).

Rule 4, Section 1, Article 2c. If a foul occurs during any of the above downs, the penalty shall be
administered as in any other play situation if not in conflict with other
rules (A.R. 4-1-2-I and II).

So, according to the rules a ball is live between the time it is snapped and the time that a whistle is blown. But, it appears that the official can rule his whistle retroactive. So, even though the ball was snapped and play ensued, technically, the play never began... so is the linebacker charged with a dead-ball penalty for hitting the quarterback when the ball was legally dead?

Rule 9, Section 1, Article 2h. No opponent shall tackle or block the runner when he is clearly out of
bounds or throw him to the ground after the ball becomes dead (A.R.
9-1-2-XIII).

There's a paradox here. Either the ball was live and the hit by the linebacker was legal or the ball was dead and the hit by the linebacker was illegal. You can't have it both ways and obey the rules. Either an official cannot rule his whistle retroactive therefore making anything that happens between the snap and the whistle a valid play or a head coach on offense that sees that a blitz is going to succeed and blow up his QB can call a timeout at basically the same time as the snap and not only invalidate a sack, but get himself a 15-yard dead-ball penalty at the same time.

If anyone can legitimately rebut this premise, feel free to do so. I think that allowing a time-out to "effectively" be called after the ball is in play (since the whistle will obviously not occur prior to the snap) is going to cause some major headaches and a lot of angst between coaches and officials.

CrimsonChampion

Suspended
Aug 28, 2007
Go back and watch the Alabama/Georgia game. Coach Saban did basically the same thing before Georgia missed the field goal at the end of regulation... granted, he called the time-out before the snap but he still had the referee right by him.
He did it three times!:biggrin:

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I agree with the OP. Calling timeouts to ice the kicker is fine but telling the official that you are going to do it right before the snap and to be ready for it needs to be stopped.

In the Oakland-Denver game a couple of weeks ago, Denver called a timeout so late that Oakland snapped the ball and kicked a long, game winning field goal - only it was wiped out by the time out. He then missed it the next try and Denver marched down and kicked their own game winning FG.

I would propose that the rules be changed to that any timeout asked for after the FG team has lined up must be delayed for 5 seconds.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.