(2018 thread) Active Shooter - Stoneman Douglas High School (near Coral Springs, FL)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is thrown out there all the time, but the law was a bad one, and there are already laws in place prohibiting firearms sales to those considered mentally ill: https://www.snopes.com/congress-gun-legal-mental/

THIS is the perfect example as to how you get gun-owners to dig their heals in and fight any change whatsoever - this article completely glosses over why many (not just gun advocates) thought this law was bad, and the headline is about as misleading as it can get.

My point remains - if people want to have a real discussion about this, they need to drop the rhetoric and educate themselves.
that is a point that goes both directions (not intending this for you, just using your point).

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm still baffled how they young man was able to buy the weapon at age 19. Considering the frontal lobe that controls "reason" or "logic" doesn't fully develop in men until 24/25 yrs of age in many cases, do we need to reconsider the sale of such weapons beyond a certain age? I'm just throwing that out there for discussion. Isn't ironic that many rental car companies won't rent cars to men below age 25? I'm guessing for similar reasons.
What is the legal age to join the military?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
not just a member, he was trained by them in para military tactics

Jereb said Cruz belonged to a RoF “cell” from Clearwater and drove up with members to Tallahassee to do paramilitary training. RoF was recently operating in Tallahassee and attempting to court new members, according to a local news report from last year. The group posts videos of training montages on the internet with members in fatigues brandishing weapons.

“I’m not trying to glorify it, but he was pretty efficient in what he did,” Jereb said. “He probably used that training to do what he did yesterday. Nobody I know told him to do that, he just freaked out.”

as a former resident of Coral Springs FL myself, including going to some Middle and Highschool there I'll go ahead and confirm that yeah it is a pretty heavily Jewish area.

While no motive has been described by police, Jereb speculated that Cruz may have allegedly committed the massacre out of hatred for Jews or women.

“There’s a very real sense of feminism being a cancer. That could’ve played into what he did, but we have female members of RoF,” Jereb said, adding that “we’re not a big fan of Jews. I think there were a lot of Jews at the school that might have been messing with him.”
Remember when the Right wingers freaked out that the FBI was watching these kind of groups under Obama? Maybe there was something there

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Local law enforcement: No ties between militia and school shooter

Local law enforcement sources have so far not found a connection between accused Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz and a Tallahassee-based paramilitary group.

Leon County law enforcement sources told the Tallahassee Democrat that they could not find information linking Cruz to the Republic of Florida Militia, as first reported by the group’s self-proclaimed leader Jordan Jereb.

Leon County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Grady Jordan said investigative work Thursday did not yield any connections.

“We are still doing some work but we have no known ties between the ROF, Jordan Jereb or the Broward shooter,” Jordan said.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I remember back in 96 my ex wife and I went down to Lakeland Fl to visit her mom. Her brother rode back with us and we stopped at a rest area for a bathroom break about a 100 or so miles out. We were approached by the rest area (armed) guard as we were going back to the car, and he struck up a conversation with us out of the blue and came right out trying to persuade us to join a militia. I can’t remember what he said the name of it was, but that’s probably because I shared no interest in entertaining his offer. He sure didn’t hesitate to share the groups position on blacks and Jews. We just tried to end the conversation as quickly as we could to get back on the road again. It was a strange situation indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember back in 96 my ex wife and I went down to Lakeland Fl to visit her mom. Her brother rode back with us and we stopped at a rest area for a bathroom break about a 100 or so miles out. We were approached by the rest area (armed) guard as we were going back to the car, and he struck up a conversation with us out of the blue and came right out trying to persuade us to join a militia. I can’t remember what he said the name of it was, but that’s probably because I shared no interest in entertaining his offer. He sure didn’t hesitate to share the groups position on blacks and Jews. We just tried to end the conversation as quickly as we could to get back on the road again. It was a strange situation indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polk County is a weird place...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Color me unsurprised. Amazing what the hunger for publicity will drive people to...
Sorry, but Tallahassee Democrat's report that the local Tallahassee PD has looked in on this within the last 24 hours and not found anything doesn't strike me as anything on which we could possibly draw any conclusion. Though I must admit that I eagerly await the opinion of the same people that shredded this same police department on the Jameis threads

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Sorry, but Tallahassee Democrat's report that the local Tallahassee PD has looked in on this within the last 24 hours and not found anything doesn't strike me as anything on which we could possibly draw any conclusion. Though I must admit that I eagerly await the opinion of the same people that shredded this same police department on the Jameis threads
Leon County law enforcement sources told the Tallahassee Democrat that they could not find information linking Cruz, 19, to the Republic of Florida Militia, as claimed by the group’s self-proclaimed leader Jordan Jereb
Come on man

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
too bad it wasn't isis that claimed him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.