Today's Question: What do you think of reality television?

I

It's On A Slab

It sells. It's what Americans want to see. The Situation, Snooki, the Kardashian ladies, the Palin mob, they've all done pretty well financially whilst not having much more accomplished in life than eat, sleep, pee and walk the Earth.

RVTIDER

Hall of Fame
Oct 29, 2004
Tuscaloosa, Al.
Hate the "famous person" reality shows. The competition ones still keep my interest from time to time. This year survivor is pretty good, men vs women. Plus the women wear little of nothing and seem pretty nasty. Potential.

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Enjoy the musical shows (love music), and The Biggest Loser (though I hate the drama). Don't watch any others, so I have no opinion.

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Quick question - Are sports not "reality TV"?

Okay, just looked it up ans sports are not considered to be reality TV, but things like game shows (Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, etc), voyeuristic shows (Big Brother, Kardashians, etc), and anything with hidden cameras (Candid Camera, Punk'd, etc) qualify.

I do watch America's Funniest Home Videos with my kids. Turns out that this qualifies. I also used to love Candid Camera. So maybe I am not as averse to the genre as I thought. The ones that I hate are the voyeuristic type.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not sure this is a "reality" show, but I watch America's Got Talent - lots of bizarre stuff, but also a wide variety of talent, not just singing. And some pretty spectacular talent, as well.
It is funny watching some people make fools of themselves for their own little 30 seconds of complete embarrassment...
As far as Big Brother, and all of the rest (including Survivor)....nope.

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

cannot stand them and their popularity proves how stupid people are.
We got rid of cable TV a couple of years ago, and never watch broadcast TV unless it's sports (college fb/pro fb/college basketball....but only if it's Creighton or the NCAA tourney).

The longer I go without TV, the more I come to understand why my parents called it the "idiot box".

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It has very little to do with reality, but as it's been said... the genre sells.
Agreed, It is unreal. But it sells. I rarely ever watch it. I like deadliest catch, ice road truckers and those types of reality shows, but not Idol, loser, Race, Survivor or any of those. Survivor was a joke, a real survivor show would be to drop 6-7 people on a remote island with minimal tools , and come back in a month, of course, you would have to put cameras everywhere to monitor the reality.

My favorite reality show involves a ball and a field. sometimes a stick, sometimes indoors on a hardwood floor. Sports is the original reality show.

Agreed, It is unreal. But it sells. I rarely ever watch it. I like deadliest catch, ice road truckers and those types of reality shows, but not Idol, loser, Race, Survivor or any of those. Survivor was a joke, a real survivor show would be to drop 6-7 people on a remote island with minimal tools , and come back in a month, of course, you would have to put cameras everywhere to monitor the reality.

My favorite reality show involves a ball and a field. sometimes a stick, sometimes indoors on a hardwood floor. Sports is the original reality show.
I always joked Survivor needed to be in places like Siberia or other extremely difficult locales... not the tropics.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
We got rid of cable TV a couple of years ago, and never watch broadcast TV unless it's sports (college fb/pro fb/college basketball....but only if it's Creighton or the NCAA tourney).

The longer I go without TV, the more I come to understand why my parents called it the "idiot box".
Mrs. TiA and I never got cable (or internet) when we moved to Athens in November, primarily because of budgetary concerns since she didn't have a job when we moved here. The gym where we work out has TVs on most of the cardio machines, and wireless internet throughout so we mooch off of them when we need it. Strange thing is neither she nor I really miss it. We only watched a few shows anyway (and since it's no longer football season, that cut out about 95% of my TV watching) and couldn't justify the $100+/mo. expense. So I'm right with you there. I prefer reading, getting outdoors, working out, spending time with the Missus, etc., now than flipping mindlessly through the "idiot box".

As far as reality TV, it has never been my cup of tea. I've watched a few of most types (Osbournes, Amazing Race, etc.), but never got into them to the point where I had to see them. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I watched two seasons of American Idol, and an old show on Fox called "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance."
I much prefer to watch an interpretation of, allegory of, or an exaggerated version of reality. I think shows like The Wire, Arrested Development, and Friday Night Lights tell me more about "reality" than any reality show. Maybe not Arrested Development.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If you're talking about the drama-filled, soap-opera type reality shows then I have no use for them. I do like many of the History and Discovery ones, though.

Of course, you have to realize that no "reality" show accurately depicts reality. What little bit of reality that is actually shown is controlled, edited, and accompanied by staged scenes by the individuals, producers, and directors.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
I, like most of us, fell in love with Julie on The Real World.

That said, I have no use for the fake drama that they pump into most 'reality' television. It's such a broad genre though, so it's a hard question to answer.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I enjoy the competition shows like Survivor, The Amazing Race and American Idol. I've never watched Jersey Shore, but admit to having thoroughly enjoyed shows like The Real World back in my 20's, but only for the first few seasons - lost interest after that.

Like Riz said, some of it is compelling and well-produced and some of it is trash and not worth my time, and that applies to pretty much everything else on television.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
I have shows I won't miss.
Bama playing in any sport.

I have shows that I try not to miss.
Justified
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead and a few others

I have shows I like to watch that may have to be DVRed
NCIS
Person of Interest
White Collar
House and a few others

No time on my TV schedule for "reality" TV.

Long story short......Not much. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.