I think Irv Smith maybe the best TE to play under Saban here.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just checked OJ's stats and compared to Irv's.

In 2016, OJ had 45 catches, 595 yards, and 3 TDs. That's three catches per game.

So far this year, Irv has 26 catches, 448 yards, and 6 TDs. He averages just under three catches per game.

The obvious difference is yards and TDs, which is why we have this impression he's doing more than OJ did in his respective offense.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I guess that this would be for us "older " members. Ozzie Newsome. Ozzie was a TE at Alabama if memory serves. Were he, OJ and now Irv cut from the same bolt of cloth? Ozzie`s remembered far more for being a great receiver than blocker, I believe.
This certainly doesn’t qualify as under Saban, but if memory serves, Ozzie Newsome played WR at Bama. He was converted to TE by the Browns.

I could easily be wrong about this but what I’m certain of is Newsome was a four year starter and played a couple of years after I graduated. Not all the games were on TV at the time and living in Memphis I couldn’t always catch the games on radio. So Newsome could have played TE at Bama.

Coach Bryant called Newsome the best end in the history of Alabama football. High praise indeed from a man who played end opposite Don Hutson.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He might just have the best statistical season of any tight end here. My understanding is that Ozzie was a SE not TE at Bama so his numbers really ought to be reflected on the WR record book.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm trying to find out how many times both OJ and Irv were targeted to see if there is a big discrepancy. However, I still say this discussion is like comparing apples and oranges because who's behind center and style offense matters, a lot. We're assuming a lot in trying to make this comparison. That the chemistry between OJ and Tua would have been the exact same as Tua and Irv. No one knows. Could have been better, could have been worse. One means more looks, the other means less looks. Who knows? But I guess it's fun to talk about it. I just don't see how any definite conclusion can be made. They both are very good TE's.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If OJ had Tua throwing him the ball, I think you would see this very differently. Way different types of offenses. Roll Tide
Wish we could see what an offense would look like with OJ and these four WRs. Four little fast guys and one big guy who can play inline, in the backfield, or flexed wide. Irv is a really good TE. OJ was a freak who we never really utilized to the degree we could've because our QB play in his 4 years was average.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
We have had some great TE's, we have had some great WR's, but the guys we have now and having Tua as the passer makes any comparison hard to do. Never have we had this much success passing to so many at one time. I like the comparisons but like all our players, I am just really enjoying watching them play. Every era had players, but right now betwen coaches, players and success this is the true GOLDEN era of Bama football. Never has so many had so much success at the same time. As Nissan commercials used to say " Enjoy the ride".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm trying to find out how many times both OJ and Irv were targeted to see if there is a big discrepancy. However, I still say this discussion is like comparing apples and oranges because who's behind center and style offense matters, a lot. We're assuming a lot in trying to make this comparison. That the chemistry between OJ and Tua would have been the exact same as Tua and Irv. No one knows. Could have been better, could have been worse. One means more looks, the other means less looks. Who knows? But I guess it's fun to talk about it. I just don't see how any definite conclusion can be made. They both are very good TE's.
Going off stats from CFB Filmroom:

OJ 2015 - 47
OJ 2016 - 56
Total - 103

Irv 2017 - 17
Irv 2018 (thru week 8) - 30
Total - 47

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This certainly doesn’t qualify as under Saban, but if memory serves, Ozzie Newsome played WR at Bama. He was converted to TE by the Browns.

I could easily be wrong about this but what I’m certain of is Newsome was a four year starter and played a couple of years after I graduated. Not all the games were on TV at the time and living in Memphis I couldn’t always catch the games on radio. So Newsome could have played TE at Bama.

Coach Bryant called Newsome the best end in the history of Alabama football. High praise indeed from a man who played end opposite Don Hutson.
You are not wrong. He played Split End at Alabama, meaning he was split wide every play and was basically a WR. Rick Neal was the TE of this era. Ozzie might line up at TE in some packages, but mostly he split wide. And the Browns converted him to TE in the NFL and the rest is history.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Yes, Ozzie was a WR in college...moved to TE in pros due to size and lack of speed.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I hate the comparison due to what happened off the field but Irv reminds me of Aaron Hernandez. He is the prototype current NFL TE.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I hate the comparison due to what happened off the field but Irv reminds me of Aaron Hernandez. He is the prototype current NFL TE.
Very happy with Irv's play, but I am very happy with how our TEs are employed now. Hasn't always been that way. Anybody remember Preston Gothard? Gothard was not as physical as Irv is, but he was a player. We have had some really good TEs in the past too. Go back and watch some old films from the Perkins days. But I love what Coach Locksley is doing for that position. And yeah..Hernandez was a hybrid TE sorta. Until Ro was assigned to keep him from turning up behind center on that quick pitch from Tebow. Eh eh!

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Irv is a better receiver than OJ. OJ was faster though. I'm not sure OJ would have made that catch Irv made against LSU.
OJ wasn’t used as much as he should have been but I still think he’s better than I’ve up to this point. But who’s to say Irv won’t be the best before he leaves Bama

Who want the smoke wit Bama?

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Yes, Ozzie was a WR in college...moved to TE in pros due to size and lack of speed.
Ozzie was loved at Bama from the get go. An unusual Freshman athlete. Also.......When Todd threw him the ball, He caught it. Oz played a big part in Bama breaking our bowl game losing streak in 1975 against Penn St. Todd had utmost confidence in Ozzie. As did Jeff Rutledge. Bama DID have a play where he lined up close (like a TE) and Ozzie would go into motion and take a pitch from the he QB and turned up behind the OL. Similar to what Hernandez did at Florida. CPB didn't use that play but maybe a couple of times as I can remember. May be someone here who can remember more than I.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
This thread is in relation to TEs who have played under Saban. Sorry about the babbling fellows. I have seen a LOT of huge and unforgettable Bama games. Would have to say that Irv is building an awesome rep for himself. Next level talent for sure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.