Be Honest-After Shula Was Fired/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

termite

1st Team
Dec 13, 2002
Albertville AL
I'll be honest. I was hoping to get Spurrier.I'm glad a million times over now that we didn't, but my initial choice after Coach Shula's firing was Spurrier.

I'll qualify my statement by saying, at that time, I didn't think we had a chance to get Coach Saban.
Mal surprised me with his ruthless pursuit in this case, and it completely changed his legacy in a big big big way.

Anybody else whose initial choice wasn't Coach Saban?

P.S> This is after Rich Rod was "hired" and changed his mind....

sip
Please!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I didn't take the Nick Saban talks seriously until about two weeks after RichRod's reneg. I figured we would have found a replacement choice much more quickly than we seemed to be going with the process. At that point, right around Christmas, I felt we were in a true holding pattern waiting for somebody to finish their season. I didn't really expect Saban but I knew we were waiting to make a move for somebody big (Bob Stoops, a NFL coach, etc). I think right after Christmas I started buying the Saban talk. The rumors that his family didn't like Miami and his growing tired of the NFL situation (fearful that if he stuck it out in Miami he'd be out of a job because the doctors denied him his franchise QB...Drew Brees).

I believe I was one of the people actually on the Chris Petersen bandwagon before their OU upset. I considered him an up-and-comer and likely an easy pull from a financially inferior mid-major. When RichRod was supposedly the guy, I was dreaming of Jimmy Johns at QB. Imagine that...our starting QB would have made it a season before getting busted for dealing drugs. But between Christmas and New Years, I really believed we had a shot at Saban. If it fell through, I imagine our backup plan might have been bringing Stallings in like Synder at Kansas State recently.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I had jumped on the Paul Johnson bandwagon and was OK with Rich Rod backing out...I too had hear the Saban rumors, but figured they were best case scenario type discussions...however, some times best-case-scenarios work out and do come to pass, and thankfully that was the case here. I must admit that I was sorta holding my breath until I saw the video feed of Coach Saban getting off the plane in Tuscaloosa.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Steve Spurrier, I just never took the Nick Saban talk that seriously.

I wanted Shula gone for quite a while, and while I was upset when Rich Rod said no, I was never that big on him, but I felt Spurrier was proven and would win at Alabama.
I had the same thougth. Right up until Saban was hired. Then I was glad that we did not hire Spurrier. But, I still feel that Spurrier would have been a really good choice if Saban had not come on board.

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City
I wanted Saban but Thought Coach Moore was crazy in his pursuit. After that I wanted Spurrier and Butch Davis. I was happy when we got Rodriguez for a day. Glad now of course we didn't end up with him. I did go to the A-Day game and have been to everyone since Coach Saban has been back except one because of family issues. How happy I am with where we are now and could have only dreamed it would be this good. Thanks Coach Saban and Staff and Administration and Players and Fans. Y'all are the best! Roll Tide!:BigA::BigA::BigA:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I'll be honest. I was hoping to get Spurrier.

I'm glad a million times over now that we didn't, but my initial choice after Coach Shula's firing was Spurrier.

I'll qualify my statement by saying, at that time, I didn't think we had a chance to get Coach Saban.
Mal surprised me with his ruthless pursuit in this case, and it completely changed his legacy in a big big big way.

Anybody else whose initial choice wasn't Coach Saban?

P.S> This is after Rich Rod was "hired" and changed his mind....

sip
Spurrier would have already been fired by now.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
To be honest, I never once thought CNS would leave the NFL for Bama. I thought it was a foolish attempt by Mal Moore to go to Miami and that it would in the end be his demise. So glad I was wrong. My choice was Bob Stoops. Count me wrong twice...

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Anybody not named Mike. :biggrin: Seriously, I would have been happy with either Grobe, Johnson or Patterson. I still think either of them would have won big at Alabama, but certainly not Coach Saban BIG.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Anybody not named Mike. :biggrin: Seriously, I would have been happy with either Grobe, Johnson or Patterson. I still think either of them would have won big at Alabama, but certainly not Coach Saban BIG.
The only coach who won Saban big was Bryant big!! We're extremely lucky as football fans.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
So far it really looks like most favored Johnson. I do indeed think he's an excellent coach but I wonder if he would have changed his offensive philosophy. I don't know if the Navy/Tech offense could have worked in the SEC.

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Re: Be Honest-/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

So far it really looks like most favored Johnson. I do indeed think he's an excellent coach but I wonder if he would have changed his offensive philosophy. I don't know if the Navy/Tech offense could have worked in the SEC.
Early on I had thought maybe Johnson, but look what's happened at Tech. Not only would the offense have eventually bombed but they have no defense! It just couldn't have worked at Bama in the long run if not also in the short.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Re: Be Honest-/Before Coach S Was Hired, Who Did You Want As Coach?

I was in the Paul Johnson camp. When I first saw this thread I figured I was gonna get ripped for that but it appears plenty of others had the same thoughts.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.