Medical marijuana - a veteran's story

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't have an equally impressive video of a veteran using cannabis, but this video is both heartbreaking and heart-warming:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/mark.zartler/videos/vb.1493770279/10211993552862844/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab [/video]

The back story:

https://texasoriginalcc.com/cannabis-for-autism-scientific-research/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/new...ated-autistic-daughter-marijuana-fit-guardian

If that doesn't change someone's mind I have no idea what will.

[FONT=&quot]Christy and Mark dressed themselves with care, too, thinking about the impression they'd make on the judge. Even though both have long considered themselves Republicans, they were glad they got a Democrat instead of a hardline conservative.[/FONT]

this quote has me so freaking mad. I'm really happy for this family that they got a Democrat in their case but it ...... me off that it hasn't changed how they vote

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
this quote has me so freaking mad. I'm really happy for this family that they got a Democrat in their case but it ...... me off that it hasn't changed how they vote
I think everyone should look at the individual they are voting for and ask if that person supports patients getting naturally growing medicine that works. If not, find someone else - whatever the party affiliation.

That's about as deep into politics I'd like this thread to get - vote for anyone you can who makes this medicine legal for those who need it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the Alabama thread. State House Speaker Mac McCutchen wants to appoint a committee to study legalizing medical marijuana instead of passing a bill.

https://www.apr.org/post/al-house-may-alter-medical-marijuana-bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. Someone associated with this bill said they don't lose anything by delaying. I beg to differ. Medicinal users either must go without or risk arrest. They have a lot to lose by delay.

Also, Alabama needs to get over a limit on THC. Some need that higher THC level. And if someone gets high then so be it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
https://www.vetscp.org/

The Veterans Cannabis Project is dedicated to improving US military veterans’ quality of life through the opportunity of cannabis.
https://www.leafly.com/news/health/santa-cruz-veterans-alliance-cannabis-ptsd

The VA Can’t Provide Cannabis to Veterans With PTSD, so This Group Gives It Out for Free

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT]nce a month, staff members at the Santa Cruz Veterans Alliance(SCVA) fill more than 100 brown paper bags with high-quality medical cannabis and pass them out for free at a local community center. For the military veterans who receive it—many of whom struggle with PTSD—the medical cannabis acts as a lifeline to health.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The SCVA, which operates out of an old office in a Santa Cruz neighborhood, has been serving local men and women since 2011, when the organization was founded by military veterans Aaron Newsom and Jason Sweatt.
After six years of service, though, SCVA’s mission now faces challenges due to an ironic new development: the legalization of cannabis in California. New regulations due to take effect in early 2018 don’t allow the SCVA to continue operating as they do today.[/FONT]

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I had just watched the video when I responded above. After reading the article, I hope more people can be exposed to this story and others showing the benefits of this drug.

I read an interesting article in the January National Geographic. It’s about a woman, Teresa McKeown who beat stage 3 breast cancer with a double mastectomy and aggressive chemo. Thirteen years later the cancer returned and this time the chemo failed. As a last resort Teresa went to a cancer clinic in San Diego where the DNA of her cancer cells were analyzed and a computer analyzed how to best treat the cancer. The computer recommended a drug normally used for melanoma, kidney cancer, or lung cancer but not for breast cancer. The treatment worked and Teresa is again cancer free.

My point here is doctors need every tool in the toolbox available to them when trying to treat patients. I suspect the future of medicine will be more linked to DNA analysis for almost all treatments so that there may eventually be no drug of choice for any given malady.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I had just watched the video when I responded above. After reading the article, I hope more people can be exposed to this story and others showing the benefits of this drug.

I read an interesting article in the January National Geographic. It’s about a woman, Teresa McKeown who beat stage 3 breast cancer with a double mastectomy and aggressive chemo. Thirteen years later the cancer returned and this time the chemo failed. As a last resort Teresa went to a cancer clinic in San Diego where the DNA of her cancer cells were analyzed and a computer analyzed how to best treat the cancer. The computer recommended a drug normally used for melanoma, kidney cancer, or lung cancer but not for breast cancer. The treatment worked and Teresa is again cancer free.

My point here is doctors need every tool in the toolbox available to them when trying to treat patients. I suspect the future of medicine will be more linked to DNA analysis for almost all treatments so that there may eventually be no drug of choice for any given malady.
The advancements of genetics in medicine is astounding. Unfortunately, so is the cost as most insurances don't cover. With time that may change.

I'm with you and I'm pretty sure Earle agrees as well since his DNA is so weird. :D Genetics will point us to individual treatments and that will help get people on the right treatment earlier but also avoid drugs that would cause harm instead.

Meanwhile, all that advancement and a weed can still help people better than modern medicine in some cases. Maybe we can figure out how and why at some point.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yes. Someone associated with this bill said they don't lose anything by delaying. I beg to differ. Medicinal users either must go without or risk arrest. They have a lot to lose by delay.

Also, Alabama needs to get over a limit on THC. Some need that higher THC level. And if someone gets high then so be it.
Georgia too. My Dad's prostate cancer has spread to his bones. He is down for days after chemo and 81 years old. Who gives a damn if he is watching the history channel baked out of his mind for a few days, he's earned it

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Wasn’t sure if I should post this here or in the Alabama thread. State House Speaker Mac McCutchen wants to appoint a committee to study legalizing medical marijuana instead of passing a bill.

https://www.apr.org/post/al-house-may-alter-medical-marijuana-bill

Paul Lee, R, from Dothan does not want it passed. Votes are there, but he has some plan to delay and then bring up at the last minute when there isn't time to get it through. I know some folks are already calling him and his office trying to get him to reconsider. I don't know if it has had any impact yet, but hopefully the phone calls will continue and may make him reconsider.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Georgia too. My Dad's prostate cancer has spread to his bones. He is down for days after chemo and 81 years old. Who gives a damn if he is watching the history channel baked out of his mind for a few days, he's earned it
At 81 you're damn right he's earned it. Wish I could have given it to my dad as he wasted away from Alzheimer's. I'm making sure mom gets CBD, which is legal now at least. He could get out of his gourd drunk, but OMG THC!

I hate to hear about his health. I hope the pain and other symptoms are manageable. Cannabis would certainly help all of it.

Paul Lee, R, from Dothan does not want it passed. Votes are there, but he has some plan to delay and then bring up at the last minute when there isn't time to get it through. I know some folks are already calling him and his office trying to get him to reconsider. I don't know if it has had any impact yet, but hopefully the phone calls will continue and may make him reconsider.
I doubt he does, but one can hope. People need to vote his ignorance butt out of office and all the rest opposed to this unless they come around quickly.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
As long as he has an R by his name, he will be re-elected unless he is primaried by someone further to the right.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Again, but that's as far into politics as I want to get other than people need to vote for those who want to help the people.

ETA: or in the case of cannabis, allow the people to help themselves.
I don’t live in Dothan, but if I did I would support someone running against him on this issue. Unfortunately, too many people see medical marijuana as opening the door to legalizing heroin.

The state legislature here only meets for about a month so it is easy to go into the four corners and kill the bill.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I don’t live in Dothan, but if I did I would support someone running against him on this issue. Unfortunately, too many people see medical marijuana as opening the door to legalizing heroin.

The state legislature here only meets for about a month so it is easy to go into the four corners and kill the bill.

I'm good with legalization. It has been of great benefit to Portugal by reducing deaths greatly while our overdose death rate has skyrocketed during the same time period. Their HIV infection rate has plummeted as well. I do realize that for using logic I am an outlier on the argument, but if harm reduction is the goal then the way we're doing it is the wrong way and we should learn from others who have done better.

Last I checked no state has legalized heroin, though CO may have done so for mushrooms.

People should not be afraid of cannabis. It is ignorance and prejudice that keeps this plant illegal.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm good with legalization. It has been of great benefit to Portugal by reducing deaths greatly while our overdose death rate has skyrocketed during the same time period. Their HIV infection rate has plummeted as well. I do realize that for using logic I am an outlier on the argument, but if harm reduction is the goal then the way we're doing it is the wrong way and we should learn from others who have done better.

Last I checked no state has legalized heroin, though CO may have done so for mushrooms.

People should not be afraid of cannabis. It is ignorance and prejudice that keeps this plant illegal.
IIRC only Denver did and they didn't legalize it they decriminalized it. But if the studies that are going on with mushrooms and LSD continue to pan out I wouldn't be surprised to see psychedelics become legal in some states.

I too am good with legalization of most possibly all drugs.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
All of the equipment is here. I just have to do a about thousand things like moving boxes from garage to shed and putting everything together and testing it out before I begin germinating seeds. I'm not going to use a bit of it for myself and yet my excitement grows.

Had to make another run last weekend to the dispensary. Feel like I get hosed every time but the last place was actually much better than the one before. I had to call them after I got home and complement the staff. Still too expensive.

I have immersed myself into learning how to do this so hopefully I don't screw it up too badly. I have some new friends that should be able to help make sure I don't.

I went with my son on a field trip yesterday. We had a great time. At lunch I took his medicine from a prescription bottle and gave it to him just like any other medicine. No big deal at all. A few months ago this trip would have been either impossible to try or much more worrisome and tiring. Comparatively I had mild apprehension and mostly anticipation instead of fear and dread. Got to spend some time talking with his teacher and that was fun. Got to see my son hanging out with his friend, doing things he would not do a few months ago (I know, because I tried).

Other than some minor stuff no meltdowns (probably jinxing it again) but I am still just finally starting to relax a little bit. Even with some bumps in the road it is so much smoother now. There is such a stark difference from a few months ago.

Sorry to drone on. I do get a bit emotional thinking about it all. I'm not ready to tell the whole story to help you understand why I feel this way, but suffice it to say that this has changed the life of everyone here in a good way.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
All of the equipment is here. I just have to do a about thousand things like moving boxes from garage to shed and putting everything together and testing it out before I begin germinating seeds. I'm not going to use a bit of it for myself and yet my excitement grows.

Had to make another run last weekend to the dispensary. Feel like I get hosed every time but the last place was actually much better than the one before. I had to call them after I got home and complement the staff. Still too expensive.

I have immersed myself into learning how to do this so hopefully I don't screw it up too badly. I have some new friends that should be able to help make sure I don't.

I went with my son on a field trip yesterday. We had a great time. At lunch I took his medicine from a prescription bottle and gave it to him just like any other medicine. No big deal at all. A few months ago this trip would have been either impossible to try or much more worrisome and tiring. Comparatively I had mild apprehension and mostly anticipation instead of fear and dread. Got to spend some time talking with his teacher and that was fun. Got to see my son hanging out with his friend, doing things he would not do a few months ago (I know, because I tried).

Other than some minor stuff no meltdowns (probably jinxing it again) but I am still just finally starting to relax a little bit. Even with some bumps in the road it is so much smoother now. There is such a stark difference from a few months ago.

Sorry to drone on. I do get a bit emotional thinking about it all. I'm not ready to tell the whole story to help you understand why I feel this way, but suffice it to say that this has changed the life of everyone here in a good way.
It would be great if you could share some photos of your set up particularly the germination booth. I can appreciate the emotions without understanding the details at all.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
It would be great if you could share some photos of your set up particularly the germination booth. I can appreciate the emotions without understanding the details at all.
Thanks, UAH. Before posting pics along the way I'd want explicit OK to do so even though it's legal here at the state level and even though I personally want to help normalize this plant as medicine.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.