News Article: North Korea launches 4 more missiles; 3 land in Japanese waters

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
The problem is what will be the effect on Seoul if we take action against NK. That has to be taken into consideration. 35 miles is in artillery range.
I'm pretty sure I've relayed this here before...
When I got to Korea in '04, one of our briefers stated how much tonnage of shells per hour was expected to fall on Seoul if the balloon went up. I can't impress anyone with the number because I don't remember it anymore, but it was a lot. Also stated was the average life expectancy for US service members in "2 ID land", AKA Area 1, AKA the area between Seoul and the DMZ, in the event of war; it was less than a minute.

As an aside, I knew a guy who was assigned to a listening post, which is as forward deployed as you can be. He said when his group of newbies arrived at the location, they were greeted in order over North Korean loud speakers with, "Welcome to Korea, Sergeant (or whatever rank each one was) so-and-so, social security such-and-such, enjoy your stay." Freaky.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
North Korea tests new rocket engine

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea’s latest test of a rocket engine showed that the country was making “meaningful progress” in trying to build more powerful rockets and missiles, South Korean officials said on Monday.

North Korea said on Sunday that it had conducted a ground jet test of a newly developed high-thrust missile engine, which its leader, Kim Jong-un, called “a great event of historic significance.” Using the characteristic bombast of such announcements, he said that the test heralded “a new birth” of the country’s rocket industry and that “the whole world will soon witness what eventful significance the great victory won today carries.”

The United Nations Security Council has banned the country from satellite launchings, considering its satellite program a cover for developing an intercontinental ballistic missile.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/world/asia/north-korea-missile-test-rocket-engine.html?_r=0

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: North Korea successfully launches ICBM

On the Fourth of July, North Korea marked a milestone by firing an intercontinental ballistic missile that soared high into space before turning around and landing in the sea near Japan. The North's state media said the missile, Hwasong-14, flew 580 miles, reaching an altitude of 1,741 miles, and flew for nearly 40 minutes.

"Testing an ICBM [intercontinental ballistic missile] represents a new escalation of the threat to the United States, our allies and partners, the region and the world," Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said in a statement Tuesday night. "Global action is required to stop a global threat."
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/07/05/535465234/after-north-koreas-icbm-launch-now-what
Estimates are that it has a range of about 4100 miles, long enough to reach Alaska. It is not believed that NK possesses a nuclear warhead light enough or hardened enough to survive re-entry yet but is probably only 12 to 18 months away from having a fully functional system.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Re: North Korea successfully launches ICBM

Estimates are that it has a range of about 4100 miles, long enough to reach Alaska. It is not believed that NK possesses a nuclear warhead light enough or hardened enough to survive re-entry yet but is probably only 12 to 18 months away from having a fully functional system.

So you are saying go ahead and blow the 401K on coke and hookers because in a year it won't matter?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: North Korea tests new rocket engine

And speaking of the NY Slimes (the so-called "paper of record"), they fell for a fake Twitter account, and published a story from it, as coming from Kim Jong FatBoy's "news" agency.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...th-korea-news-from-satirical-twitter-account/

Yeah, they published a retraction...................

The New York Times article about the North Korean missile launch now includes the following correction:

Correction: July 4, 2017

“Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article attributed incorrectly a Twitter statement to the North Korean government. The North Korean government did not belittle a joint American-South Korean military exercise as “demonstrating near total ignorance of ballistic science,” that statement was from the DPRK News Service, a parody Twitter account.”
And they blame us for harming journalism. They are doing that by themselves.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And fatboy kim might be dead by then (*clears throat*) - just saying, we shouldn't worry one bit right now. Let SK worry about SK.
I say tier 1 personnel should take short round out. The problem is China is not too sure of what happens after the house of Kim falls. I say put Han-sol on the throne. He is a westernized progressive and is still a part of the Kim dynasty.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They will back them up with their nukes... no way NK does anything without Beijing's approval. Kim Jong-un is to China what Erich Honecker was to the old Soviet Union. China has a long term plan to conquer South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan.
China won't back NK unless the US starts it without cause. The whole issue the first time around was due to Mao's man crush on Stalin and his deep convictions on a communist world. Stalin was more concerned with getting Truman back for a bunch of threats of nuclear war and not treating him like FDR did , but wasnt ready to risk nuclear war over a former Japanese territory. So he goaded Mao into having a land war with the Americans.

China today is more of a hybrid between a communist regime with capatilist goals. They keep many of Mao's authoritarian ideals but they have moved away from pure communism and into a system revolving around international trade. Given a choice of only one of those ideas to keep they would choose international trade in a heart beat.

So what's their modern connection to NK? It's more of ceremonial and historical value. They really wish NK would move on like Vietnam did in terms of their crazy isolationist views on the non communist world and become a player at the world stage. They aren't so thrilled with Kim 2 and Kim 3, but they aren't so thrilled with hungry NKs fleeing in droves from political chaos of the end of the Kim dynasty. They also aren't too thrilled with the prospect of Americans being in NK, but aren't going to fight them. I think the only solution is Kim Han-Sol, and if Trump or Mattis could sell the Chinese on him then I think they would volunteer to do the dirty deed for us.

Point is China and the US aren't fighting over NK with Short round in charge and the massive trade deals at stake. China has changed since 1953 tremendously, NK has not.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
North Korea will be able to launch nuclear weapons next year, US officials warn

The Pentagon has said that North Korea will be able to field a nuclear-capable, intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) as soon as 2018.

The new timeline, coming from the Defence Intelligence Agency, is two years earlier than previous estimates.

The Washington Post has reported the new date is based on recent advancements observed during Pyongyang's latest test of missiles that could reach North America, specifically Alaska or Hawaii.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ch-2018-next-year-us-assessment-a7859946.html
Looks like Trump will follow the pattern of past presidents and do very little. But with this president, who knows and that is a scary scenario also. Are we screwed one way or the other?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is going to be an issue sooner than later...

If the missile had been fired on a trajectory designed to maximize its range, it could have flown 6,500 miles, said David Wright, co-director of the Global Security Program at the Union of Concerned Scientists. This is without taking into account the rotation of the Earth, which increases the range of missiles fired to the east.

“Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago appear to be well within range of this missile, and that Boston and New York may be just within range,” Wright said. Washington may still be just out of range, he added.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...-1145am:homepage/story&utm_term=.c1d274f1bb07

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
You really think it gets to that point?

After reading this I suspect we drop the hammer before that ever happens...
I truly hope not, but successive administrations have kicked the can down the road, deciding not to decide, and here we are.
The thing about ICBMs is that they reduce decision times to minutes.
The US withdrew from the ABM Treaty in 2001, but I'm not sure the US has a deployed anti-missile system around DC (or NY), so NK launch = US city nuked, unless North Korean nuclear and rocket scientists are bad at their jobs and the missile malfunctions or the warhead is a dud. Hoping these scientists stink at their jobs is not a great method.

On the other hand, doing something pre-emptive will not be easy, will cause a lot of SK casualties and will generate criticisms and hand-wringing among the usual suspects.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.