jonsol: Miami announces self-imposed postseason ban again. Georgia Tech to play FSU

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
We have heard a lot but I think there is a LOT more we don't know may be doing EVERYTING they can to stop DP although I think it will never be used again but the make you wish you were dead penalty coming.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
They have little fan support right now; post season is not a big deal, although forfeiting chance for Acc title is the meat they are throwing at the Ncaa to satiate the hunger pains to devour the program with penalties.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
It's good news bad news for GT. You get to be the division champs and play in the ACCCG, but if you lose to both UGA and FSU, you are 6-7 and not bowl-eligible after all (as you would have been at 6-6).

Jerry Palm says that the waiver that UCLA got last year to play in a bowl at 6-7 no longer exists. The Jackets' main hope is that there aren't 70 bowl eligible teams, in which 7 loss teams can get in, based on APR. He predicts that GT, Rice and Wake Forest will thus get in at 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
It's good news bad news for GT. You get to be the division champs and play in the ACCCG, but if you lose to both UGA and FSU, you are 6-7 and not bowl-eligible after all (as you would have been at 6-6).

Jerry Palm says that the waiver that UCLA got last year to play in a bowl at 6-7 no longer exists.
The waiver doesn't exist because it is no longer necessary. The NCAA updated it's bowl eligibility rules for 2012 and it specifically covers losers of conference championship games that were bowl eligible going in.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...l-game-tiebreakers-include-fcs-wins-5-7-teams

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
The waiver doesn't exist because it is no longer necessary. The NCAA updated it's bowl eligibility rules for 2012 and it specifically covers losers of conference championship games that were bowl eligible going in.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...l-game-tiebreakers-include-fcs-wins-5-7-teams
I remember when we use to sweat out bowl eligibility.

So here's the pecking order.

1. 6-6 (with at least 5 wins against FBS schools)
2. 6-6 (with 2 wins against FCS schools)
3. 6-7 (with loss in conference championship game)
4. 6-7 (played 13 games like when you play Hawaii)
5. FCS teams moving to FBS with a 6-6 record or better
6. 5-7 and top five APR

CBS projects going all the way to the last category to grab Wake Forest and Rice, because they only predict 67 qualifiers for 70 slots. But if three five-win teams pull upset, GT's bubble could burst, using the basketball language.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
We have heard a lot but I think there is a LOT more we don't know may be doing EVERYTING they can to stop DP although I think it will never be used again but the make you wish you were dead penalty coming.
The Penn State president said they were on the verge of getting the death penalty had they not agreed on the terms from the NCAA.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Miami made a smart move by taking a second year of penalty. If might starve off the NCAA wolves.
The NCAA is busy now with the trash fires at Auburn,Tennessee, Arkansas and North Carolina.
Who knows what skeletons will fall out of those closets as coaches & assistants vacate jobs this year?

Burning Question: Will 'Bought' coaches stay 'Bought' after they are fired?
Only time will tell.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
They're begging to not get hammered, but I suspect it's too little, too late...
Exactly..Something really bad is coming their way for them too offer up another bowl ban..I'm like you..I have a feeling Emmert is about to use Miami as another example of the NCAA coming down really hard on widespread cheating at major schools..Personally..I hope he comes down lots harder on The Hurricanes than what they're offering up..What fans they do have rival the arrogance of any fanbase in the country..I just don't like The 'Canes or their fans in the least..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I remember when we use to sweat out bowl eligibility.

So here's the pecking order.

1. 6-6 (with at least 5 wins against FBS schools)
2. 6-6 (with 2 wins against FCS schools)
3. 6-7 (with loss in conference championship game)
4. 6-7 (played 13 games like when you play Hawaii)
5. FCS teams moving to FBS with a 6-6 record or better
6. 5-7 and top five APR

CBS projects going all the way to the last category to grab Wake Forest and Rice, because they only predict 67 qualifiers for 70 slots. But if three five-win teams pull upset, GT's bubble could burst, using the basketball language.
Tech beter hope Missouri and Ole Miss don't pull off an upset this weekend.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Is self-imposing a penalty that keeps your team out of a game that they are guaranteed to lose by 30+ points really punishment?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is a great recruiting strategy to counter the ills of the wait, which puts your program in limbo. The punishment did not effect the past two recruiting classes due to it being during and for the present season and they can lie to future recruits that the worst is over.

Our recruiting classes were effected before sanctions.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.