Scout Team
Oct 20, 1999
Orange Park Fla USA
!. Jim Grobe
2. Steve Spurrier
3 Paul Johnson
4, Bob Stoops
I am betting on Steve Spurrier..

Mike Shula will be good for another team. I think he will be a good coach some day. For now he has to settle for the Bill Curry Bama did me dirty award...

TheCrimsonLiver

All-SEC
Aug 21, 2006
Pell City
Re: My Pick for New Coach

I hope whoever it is will have a system that will use our receivers, JPW. Thats our strength. I hope it's not one that will be using a Chris leak running the option kind of thing. That would be bad.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: My Pick for New Coach

!. Jim Grobe
2. Steve Spurrier
3 Paul Johnson
4, Bob Stoops
I am betting on Steve Spurrier..

Mike Shula will be good for another team. I think he will be a good coach some day. For now he has to settle for the Bill Curry Bama did me dirty award...
Although I like Jim Grobe, IMO his record at Wake Forest is just so-so. Granted he doesn't have the talent to work with and has had a very good season, but overall he hasn't been that successful. Spurrier and Stoops are not coming to Alabama. My preference of this group would be Paul Johnson.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Re: A name you should seriously consider

Response to wishbonesooner: He is a goodie. If a man can win at Tulsa he ought to be able to win anywhere. Though, to use a baseball analogy, he would be a bases clearing double when we're looking for a grand slam. But if the time comes, a double will start looking pretty good.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: A name you should seriously consider

Steve Kragthorpe U of Tulsa head coach. Somebody is going to get this guy, he is a winner. JMO
I agree, he will or already is a very good coach, saw Miami may have some interest in him. Also Chris Petersen at Boise State is another up and coming young coach. These kind of coaches offer a lot for a relatively little $.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
A name I have not heard...

I have heard the usual names and on that list is Bob Stoops. I think he is unlikely to come - but what about his little brother, Mike? He is doing a great job at Arizona, full of energy, good discipline, and I would guess he would jump at the chance to get into the SEC. What do y'all think?

jeffs4thetide

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
Trussville, AL
Re: New Coach Speculation (merged; keep thoughts on the topic here!!!

Herb Winches is in Tuscaloosa, he just reported a press conference scheduled for 2pm today. The name he is hearing is Spurrier, he says his offer is 3 million a year and a 10 year contract.

FAN4EVR

1st Team
Nov 22, 2006
Calera, Al

Herb Winches with wjox is reporting there is word that Sexton was contacted and he has possibly recomended SS. Is there any truth to this? Has this been verified anywhere else? Because I know Herb Winches is usually quick to jump the gun.

talisitider

All-SEC
Jan 24, 2003
Tallassee, AL
Re: A name I have not heard...

I guess I have not been reading either tidehawk, I've not really seen his name bantered around like the others either. With that said, he might be another one of the settle for types and we might be at that point now. The attempt to get one of the ringers seems to have been to no avail.

The SEC is a rough place for head coches to say the least, you're going up against the best of the best IMO. I just don't have a strong feeling about any of the socalled others right now.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

Herb Winches just said on WJOX that he is seeing Jimmy Sexton's name all over this. Said he's hearing Spurrier's name more and more. Possibly a 10 year 3mill/year deal. Press conference at 2 or 2:30 Central Time.

BamaBoy06

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2006
North Alabama

I like Spurrier and would love to see him at Bama but a 10 year deal...Is Spurrier not 61 years old ?

Crimson Bourne

1st Team
Jun 23, 2005
Blue Ridge, GA

Is it not customary that before a school goes after another coach they have to request permission to talk to the coach? If so, has anyone heard that we asked South Carolina permission to talk to Coach Spurrior?

rylandtide

1st Team
Nov 28, 2000
Ryland, Alabama

I like Spurrier and would love to see him at Bama but a 10 year deal...Is Spurrier not 61 years old ?
Yes, he is 61.

The interesting thing here is that Shula was fired last night quickly leaving room for a new coach to be announced this afternoon. I believe the new coach has already been selected. We'll see shortly.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN

FIREING MIKE SHULA WAS STUPID. DAVE RADER IS THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO BE FIRED:mad: :mad: :mad:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'll let you guys choose how I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong, but I don't see any visor in our immediate coaching future.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.