2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Is there anyway to get around him? Is there any other path to allow a vote? Basically can someone block his block?
Basically, he has to become afraid enough of removal by enough Republican senators to let a bill through. By all accounts, he is a ruthless man and doesn't really give a damn about the greater good for the country...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A close friend posted this on her timeline:

I have a solution for the wall funding.
IRS adds a section to the 1040s, asking if filer wants taxpayer funding for a $5B wall.
If "yes" is checked, next line asks them how much filer is willing to have withheld from his pay the next year to fund the wall.
By my calculation, if each of the 3M who voted for Trump agree to having an extra $1666.00.withheld from taxes, the 5 billion would be raised. A vote to build it is a vote to pay.for it. No amount higher than $1666 will be accepted from any individual. Legal couple filing together are allowed to pay $3332 .
See how much is raised.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
i think if enough of the gop senators split with him, he might break, but i don't see that happening. he has no incentive to allow anything to happen.
It sad when putting hundreds of thousands of people back to work isn’t enough of an incentive.

Of course, I also believe that the government should never shutdown like this. Most of the general budget is always going to be there with minor changes and that should basically be and automatic pass each year. The extra stuff, like stupid walls or whatever, should never even be attached to the general budget. IMO.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Is there anyway to get around him? Is there any other path to allow a vote? Basically can someone block his block?
I understood from Lawrence O'Donnell last night who worked in the Senate for years that there is a Parliamentary Procedure whereby a procedural vote could be called and if there were enough votes the Bill in question could be called to the floor. I doubt that there are Republican Senators who would stand up to McConnell on this.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I understood from Lawrence O'Donnell last night who worked in the Senate for years that there is a Parliamentary Procedure whereby a procedural vote could be called and if there were enough votes the Bill in question could be called to the floor. I doubt that there are Republican Senators who would stand up to McConnell on this.
And I doubt there will be even if this stretches on for a few more weeks. He's protecting GOP Senators, who live in fear of being primaried by their fanatical base. The Senate is a portrait of putting party over country. One sect of the GOP wants the shutdown to end, and another sect will punish any Senator who breaks with Trump. So if McConnell allows a vote -- any vote -- GOP Senators will be alienating one of these two factions within their party. By his calculation, it's safer to do nothing, allowing Trump to dance in the spotlight and collect blame. And if the cost of that inaction is that a few hundred thousand federal workers can't get paid, airlines cease being safe modes of travel, and food begins to spread sickness en masse, then so be it.

But both sides and stuff, right?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And I doubt there will be even if this stretches on for a few more weeks. He's protecting GOP Senators, who live in fear of being primaried by their fanatical base. The Senate is a portrait of putting party over country. One sect of the GOP wants the shutdown to end, and another sect will punish any Senator who breaks with Trump. So if McConnell allows a vote -- any vote -- GOP Senators will be alienating one of these two factions within their party. By his calculation, it's safer to do nothing, allowing Trump to dance in the spotlight and collect blame. And if the cost of that inaction is that a few hundred thousand federal workers can't get paid, airlines cease being safe modes of travel, and food begins to spread sickness en masse, then so be it.

But both sides and stuff, right?
Yes, your reply totally ignores emails...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I've resisted this for a while, but today I relent. We are actually living through a rejected script for Veep. LINK

President Donald Trump drew a bizarre analogy during his trip to the border in McAllen, Texas, on Thursday, likening a border wall to the ancient invention of the wheel and noting that wheels are effective and still commonly used in modern times.

"They say a wall is medieval. Well, a wheel is older than a wall," Trump said, though the earliest known border wall is actually thousands of years older than the wheel. "And I looked, and every single car out there, even the really expensive ones that the Secret Service uses — and believe me they are expensive — I said, 'Do they all have wheels?' 'Yes.' 'Oh. I thought it was medieval.'"

He continued: "The wheel is older than the wall. You know that? There are some things that work. A wheel works and a wall works."
This man has the nuclear codes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.