Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice, letting him stay at QB?

Kpro

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2018
I am a strong believer that after the National Championship and because of Tua’s extraordinary performance the G.O.A.T will be doing Jalen a disservice by intriguing Jalen that there will be a Spring QB competition.

I love Jalen to death but after the game it’s clear that Tua caters to Daboll’s playbook better and he will be the starter going into next season.

I feel that Saban would be doing Jalen a disservice by telling him there will be a competition and he has a chance (I’m sure his mind is already set with what Tua potentially could do next year as the starter).

It’s no secret, coaches often see the potential and ceiling of a player better than the player themself more often then not.

IMO if Saban is all about trust, he should let Jalen know that if wants a shot at the NFL it won’t be at the QB position (it’s clear after this season that Jalen hasn’t improved significantly in the passing game... let’s be honest and take the emotion out of it). Honestly, It would be greedy if he just drags and leads Jalen on... in the scenario that something were to happen to Tua (injury, etc.).

I do not believe in a dual QB system (nor do I think Saban does)

Do you agree? Once again, I am just trying to separate the emotion (how great of a guy Jalen is) and seeing how it really is...

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Re: Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice?

It's tricky, Hurts could probably play RB at the college level, but since Bama is pretty much RB U at this point, we don't need him at that spot.
And he's kind of a tweener when you think of WR/TE, maybe not big enough for TE, or quick and shifty enough for WR.

Not sure what the answer is, but he'll never play QB in the NFL unless he makes some big strides in the passing department.
Probably a situation where Hurts and his family need to figure out what they want for the future.
He could stay here and simply compete and try to keep developing for another year, him and Tua seem to have a good friendship.

Kpro

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2018

It's tricky, Hurts could probably play RB at the college level, but since Bama is pretty much RB U at this point, we don't need him at that spot.
And he's kind of a tweener when you think of WR/TE, maybe not big enough for TE, or quick and shifty enough for WR.

Not sure what the answer is, but he'll never play QB in the NFL unless he makes some big strides in the passing department.
Probably a situation where Hurts and his family need to figure out what they want for the future.
He could stay here and simply compete and try to keep developing for another year, him and Tua seem to have a good friendship.
Great response, I have been thinking about this for a while.... and you’re right, no better place to develop than at Alabama.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

The whole world knows how to beat a team with Jalen at QB and that is make him pass. If Jalen were to transfer he would face the same problem. If he goes to FIU or Arkansas then he will face stacked lines just like he does here.

That being the case, I think it better if he stays here and has wildcat packages and that kind of thing. We don't need to forget it is not as if Jalen cannot pass. My own feeling is Bama would be really dangerous if Jalen played H Back and TE and such. He can run and pass and catch.

Also there is this: We are assuming Jalen has no chance but Jalen had one interception all year (I think). Tua had one in one half. We know Jalen can play ball control O and I'm not sure Tua can because his instinct is to throw. So ball control may play a factor.

Last edited:

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

The whole world knows how to beat a team with Jalen at QB and that is make him pass. If Jalen were to transfer he would face the same problem. If he goes to FIU or Arkansas then he will face stacked lines just like he does here.

That being the case, I think it better if he stays here and has wildcat packages and that kind of thing. We don't need to forget it is not as if Jalen cannot pass. My own feeling is Bama would be really dangerous if Jalen played H Back and TE and such. He can run and pass and catch.

Also there is this: We are assuming Jalen has no chance but Jalen had one interception all year (I think). Tua had one in one half. We know Jalen can play ball control O and I'm not sure Tua can because his instinct is to throw. So ball control may play a factor.
I still think your last point has merit. Tua looks to be a gunslinger. If he can be an efficient one rather than an inefficient one.... That will be great. I think that will have to be the case. But Jalen. Is protective of the ball and perhaps Saban pushed and praised him too much in that direction. Jalen is a great athlete, excellent game manager, leader, and has the team. He knows he MUST evolve as a passer, if he can come into camp and let it loose as he has the arm talent.... then who knows what coach does. It's something special to know your quarterback won't turn it over, yet is dynamic enough offensively to be one of the biggest threats in the nation and SEC offensive player of the year.

There are games where you need more from the passing game, for sure. But there are also games where at or 3 interception game will lose it for you. I think that threat is bigger for the make up of our team. I'm not saying that's who Tua is, because we don't truly know who Tua is.

We do know that Jalen will get you to play for the national title for 2 seasons. Is it that big of a deal to see improvement as a passer from Jalen? I don't think so, if they push him more to be that type of qb. But I admit that it would need to be quite a leap in reading coverage. But we've seen this before from QBs. I don't think Daboll has the best style for Jalen in particular, and learning a new playbook may have leveled the playing field for Tua as well.

I look forward to the competition and setting where the coaches truly see themselves going. Coach definitely has his type.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I agree. For instance, I watched the championship game again last night. I wonder what would have happened if UGA had driven the ball for FG or TD after Tua threw the really bad interception. They would have been up 23 or 27 to 7 at that point. Would Saban have put Jalen back in, or would he have known that Tua still offered the best chance to win. Our defense made a great play and got the ball right back for us, so it pretty much erased that mistake, and we marched on. I still think Saban will play who he thinks gives us the best chance to win. With Tua's skills, it is hard to imagine that it won't be him, but I imagine that Jalen feels like he can improve and give Tua a run for his money, no pun intended. At Bama, he will receive great coaching and compete for championships. At another school, who knows? I hope they are both still wearing crimson next year because both of those guys are winners.

Last edited:

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

I wouldn't just write Jalen off and I don't think he'll give up without a fight. He'll go into spring knowing he has to prove he can be a more complete QB. Frankly, Tua has to prove the same thing. Jalen has led the team to the CFP championship game two straight years. That's no small feat.

Hopefully the coaching staff is open/honest with both players and if they both stay they stay for the right reasons.

I have no idea if Jalen could actually play any other position.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice?

In the McCarron interview thread he mentioned Tua’s anticipation and ability to know where to throw the ball without seeing the man open. In other words, throw the receiver open. AJ had it, Sims & Coker both developed it, Jalen still has not. After 27 games, not sure if he will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

CNS is not doing anybody a disservice. While I agree it now looks like Tua may be the QB, 7 1/2 months is plenty of time for anything to happen. You can bet that CNS's mind is not yet made up.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa

In retrospect AJ had a couple years to take the helm. Sims and Coker were both 5th years seniors I believe. Jalen has time to develop but Tau has more instincts at this moment in time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

A few thoughts:

I think that Saban will be honest with Jalen.
I think that Saban believes that Jalen will continue to improve.
I think that Saban will tell Jalen that improvement will be necessary to win the starting QB job next year.
I think that Jalen will embrace the challenge.

Is it a disservice to give Jalen that opportunity and to continue to believe in him? Not in my opinion.

As for other positions - he really isn't a RB since he lacks quickness. He can outrun players, but he really doesn't make them miss. I have no idea if he can catch well enough to try HB or TE. With his size, speed (4.5 40) and athleticism he could probably play many defensive positions but I have no idea if he has any interest there.

I have no idea what is going to happen with Jalen, but I believe that Saban will try to help him achieve his goals, whatever they may be.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

In the McCarron interview thread he mentioned Tua’s anticipation and ability to know where to throw the ball without seeing the man open. In other words, throw the receiver open. AJ had it, Sims & Coker both developed it, Jalen still has not. After 27 games, not sure if he will.

The anticipation Tua has is amazing. Above and beyond that though watching the game again Thursday night, Jalen wasn't even pulling the trigger when guys were WIDE open, especially on seam routes and RB into the flat. Even Herbstreit pointed out that Jalen takes off way to fast with even the slightest flash of pressure, even though he's still really got plenty of time. Sometimes he turns it into a positive play to we all thinks it's great, but the WRs, TEs and RBs all start to quit on routes and plays b/c they know Jalen is just going to take off most of the time. Now, he might be able to fix this, but as others have said, he's had two years of starting experience (more than Sims and Coker ever got) to develop it and it's not there yet.

It's tough b/c I don't know what position he'd be able to play. RB maybe? Not really big enough for HB or TE. He has speed for WR, so maybe there if he can get footwork and routes down. Strong Safety might be his best bet if he's got enough fluidity in his hips.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Assuming that Tua does win the competition (and I do believe there will be one), I think the best thing for Jalen to do is to stay here and redshirt either this year or next year because Tua is not long Tuscaloosa if he builds a body of work that I think he will with two years of starts. Hurts starts for his redshirt senior year and maybe has a Blake Sims-like end to his career. The best thing for a quarterback in terms of going pro is to have visibility and talent around you to execute offense. He may not get that anywhere else. And most of the places that want him will try to run a RichRod type offense.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Will Saban be doing Hurts a disservice?

I love both Jalen and Tua. I feel they both are quality people. I don’t want to lose either one of them. Both have amazing talents. If they can work in tandem I think that will bring the best results. Jalen can improve his pass progression in the off season and Tua can learn to be smart with the football. I can see both having a major role in every game.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

The anticipation Tua has is amazing. Above and beyond that though watching the game again Thursday night, Jalen wasn't even pulling the trigger when guys were WIDE open, especially on seam routes and RB into the flat. Even Herbstreit pointed out that Jalen takes off way to fast with even the slightest flash of pressure, even though he's still really got plenty of time. Sometimes he turns it into a positive play to we all thinks it's great, but the WRs, TEs and RBs all start to quit on routes and plays b/c they know Jalen is just going to take off most of the time. Now, he might be able to fix this, but as others have said, he's had two years of starting experience (more than Sims and Coker ever got) to develop it and it's not there yet.

It's tough b/c I don't know what position he'd be able to play. RB maybe? Not really big enough for HB or TE. He has speed for WR, so maybe there if he can get footwork and routes down. Strong Safety might be his best bet if he's got enough fluidity in his hips.
It looks to me that Jalen has the foot speed to play positions that require it. I don`t pretend to know the other characteristics that CNS would look for in a DB in general and a strong safety in particular. Obviously, being able to pivot and change directions (hips) would be important. Jalen`s bright and a great athlete. Does he have the temperament to play strong safety and come up and " lay the wood " ? Don`t know.

Last edited by a moderator:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I truly believe that QB is the best position for Jalen Hurts in college especially here where he wouldn't be a top contributor at receiver or tailback. Why move a guy who is no worse your second best quarterback to be the 4th or 5th best back or receiver? The NFL can figure out what they can do with him when he gets there. My reckon is that he becomes a punt returner and depth WR in the pros.

The goal should be on selling him on a competition in 2018. If he loses out then selling him on redshirting in 2019 because Tua will likely be heading to the pros after that season.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

I don't see a situation where both Jalen and Tua will have a major role in a every game unless Jalen changes positions.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You also have to remember that injury is a possibility every day in this sport. As long as he is no deeper than #2 on the depth chart, he is one play away from the starting job again. And Saban trusts him. That means that he will be a viable option in every game, under almost any circumstance.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

The problem for Jalen has been that it’s hard to develop when you’re trying to win games because you can’t take the risks that you need to take to learn and grow.

If he really wants to play QB then he’s probably best served dropping to the FCS level where he could terrorize opponents...but that’s not a likely path to the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.