How elite would our WR corps be...If Keenan Allen had come to UA (watch teaser)

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
If Keenan Allen of Cal signed his LOI with us? He's leaving now for the nfl but boy it would have been fun to see him on Alabama. So close...bet he regrets it now...Not worth getting your half bother to Cal

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It put us in a minor bind in 2011 at WR when several guys weren't ready for major contribution and smallish Maze and Hanks led the group. McElwain put in his best coaching job that season: first year starter and no difference maker at WR...still had balance.

Proves that this program is not going to be made or broken by one guy doesn't it?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He's the #1 WR on the draft board, no way he'd have ended up at DB.
He was recruited by CNS to play Safety. With that said, Eddie Williams was originally recruited to play Safety but started camp at WR. He moved back to Safety once Jarrick Williams got injured and Travell Dixon transferred.

Really, we don't know if Keenan would have helped the defense or the offense. He would have helped Bama, for sure, though.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Allen was recruited here to be safety, but it's difficult to assess exactly where he would end up. The SEC tends to take their best athletes and put them on defense, as opposed to a conference like the Pac-12 who does just the opposite.

Prime example is the Anthony Barr kid for UCLA. They've had this kid stuck at RB his first 2 years there and it was like forcing a square peg in a round hole. He just wasn't supposed to be there.

They finally decided to move him to the defensive side of the ball this year and play some stand-up linebacker just out of desperation.... all he's done is rack up 20 TFL's and 13 sacks, and according to the draft experts, would be a potential top 15 pick if he declares early.

This is a 6'4", 235 pound kid who most coaches in the SEC would've had this kid playing linebacker from the moment he stepped on campus.

I'm not positive, but wasn't Keiwone Malone going to be a CB here? He's playing WR at Memphis.

Keenan may very well have ended up at WR for Bama, but I believe it would've been after a long look on the defensive side first.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Really, we don't know if Keenan would have helped the defense or the offense. He would have helped Bama, for sure, though.
Don't know about this one... the way he acted during his recruitment very well could have caused issues within the team once he got here. No matter how good he's turned out at Cal, I'm glad we didn't jump through hoops to get him... that's the kind of thing that can do permanent damage to a squad.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't know about this one... the way he acted during his recruitment very well could have caused issues within the team once he got here. No matter how good he's turned out at Cal, I'm glad we didn't jump through hoops to get him... that's the kind of thing that can do permanent damage to a squad.
Are there things that were not made public? Excluding the recruiting circus that Otis turned Keenan's recruitment into.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Allen was very similar to Robert Nkemdiche this recruiting cycle. Both got a golden parachute for their buddies and siblings from a school or two.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I'm not positive, but wasn't Keiwone Malone going to be a CB here? He's playing WR at Memphis.

Keenan may very well have ended up at WR for Bama, but I believe it would've been after a long look on the defensive side first.
Not accurate on Malone... he was solely a WR in his time with us. When recruiting an impact player with great speed, Saban always wants them to have a shot on the offensive side of the ball first. He said that about E. Williams and demonstrated it with guys like Cyrus Jones/Brandon Slyve. As defensive-minded as he is, he recognizes the need for guys on the offensive side of the ball who can make explosive plays... he can't take all of them to the defensive side and win games.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm sure there is a player that will prove me wrong at some point, but I don't think there is a player in America worth 2+ scholarships to Alabama. Every elite talent who has tried to play that game with us has ended up signing elsewhere.

A lot of people thought Lester was a signing in that vein but he ended up being a 3-year starter for us out of Julio's Foley team.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I'm sure there is a player that will prove me wrong at some point, but I don't think there is a player in America worth 2+ scholarships to Alabama. Every elite talent who has tried to play that game with us has ended up signing elsewhere.

A lot of people thought Lester was a signing in that vein but he ended up being a 3-year starter for us out of Julio's Foley team.
Caveat to this statement... a player IS worth signing 2+ schollies with us IF the other guy is capable of getting on the field in a prominent role with us. Good example is the Kouandjio brothers... if Saban had to promise Cyrus he'd take Arie in order to be in the game for Cyrus, I wouldn't mind that because Arie is talented enough to earn a significant role on the team. Not suggesting that's what happened with these two... just using them as an example of where I'd be ok with that kind of scenario.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
See RGW's post down. Demands were made for UA to accept other lesser players in order to sign him.
Outside of that, though? My post was based on his athletic ability. Obviously, his recruitment changed thoughts on how he would affect the team.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
there are a few Cal fans, including one who claims to be a parent of a current player on the team, that are claiming that it was Allen that caused Jeff Tedford to be fired. Players parent claims Allen refused to work out, made it known in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't play with any QB other than Maynard and generally just did whatever he wanted. Saban would have run him off in less than a year, talented or not. Tedford caved and brought in Maynard too. Perhaps he thought he could make Maynard into a decent QB, he couldn't and he's now gone.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

The older Nkemdiche (SP?) looks like he may have been worth it. Kid is good

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.