Roster moves (transfers/draft/etc)

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I feel like this is getting started earlier this year, but since we already have 1 leaving, I'm going to go ahead and get a thread for this. I would expect a decent number to decide to move on this offseason. If you know/hear of anybody else, leave a comment and I'll edit them into this post.

Graduating:

Sam Finnerty
Keith Holcombe
Joe Breaux
Jeremy Randolph (also drafted)

Transferring:

Davis Vainer - Arizona (also drafted)
John Trousdale - Unknown (Entered transfer portal)
Wil Freeman - Returned to UA (Entered transfer portal)
Gene Wood - TCU
Kobe Morris - Southern Arkansas
Isaiah Byars - Chipola College
Daniel Carinci - Kansas State

Unconfirmed:

Kyle Cameron - Returned to UA

Drafted Players:

Deacon Medders -- 20-6 (593rd overall) Padres -- Signed
Davis Vainer -- 21-29 (646th overall) Astros -- Unsigned, but Transferring
Morgan McCullough -- 22-14 (661st overall) Angels -- Signed
Jeremy Randolph -- 26-18 (785th overall) Cardinals -- Signed
Brock Love -- 34-4 (1011th overall) Marlins - Signed

Drafted Signees:

CJ Abrams -- 1-6 (6th overall) Padres -- Signed
Gavin Collyer -- 12-8 (355th overall) Rangers -- Signed
Antoine Jean -- 17-11 (509th overall) Twins -- Coming to UA
Myles Austin -- 20-25 (613th overall) Brewers -- Coming to UA
Owen Diodati -- 29-10 (867th overall) Blue Jays -- Coming to UA
Jackson Tate (JUCO) -- 32-19 (966th overall) Mariners -- Coming to UA
Connor Prielipp -- 37-30 (1127th overall) Red Sox -- Coming to UA

Last edited:

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I feel like this is getting started earlier this year, but since we already have 1 leaving, I'm going to go ahead and get a thread for this. I would expect a decent number to decide to move on this offseason. If you know/hear of anybody else, leave a comment and I'll edit them into this post.

Transferring:

Davis Vainer - Arizona

This should be an interesting off season. We desperately need to add more talent to all aspects of the game. See what Coach Bo and company can do!

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
This was definitely Vainer's best overall season at UA. I thought he pitched better than his 5.40 ERA in SEC play, but he just couldn't get the control nailed down, which has always been his issue. Of his 11 ER in conference play, almost half of them (5) reached by walk. Take those away and he's sitting pretty at a 2.95 ERA (the 25th best ERA for a reliever with at least 15 appearances, FTR).

His .224 BA/against in SEC play was third best on the team.

Even with that, I feel like he's steadily improved in his time here, and of the ones that could "potentially" be leaving, I think we'll miss him the most.

I think that, should everyone in the incoming class make it to campus except Abrams/Austin, it will be a significant talent upgrade. It'll just be up to the coaching staff to get them ready to contribute by the time SEC play rolls around.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I have it on good authority that Will Freeman will not be on the team next year. That's all I can say about it and I do not know what his plans are going forward.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I thought he (Cameron) did alright last year. I don't know if he was hurt/sick/whatever, but I thought he took a major step back this year.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
So far we've gotten through 10 rounds of the draft and the only signed taken has been CJ Abrams at 6th overall. Of course, we haven't had any current players drafted either.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, it's a double-edged sword with the signees. You kind of have to hope that they weren't chosen because they had signability issues, and not because of a lack of talent.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Yeah, it's a double-edged sword with the signees. You kind of have to hope that they weren't chosen because they had signability issues, and not because of a lack of talent.
We need to sign a bunch of Emerson Hancock's. He played in the county next door to us in high school. He was low 90's there and blossomed at UGA. His dad made it known that if he wasn't going to be selected in the first round (maybe 2-3 rounds also, memory fails me atm) that he would go to UGA and not sign. He slide down to like the 17th round and didn't sign. Those are the guys that make the elite programs elite. It is all good to get Abrams commitment, but when he never plays a pitch for you....You still have to recruit them just in case. Hopefully this class can help us get back to winning 45 games or so!

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
We need to sign a bunch of Emerson Hancock's. He played in the county next door to us in high school. He was low 90's there and blossomed at UGA. His dad made it known that if he wasn't going to be selected in the first round (maybe 2-3 rounds also, memory fails me atm) that he would go to UGA and not sign. He slide down to like the 17th round and didn't sign. Those are the guys that make the elite programs elite. It is all good to get Abrams commitment, but when he never plays a pitch for you....You still have to recruit them just in case. Hopefully this class can help us get back to winning 45 games or so!
Slot value for the last pick of the 3rd round this year is $543,500. It's a lot easier to say no to a 6-figure deal like that to come to school when you know you've got most of the tuition paid for due to "extra" scholly money, but on the whole of it, I agree with what you're saying.

What UA has to do to convince the elite guys to come is convince them that they'll get better instruction and teaching at your school where it's not "produce or pink-slip." Convince them that you can take them from a 5th round pick to a 1st round pick, where slot values are 7-figures -- as in 2+ million dollars this year. And then you need to actually do that when they get to campus.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
It's a pretty good indicator of the talent or rather lack of talent, when we have not seen any Bama players juniors or seniors taken in the draft, but yet all our SEC rivals seem to have no problems with their players getting drafted.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
I know he technically already decided to transfer, but he's still part of the team in my mind until he gets to Zona.

Davis Vainer drafted 646th overall (21st round) by the Astros.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.