News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Things that make you go, "Hmmmm…"

. . . .

That's a lot of major life change in a short period of time. Hope everything's OK.
This ^^^

Phil was a GREAT color announcer, IMO. And I thought he did a great job for the Senior Bowl. I hope all is well in his life, and that he's following a passion, not clinging to a raft in stormy waters...

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Jay Barker will not be a good color commentator, IMHO. He has neither the personality nor the skill. By all accounts he is a great guy and I appreciate his play on the field back in the day.

I liked Savage, for the most part. Strange departure.

I'm leaning against GMac right now but it wouldn't completely surprise me if he was offered. I don't think he has the magic sauce for radio color guy.
Just FWIW, and not that my opinion means naught - I live in LA so I don't hear Jay that much, but I've never been that taken with Jay's radio "presence". However, I know he's been doing it for some time now.

Seems like I've heard JPW on the radio a few times and thought he did well. Certainly wouldn't mind if he got the job.

IMO GMac would be a GREAT color announcer for us!!, but seriously - I doubt he'd leave a very good gig at ESPiN for the job, and I sorta doubt ESPiN would be very keen on him missing every weekend to work on our game broadcasts.

And I'm not the first to say it, but as an old guy, I'd LOVE to have Joe Namath in the booth!!! I've heard him a few times when they've had him in the booth, and I thought his on-air demeanor was EXCELLENT, as was his ability to communicate the guts and essence of what was happening on the field. HONESTLY, I was SO hoping that Joe could have replaced Kenny - though I did think Phil did a great job.

Joe's not a kid anymore - gotta be in his mid-70s? - and this might be a physical challenge for a man his age. But "IF I WAS KING" - I'd be calling "Joe Willie" and begging him to do it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Heard someone on Twitter suggests Mr. Classy himself, Barrett Jones. Smart guy, knows the X's and O's, no doubt. And isn't he already working ESPN radio anyway?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Heard someone on Twitter suggests Mr. Classy himself, Barrett Jones. Smart guy, knows the X's and O's, no doubt. And isn't he already working ESPN radio anyway?
Great suggestion! My personal early favorite.

Note: GMac would probably be better. But as others have pointed out, no way he gives up airtime on ESPN for this job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Great suggestion! My personal early favorite.

Note: GMac would probably be better. But as others have pointed out, no way he gives up airtime on ESPN for this job.
I know alot of Bama fans don't like GMac, which I can't really figure out, except for the fact he maybe tries too hard not to be a Bama homer and it comes off he doesn't still love us.

But, IMO, GMac is on his way to be one of ESPN's top color analysts so I imagine there's more money, prestige and career there.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Tyler Watts was the color man with Chris Stewart on play-by-play, when the University would have pay-per-view games that were not broadcast on network. Watts also does a good job with analyzing and breaking down plays in the post game call-in show. I would love to see him get the promotion.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Barrett Jones would be great. Tyler Watts would be great.

But someone mentioned an AWESOME personality, another former center - Roger Shultz! That guy would be THE BOMB. He was on the radio in Mobile some years ago and he was ON FIRE! HIGHLY Entertaining and Very knowledgeable.
He'd be awesome in the booth for UA football. :)

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Roger would be Kenny 2.0, and being honest, would probably be more entertaining even than Mr. Stabler. The question is if that's what CTSN listeners want? I am not really sure it is.

rtr

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It won't happen because he's an Aub, but I wouldn't mind Cole Cubelic getting the job; his analysis is always first rate.
I 2nd this. I'm a big fan of Cole and I'm pretty sure I've seen people call him a Bama fan despite the fact that he played at Auburn

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I know alot of Bama fans don't like GMac, which I can't really figure out, except for the fact he maybe tries too hard not to be a Bama homer and it comes off he doesn't still love us.

But, IMO, GMac is on his way to be one of ESPN's top color analysts so I imagine there's more money, prestige and career there.
They had GMac on local Bham radio today and he said while flattered he won't be taking the job. He is doing a lot of great things with ESPN and ABC on TV and he is concentrating on this. He did say you never say never and one day.......

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Mine in order would be Barrett Jones, Tyler Watts, Mike Johnson. Savage was very knowledgeable and will be missed. I think Barrett brings some very good knowledge also.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Things that make you go, "Hmmmm…"

Leaves the Senior Bowl in his hometown after several years in the chair, in a "mutual parting of the ways."

Leaves one of the best color announcing jobs in the country, and in the process leaves Saban, who he's known since he was an analyst for the Browns while Saban was there.

Packs up to move to Phoenix for a minor league job.

That's a lot of major life change in a short period of time. Hope everything's OK.
Maybe health...?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I just can't see having a former Auburn player on the Bama radio broadcast. He might be good at what he does, he might be objective, but at the end of the day, he's still a Barner and I think it could show up in the ratings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.