High-brow British politics

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It's probably going to be a minority government or a second election judging by the liberals anti coalition stance that is coming out. I think the tories are going to seek new leadership regardless of a coalition or reelection. I think May only survives in a majority or minority government after this embarrassment
May is probably done no matter what. She said she would resign if she lost 6 seats. Well they blew by that number. Even if she reneges on that, she'll likely be forced to resign. The Tories are probably sharpening their knives as we speak.

Just how momentous this screw up is really can't be put into words. She had a 20 point lead and called this election to strengthen their majority, and they end up losing it completely. Oops.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
May is probably done no matter what. She said she would resign if she lost 6 seats. Well they blew by that number. Even if she reneges on that, she'll likely be forced to resign. The Tories are probably sharpening their knives as we speak.

Just how momentous this screw up is really can't be put into words. She had a 20 point lead and called this election to strengthen their majority, and they end up losing it completely. Oops.
I think the Tories will probably go with a person that can appeal more to the SNP and lockdown NI. I think they really want to lockdown a coalition before one inevitably happens under a minority government. Idk who a reelection would favor, but I would assume Labour would want it more than the Tories. Liberal-democrats seem to not favor either party due to May and Corbyn being either unpopular or the divide on Brexit.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well it looks like May is seeking coalition since she was pretty close to a majority. A weak majority but it would be enough with the NI votes to ensure the Tories stay in power, but what the deal will be is going to be interesting

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You could swap out May for Lyin' Ryan or Mitch McTurdle (aka Dudley DooNothing), and all you would have is a hard time deciding which one wears a dress.

Then we have The Guardian, always the voice of sanity and reason, kvetching about the DUP forming a coalition.

"The DUP is the political wing of the 18th century, a bunch of homophobic bigots..................."

Funny, but you could say their buddies, the radical kook Islamofascist barbarians are "the wing of the 8th century, a bunch of homophobic bigots", and they would lose their mind.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Well it looks like May is seeking coalition since she was pretty close to a majority. A weak majority but it would be enough with the NI votes to ensure the Tories stay in power, but what the deal will be is going to be interesting
Desperate if you're forming a coalition with the DUP. They're pretty extremist. Like "no abortions for rape victims" and "line dancing is a sin."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Desperate if you're forming a coalition with the DUP. They're pretty extremist. Like "no abortions for rape victims" and "line dancing is a sin."
Its better than a minority government so I don't think they have a choice at this point but form a coalition. I don't think the Tories have a shot with the Liberal-democrats.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Its better than a minority government so I don't think they have a choice at this point but form a coalition. I don't think the Tories have a shot with the Liberal-democrats.
If the DUP gets any say in how the UK is governed, the majority of Brits will not be happy.

Not to mention the irony in her attacking Corbyn's links to the IRA then bringing a party with ties to terrorism into the fold.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the DUP gets any say in how the UK is governed, the majority of Brits will not be happy.

Not to mention the irony in her attacking Corbyn's links to the IRA then bringing a party with ties to terrorism into the fold.
It still beats having another election in 1 or 2 years. I think the Brexit debate really needs to be settled and done with or else it's going to continue to be a toxic issue.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It still beats having another election in 1 or 2 years. I think the Brexit debate really needs to be settled and done with or else it's going to continue to be a toxic issue.
It will remain a toxic issue. Her own party is divided between pro-EU and Anti-EU.

They're in a very weak position here. She will have an incredibly hard time keeping everyone happy. With this weakening of her majority. It now only takes two of her MPs disagreeing to with her to shoot down any proposals she makes, even with the DUP propping her up.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Vote of no confidence tomorrow. This will probably be the end of the May administration.
I wouldn’t be shocked if she survives.
I think the EU is making this as painful as possible so the next country that considers leaving the EU will think again.
Britain did this to themselves. The EU owes them nothing, and the idea that the EU should let them cherrypick is patently absurd. Out is out.

The goal isn’t to maliciously harm the UK, but to maintain the integrity of the single market. Without the single market, there is no EU.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Vote of no confidence tomorrow. This will probably be the end of the May administration.
I think the EU is making this as painful as possible so the next country that considers leaving the EU will think again.
You know, I think she'll survive, with minority support, because of the yawning canyon of chaos...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wouldn’t be shocked if she survives.

Britain did this to themselves. The EU owes them nothing, and the idea that the EU should let them cherrypick is patently absurd. Out is out.

The goal isn’t to maliciously harm the UK, but to maintain the integrity of the single market. Without the single market, there is no EU.
A crashout will be a lesson-teacher all right. The only other English-speakers in the little village in the French Alps where my daughter lives is a Brit and wife. His wife is Chinese and they somehow mysteriously make their living off the internet in an area where the ISP is excruciatingly slow. He fears becoming PNG and her residency depends on his. Gonna happen all over the EU...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.