What was with Grant Delpit deliberately trying to take Tua’s knee out?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I remember that UGA fan that called into Finebaum and said that LSU should go after Tua’s knee and I didn’t think that they would do that but not only did Delpit go after Tua’s knee on the low blow play but he aimed at his knee when Tua was trying to go outta bounds. That’s just dirty play imo.

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Darriel Youngblood is the name of the UGA fan who calls into Finebaum. He's a true low life scum bag.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There were two things that could have prevented that hit. First, the referee standing behind Tua should have been running in, blowing his whistle and waving his hands. Didn't seem like he made much of an effort to signal the false start like he should have in a loud environment. Second, Tua should be taught that if he hears a whistle for a false start to just spike the ball. QBs do this in the NFL all the time to completely avoid taking a hit from a defender who "didn't hear the whistle." If the QB simply spikes the ball then there wouldn't be a hit or if there is a hit it's grounds for a penalty.

I have no idea if Delpit and the other LSU defender heard the whistle or if it was a cheap shot but either of the solutions outlined above could have mitigated taking the hit..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There were two things that could have prevented that hit. First, the referee standing behind Tua should have been running in, blowing his whistle and waving his hands. Didn't seem like he made much of an effort to signal the false start like he should have in a loud environment. Second, Tua should be taught that if he hears a whistle for a false start to just spike the ball. QBs do this in the NFL all the time to completely avoid taking a hit from a defender who "didn't hear the whistle." If the QB simply spikes the ball then there wouldn't be a hit or if there is a hit it's grounds for a penalty.

I have no idea if Delpit and the other LSU defender heard the whistle or if it was a cheap shot but either of the solutions outlined above could have mitigated taking the hit..
It is possible that nobody heard the whistle...

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Darriel Youngblood is the name of the UGA fan who calls into Finebaum. He's a true low life scum bag.
He is truly an idiotic uga homer that has always been ate up with jealousy of Bama. He wasn’t the only one calling in the week leading up to the game saying L8U should go after Tua’s knee. Several L8U fans that were crying over the DW targeting call, were saying “well, if they can’t tackle high without being ejected for targeting, then they should hit him low and take out his knee”.

While I know callers on Finebaum’s show are usually crazy nut jobs, it was exceptionally bad leading up to the game. I listen occasionally purely for entertainment purposes to get a good laugh, and the occasional good guest interview, but it still amazes me how serious some of those callers are and how wrapped up they are with calling in to that show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

I'll go with cheap shot. He took a 4 step run at Tua going after the knee.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I have been recovering from surgery and housebound soout of Boredom...been keeping up with Finebaum. Since that time.....I have not seen or heard that that guy has been back on air. He got spanked for that. I THINK that they are not accepting him to get connected. Jmo. Finebaum will clear anybody for a rating bump. James Carville for instance. Rest my case your Honor.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Yeah it definitely was a questionable hit. Just seems weird for Delpit to launch his body so low on the tackle. Could be wrong though

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I'll go with cheap shot. He took a 4 step run at Tua going after the knee.
SEC IS strangely quiet with all that don't you agree? I think a few of Mizzou's players should be called out. I think the same of LSU. I want to know why no flags thrown there. No dead ball foul or roughing the passer or anything. Why? We heard 100% more whining about Dylan Moses' push right on the sideline which COULD have been called, but GD called the foul...and then the disgust that it wasn't. Don't recall him worrying about Tua getting hammered by 2 Lsu players after the whistle. Whatever happened to the "Hey Ref...We can't hear our signals" rule?? The refs used to caution the fans. Same as the cowbell joke that we see in Starkville.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This wasn't too good either:eek
Coming in low like that on a QB was a deliberate shot, IMO. If you`re just going for the sack, the vast majority of the time you`ll be up high where you have a shot at stripping the ball. An exception to coming in high would be if the QB was running away and the defender was diving after him to trip him.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It was 1000% deliberate and dirty.

I'm not wishing ill on Delpit but Karma(or whatever you want to call it) usually gets around to players like him.

Honestly I credit our entire team for not letting things get overly 'chippy' to the point of multiple PF's being dished out after seeing the Tua hit and Ruggs III getting targeted in the endzone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.