Link: Document Shows Untrained 'Third Party' Overruled Controversial Call in Pac-12 Game

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

On the final play of the third quarter of Washington State’s game at USC on Sept. 21, Trojan quarterback JT Daniels scrambled and ducked to a knee. After he’d established himself as down, Washington State linebacker Logan Tago dove at him headfirst and initiated clear helmet-to-helmet contact. The play drew both a flag for roughing the passer and a review for targeting.

It was a clear enough call that both the in-stadium replay officials and the replay officials in the Pac-12’s command center in San Francisco ruled the play as a targeting penalty, according to an internal replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports. This call would have ejected Tago from the game. An independent veteran official who viewed the play also told Yahoo Sports it was “clear targeting.”

Targeting wasn’t called and Tago stayed in the game. The replay report obtained by Yahoo Sports states that “unfortunately a third party did not agree” with the call. That “third party” was Pac-12 general counsel and senior vice president of business affairs Woodie Dixon, Yahoo Sports sources have confirmed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I read that. Very strange. If it is true, someone needs to be fired.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Looks like another case of "my lawyer told me to do it"...
From his Wiki page:

...went on to earn his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1999 and his Masters of Sport Management from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2004.[SUP][3][/SUP] Dixon has also been an adjunct professor at the Washburn University School of Law in Topeka, Kansas, teaching sports law.[4

So, basically someone who deems himself to be more enlightened than the idiots he employs to do the work that gets done and has absolutely no regard for rule of law---------

Steps off soap box.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He admits to a "mistake" in their procedures? This wasn't a mistake. Did someone accidentally write into the policy that this guy has the power to override penalties and accidentally provide the means to do so? He called into the stadium to reverse the call. He wasn't there. He was a part of the plan, not a mistake. Their only mistake was in having this uncovered.
Right. There's no mistake in someone calling to give their opinion when they're not included in the first place.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This explains a lot. Now and then a call is made with the only explanation being cheating. Bookie $$$. I wonder how much was made on that call. No this is not blue font because it does happen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.