Link: In Da Film Room: I’ve Seen This Before (LSU Perspective)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Pretty much -

1. Steve Ensminger isn't a great OC.

2. They are now admitting Joe Burrow is mediocre.

3. Their OL is trash.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As "average" as Bama's qb's have been labeled (pre-Tua of course) they have still been a lot better than what LSU has had. Until they can get true quarterback talent they really don't have much choice as to what offense they run. However, as I say that I also think they haven't had the coaching personnel to actually develop talent either. Then you add on top of that their past two coaches have been highly conservative on offense. Bad combination for wanting a good offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As "average" as Bama's qb's have been labeled (pre-Tua of course) they have still been a lot better than what LSU has had. Until they can get true quarterback talent they really don't have much choice as to what offense they run. However, as I say that I also think they haven't had the coaching personnel to actually develop talent either. Then you add on top of that their past two coaches have been highly conservative on offense. Bad combination for wanting a good offense.
This is where CNS continues to amaze people. He's done just what CPB was willing to do. Totally change or adjust his scheme.

Remember in 2009 when we had to beat South Carolina by running Mark Ingram out of the wildcate for a large portion of the game??? Who could have ever imagined we'd have an offense this dynamic now???

Of course, CNS has also made a big change in how he recruited defensive players too. Just amazing!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mettenberger was a true QB, but they still couldn’t beat us either time.

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
Then I would posit that it isn't the lack of QB talent, it's a lack of QB COACHING talent. And I think that's been LSU's problem since about 2006.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It doesn't guarantee a win. But it sure does give your team more options on offense. But as I mentioned, talent at QB alone isn't the be all end all either for LSU. Player development and a coaching staff competent enough to put together a game plan that takes advantage of all the QB's strengths plays a role to. With Les this wasn't the case. Les was at constant conflict with people trying to get him to "upgrade" his offensive philosophy to a more quarterback friendly offense. He was as stubborn as a mule in not doing it. Even when he had a quarterback that had the tools. They ran a very basic, conservative offense. No imagination.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
This is where CNS continues to amaze people. He's done just what CPB was willing to do. Totally change or adjust his scheme.

Remember in 2009 when we had to beat South Carolina by running Mark Ingram out of the wildcate for a large portion of the game??? Who could have ever imagined we'd have an offense this dynamic now???

Of course, CNS has also made a big change in how he recruited defensive players too. Just amazing!
I was listening to the interview with Gary Danielson on Paul Finebaum and Gary said to similar effect. He said that what was amazing about Saban is that he does differently what most successful coaches do. Most coaches will stick with what brings them success or try to make who they recruit fit "their" mold. Saban OTOH will change and retool constantly to try to reach another level.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Link

Pretty much -

1. Steve Ensminger isn't a great OC.

2. They are now admitting Joe Burrow is mediocre.

3. Their OL is trash.
Amazing how most teams self assessment of themselves changes dramatically after playing Bama. We make every little pimple and flaw very visible.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It doesn't guarantee a win. But it sure does give your team more options on offense. But as I mentioned, talent at QB alone isn't the be all end all either for LSU. Player development and a coaching staff competent enough to put together a game plan that takes advantage of all the QB's strengths plays a role to. With Les this wasn't the case. Les was at constant conflict with people trying to get him to "upgrade" his offensive philosophy to a more quarterback friendly offense. He was as stubborn as a mule in not doing it. Even when he had a quarterback that had the tools. They ran a very basic, conservative offense. No imagination.
Cam Cameron and Ensmerger are as predictable as Mac and Nuss. They look like geniuses when playing lesser talented or less physical defenses and offenses, but put them in a shootout or big man game and they get exposed. I believe Oeaux needs an OC that is more forward thinking and a QB that isn’t a statue in the pocket.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
IMO, I don't think coaching mattered in this game. LSU is weak compared to Bama in the trenches. We could have traded coaches and Bama still would have won the game.

Bama ran the ball and threw the ball at will. LSU couldn't run the ball at all and Burrow got sacked 5 times without a lot of blitzing going on. You can't scheme winning football against that big a talent gap.

I'm really surprised LSU has done as well as they have so far. Surely Georgia is a better team and just did not properly prepare.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.