Watching "Aaron's Football in the South"

I was just home from a business trip to southern Maryland and I get Dish Network with my "local" channels out of Washington DC. Imagine my surprise when I see a show I've never seen "Aaron (of Aaron's Rents, a rent all store chain)'s Football in the South", a kind of weekly show on college football in the South.

I was watching a segment on LSU and an interview with Saban. The idiot interviewer implied that it was purely Saban's ability as a coach that got them their NC.

Don't get me wrong, I think CNS is a pretty good coach but what puts him over the top is that he's an incredible recruiter. I was thinking that for Alabama to get back on top quickly, CMS has got to be a fantastic recruiter in the next few years. One good class isn't enough.

I think the jury is still out on CMS as a coach but so far (at least his first recruiting class anyway) he's proven to be a good recruiter. I just hope and pray he can land another class that's as good, if not better, than last year's class. He needs to land some absolute studs in this coming class. Barnes should be a VERY good QB and that's a start but it's not nearly enough. I know many on here pooh-pooh the recruiting services but it's no coincidence that LSU's rise has been due in large (but certainly not all) part to incredible recruiting that last 3-4 years.

I'm sorry but Alabama desperately needs the same thing. I'm sure some of the beleivers in the "Rudy" symdrome will flame me but it's true. It's just not enough to want to play for the Tide. If that was the case, Alabama would have a bunch of 5'4" 130 lbs guys running around out there.

TIDETilliDie

2nd Team
Aug 31, 2002
Bham/Hoover, AL USA
recruits

Just to let you know...i'm just came from the scrimmgae today and was very impressed with the talent at the receiver position(the new freshman). Hall, Brown, and Knight look like giants out there and Aaron Johns is a wrecking ball. He had several great runs and a really good block on newcomer Marcus Carter.

This being said i hope i put your mind at ease on the recruits because the upcoming class that is already halfway complete is looking as good if not better.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
tiderinva,
i often criticize the recruiting "gurus," but it's usually about their emphasis on specific players...and more so at how they often miss the ball completely on some truly great players who they rate at the 2-3 star level. there a plenty of great players who fall below the radar for some reason, while others are totally over-hyped.

that being said, however, there is no question that you have to haul in top-notch classes year in and year out to be a perennial title contender. it's not just a coincidence that fsu, miami, and oklahoma are always in the top 10 in recruiting and always in the top 10 nationally. but they still have to be coached, no matter how much potential they have.

the great teams get great recruits who are then coached very well. if shula can do both, then we'll be in good shape for a good while to come.

RTR

U-A

All-American
Jul 15, 2004
New Orleans, LA
Saban has done a great job but when LSU goes 8-3 this year and maybe/maybe not wins the West, I think this god-like image will be a bit more sub-due and LSU wont be looked upon as the all-mighty West God's as I think many are doing after their great year.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
U-A said:
Saban has done a great job but when LSU goes 8-3 this year and maybe/maybe not wins the West, I think this god-like image will be a bit more sub-due and LSU wont be looked upon as the all-mighty West God's as I think many are doing after their great year.
Hey U-A, what teams will be the 3 losses you predict for LSU this year. It is Georgia that is being overhyped in my estimation this year. Saban has slowly and methodically built a program (IMO) at LSU. I think Georgia is good but i would not be surprised to see them with at least 2 losses this year; one could very well be LSU at home.

U-A

All-American
Jul 15, 2004
New Orleans, LA
bamamoss2 said:
Hey U-A, what teams will be the 3 losses you predict for LSU this year. It is Georgia that is being overhyped in my estimation this year. Saban has slowly and methodically built a program (IMO) at LSU. I think Georgia is good but i would not be surprised to see them with at least 2 losses this year; one could very well be LSU at home.
Well look at their schedule....at Auburn, at Georgia, at Florida....I can easily see 2 losses if not all against those teams. Then you have to deal with us in BR where we have lost once since '69 and then Ole Miss at LSU, which is always close....then Ark at their place.

Randall is not a good QB from what I have seen and they lost a lot last year. The comparisons from him to Mauck are absurd as Matt always won games and didnt make mistakes....Randall has not shown any of that in his time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.