Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Both stadiums are dumps. But, jordan-hare-dye stadium would be far safer... ;)
Last I heard a good portion of Legion field was closed as it is falling apart and is not safe. It really has fallen apart since Bama left it. They are not generating any money any more.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Both stadiums are dumps. But, jordan-hare-dye stadium would be far safer... ;)
Some people just need to let the past go. Why there are some people that still want the Alabama/auburn game back in that dump of a stadium, I will never understand. The stadium is unsafe on 2 different levels. Architecturally and structurally, the stadium is in dire need of major repairs and then compound that with the neighborhood it is in and you have a recipe for disaster. The game will never and should never go back to Legion Field. I honestly have no idea why anyone still uses the stadium at all.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Auburn AD: Gus Malzahn will return in 2019

Like I said - no way they drop $32million to get rid of Gus.
Not only that, they have to pony up a lot of money for the next coach. Make no mistake about it...the next coach (unless it is an up and coming rookie) is going tovdemand a similar buyout structure as Gus...given the barn's history with guick terminations.

Chiz got the heave-ho just 22 months after winning their first NC in 57 years.

The barn would have to pay off some assistants contracts AND have money for the new assistants. This, in addition to the current player payrolls is a LOT of money. Easily north of $60M...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Some people just need to let the past go. Why there are some people that still want the Alabama/auburn game back in that dump of a stadium, I will never understand. The stadium is unsafe on 2 different levels. Architecturally and structurally, the stadium is in dire need of major repairs and then compound that with the neighborhood it is in and you have a recipe for disaster. The game will never and should never go back to Legion Field. I honestly have no idea why anyone still uses the stadium at all.
Where would UAB play if not there?

Back on topic...it will be interesting to see what direction the Gus Bus goes after the season. My guess is that Chip Lindsey is asked to step out and check the tires and then the bus pulls off and leaves him. His buyout (if he has one) would be far less than the bus driver's... ;)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

IIRC - Legion Field is going away. No way Alabama and Auburn agree to play in a 55,000 seat stadium. The PTB in Birmingham knew when they designed this new stadium there was zero chance of ever getting the Alabama/Auburn game back. It ceased to be the Iron Bowl when it left Birmingham IMO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...ssf/2018/03/birmingham_commits_90_million.amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Last I heard a good portion of Legion field was closed as it is falling apart and is not safe. It really has fallen apart since Bama left it. They are not generating any money any more.
It was falling apart BEFORE we left. Half the bathrooms didn't even work. That doesn't even mention the fact it's in one of Birmingham's worst neighborhoods to boot.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It was falling apart BEFORE we left. Half the bathrooms didn't even work. That doesn't even mention the fact it's in one of Birmingham's worst neighborhoods to boot.
My uncle was on a team of architects and engineers that inspected Legion Field for possible repairs, demolishing, safety, etc. The team’s assessment was it would be cheaper to tear it down. The city decided they didn’t want to do that because of “history”. This was 15 years ago, if not more. I cannot imagine it has improved in any way.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Where would UAB play if not there?

Back on topic...it will be interesting to see what direction the Gus Bus goes after the season. My guess is that Chip Lindsey is asked to step out and check the tires and then the bus pulls off and leaves him. His buyout (if he has one) would be far less than the bus driver's... ;)
UAB could play at one of many nice High School stadiums, not like they could fill any of them anyway.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
My uncle was on a team of architects and engineers that inspected Legion Field for possible repairs, demolishing, safety, etc. The team’s assessment was it would be cheaper to tear it down. The city decided they didn’t want to do that because of “history”. This was 15 years ago, if not more. I cannot imagine it has improved in any way.
Why spend money blowing it up, it will fall all on its on soon enough. Not sure why anyone cares, BDS and even Jordan Hare are much nice facilities. Not to mention it is in the worst area of Birmingham. Time to move on folks.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Why spend money blowing it up, it will fall all on its on soon enough. Not sure why anyone cares, BDS and even Jordan Hare are much nice facilities. Not to mention it is in the worst area of Birmingham. Time to move on folks.
I would never want to see a return to Alabama playing in Legion Field, no matter the reason. But having said that, I hate that Legion Field has become such a shell of its former self. I agree with the idea that it is not a good financial move to sink money into it at this point, after too many years of neglect of maintenance and modernization. The location has also become an even greater issue than what it was 40 years ago, and believe me, it wasn't good then either.

For many years I was one of those who thought it should be saved, and in the location where it has always been. Common sense and practicality now tells me that is a fools errand. I would really like to see a New Legion Field built somewhere in the metro Birmingham area, and I have no recommendation exactly where. If it can be on or near the UAB campus, that would seem to make sense, but the location needs to be more about the fans and access, traffic, parking and personal safety than anything else. The stadium also needs to be something that will make it a desirable destination in terms of the Birmingham Bowl and other events that might be forthcoming. The big issue that follows is how is it paid for. Good question, and someone else will have to provide the answer, I haven't a clue. But, the current site where Legion Field sits could begin to provide some help, as that real estate should be worth something, and if it is developed correctly, it might have a much more positive impact on the neighborhood than Legion Field is having now. [2¢]

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.