Question: Saban's defensive scheme is nothing unique. So what makes his "different"?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Nick Saban has become very popular for his style of defense and how aggressive and "confusing" it is. But does Saban run a "unique" style of defense that nobody else runs? No. A lot of other coaches (both in pro & college) run his same scheme. So why does Saban's seem so different?

I had an LSU buddy of mine tell me the reason and I believe he hit the nail on the head. He said not only does Nick Saban recruit great talent and can develop it, but he DOES NOT recruit "stupid" or "dumb" players. Not saying every recruit is always a success but for the most part he recruits cerebral players. He told me Nick Saban demands players to understand the mental aspect of the game and that's what makes Saban's defense different. Once the players have the mental aspect of his defense down he has availability of the ENTIRE defensive playbook at his disposal. While many teams (even on the pro level) cannot completely open their defensive playbook because of the lack of complete understanding of the scheme.

Nick Saban loves to get physically talented players just like any coach. But he also puts just as much emphasis on the player being able to grasp the mental aspect of the scheme as well.

R

rolltidescott

Re: Saban's defensive scheme is nothing unique. So what makes his "different"?

I do think that Saban reqruits well for his needs and recruits guys that can learn his defense. But I've also read that he employs a LOT of variations and I think it helps keep opposing offenses 'confused'.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ

I am not sure that he is recruiting "smarter" players. I think that he teaches his players that there is more to the game than the physical element. He demands more than other coaches. He expects discipline and focus. He expects the players to understand their responsibility on every play, in every situation.

A player need not be "smarter" to play for CNS, but he needs to be willing to study football instead of just playing football...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I do think that Saban reqruits well for his needs and recruits guys that can learn his defense. But I've also read that he employs a LOT of variations and I think it helps keep opposing offenses 'confused'.

He can only employ those variations with players that have grasp the scheme well enough for him to do that. Remember, one of the reasons Jerrell Harris didn't hardly touch the field this season was because of him struggling with learning the scheme.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I am not sure that he is recruiting "smarter" players. I think that he teaches his players that there is more to the game than the physical element. He demands more than other coaches. He expects discipline and focus. He expects the players to understand their responsibility on every play, in every situation.

A player need not be "smarter" to play for CNS, but he needs to be willing to study football instead of just playing football...
He recruits players that have the ability to grasp the mental side of the game. Just like you can't teach a lot of physical talent that same principle also applies to the mental side as well. Yes, a player can be taught and the player can learn. But he has to have the mental ability or "talent" if you will to do that. CNS Saban is REAL BIG when recruiting a player to speak with him face to face to get a sense of "how he's wired". There are a lot of things you can get from an in person visit than from a telephone conversation. I'm not saying he recruits Rhodes Scholars and Rocket Scientist. But I do know that he puts a lot of emphasis on a recruit's mental ability/talent as well. Which more times than not gets them on the field faster ala Donta Hightower.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

I think it's very different and few run it well. I recall time and time again thinking,,, " wow, what's he doing making the tackle way over there?" The answer??? Either(a) he was out of position and lucked up, or(b) his gap assignment was unexpected and he was where he was supposed to be. IF it was (a) he would be told "nice hit, now get on the bench". So I think the correct answer is (b). Just because I can't break it down don't make it not so. Lots of folk have trouble with it,,,,, especially QBs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

This isn't engineering. An average IQ will suffice...
It would surprise you how many kids that are on the field on Saturdays that keep OC's and DC's from doing what they really want to do simply because they struggle mightily with the mental side of the game. No, it's not engineering but it is not easy either and let's not dramatically oversimplify it. These schemes and playbooks these kids are required to learn these days are unreal and can get very complex. The better a player is able to digest and learn the mental side of it the bigger of an edge he has. The more players a team has on the field that have this ability (to go along with the physical talent) the bigger of an edge the team has and the more options a coach has with respect to playcalling from a defensive and offensive perspective.

But recruiting is more than just recruiting physical talent.

KC Bama fan

1st Team
Nov 17, 2004
Kansas City, MO

I think execution is a big part. I also think Saban and his coaches make great in game adjustments which is a HUGE part of the game IMO. His ability to see what an opposing offense is doing then adjust accordingly is what makes him an amazing coach. There are alot of coaches that can't do that. Pinkel and MU is a prime example. Pinkel is more offensive but it's the same principal. He can't make an adjustment in game to save his life and that is why, again IMO, why he hasn't won big games because his talent level is there.

So in short, execution and in game adjustments.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

You have to "Get it" before you can "Execute it". That's the mental side Buzzard is getting at.

About the face to face Saban likes to have. You can read a person's resume but when you see them face to face and ask a few questions a good CEO can tell if that person is feeding you a line of BS.

Last edited:

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001

Execution and intensity.
Agree about execution, but would substitute 'unpredictable' for 'intensity'. No two games are played the same. No pattern for blitzing on downs, or where from.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

This isn't engineering. An average IQ will suffice...
No, it's not engineering, but then again, engineers don't have to do their "thang" in fractions of seconds with other engineers trying to stifle their efforts. :biggrin:

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

No, it's not engineering, but then again, engineers don't have to do their "thang" in fractions of seconds with other engineers trying to stifle their efforts. :biggrin:
You've obviously never been in an engineering project meeting. :)

BTW... I believe that the reason that Saban's defenses are so successful is that he teaches players WHY they perform particular tactical movements in reaction to a specified action and this gives them an improved ability to improvise when something unexpected happens. He also demands better execution of smaller details than perhaps any other defensive coaches. Those are the things that end up setting his defense apart from other good defenses.

Last edited:

Crimson Pig

1st Team
Nov 29, 2004

I believe it's because he'll take your manhood in the same way that Lucifer took a vacation

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005

IMO it's the coaching staff . It matters not the level of talent or smarts a player has if the coaches are clueless when it comes to strategy . I feel our staff wins most battles during Sunday film sessions . There was no game this season that our defense was not thoroughly prepared because our staff doesn't allow our team to enter a game without an accurate assessment and complete knowledge of our opponents tendencies .

Anyhow , that's what I see and also believe to have been a major factor in our loss to Fla . They broke their tendencies by keeping the ball on the ground in the 4th qtr and beat us :( JOMO :)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Well, if you pay attention to what opposing coaches say, they comment on the number of different "fronts" they're confronted with in trying to play against Saban...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

It's who and how Coach recruits on the defensive side of the ball.

Then it's the preparation all week long, dissecting the other team's offense, as LCN pointed out.

Then, as so many here have said, it's the execution that Coach instills, trains, and demands.

I'd say the X-factor is his general aptitude for defense, adjusting schemes in-game, and what seems to be an endless, memorized creation of fronts, blitzes, and coverages. The guy is a defensive guru and I love it...

Hal Bennett

Suspended
Aug 18, 2008

I think it is in Delbert Reed's book, PAUL 'BEAR' BRYANT: WHAT MADE HIM A WINNER, that I read Vince Lombardi's comment to Bryant when they met, something like this: "People wonder why you win. It is because you keep the other team from scoring."

When we lived in New Orleans, for years it was this way -- watch Bear Bryant and Alabama win on Saturday, and then watch the Saints lose on Sunday. Then, when Jim Mora became head coach of the Saints, things changed. The "Dome Patrol," the Saints defense which included linebackers Sam Mills, Vaughn Johnson, and Pat Swilling, was one of the best NFL defenses ever. And they won ball games.

But Jim Mora played a "bend and don't break" defense. The Saints defense would never stop the opposing offense inside the opponent's 20 or 30 yard line. The defense would give up yards, give up yards, until they backed up past the fifty yard line, and then they would force the opponent to try a field goal.

Being used to a Bear Bryant defense, I would meanwhille be chewing nails. It occurred to me that Bryant and Alabama played a more aggressive style of defense; that if you got the ball on your own twenty, Alabama would contest whether you would move the ball to your thirty. The idea was to get you to punt the ball from inside your thirty. Alabama would even contest your holding onto the ball; if they could, they would cause you to fumble, or they would intercept -- and even run it in for a touchdown. Alabama defense was like a basketball defense that scores off turnovers.

I think that one reason we are so enamored of Nick Saban's style of play is that we sense this same aggressive mood in his defense that a lot of us knew when the Bear was at the helm. Regardless of who plays it, it is going to be an aggressive, blitzing style of defense, which tries to get the opposition to make mistakes, to turn the ball over -- so that the Bama offense can get the ball and quickly run up a lead -- if a Rashad Johnson hasn't already run an interception back for a TD.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.