JessN: Clemson wrap-up: Tide loses a heartbreaker on 2 controversial TDs

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

mgebama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 20, 2005
Too many dropped passes also a key factor no one is mentioning much. Bama had 3-4 drops that could have limited possessions for Clemson and maybe added points. Great year, already looking forward to a run next year.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm not as sure as you are on this. With Tua coming in, the spring QB competition is going to be red hot I think. As athletic as JH is and as much as he accomplished, if he doesn't progress a bunch between now and next fall he might be watching instead of playing. Teams had him figured out the whole last part of the season.
We'll see. I just have a hard time believing Hurts will not improve any. Most incoming freshman quarterbacks get an opportunity to sit for at least a year or more (most of time more), learn the academic/technical side of the game, get used to college life and the increased physical demands of D1/FBS football. I remember the few games AJ McCarron was able to play in the year before he became the starter. He didn't look too hot, then his first year of actually starting he had his struggles. And I believe he was a RS JR if I'm not mistaken. Granted, none of us have a crystal ball into the 2017 season. But just knowing how Hurts is wired and his pedigree (coach's son). I'd put my money on him making huge strides next season.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm not as sure as you are on this. With Tua coming in, the spring QB competition is going to be red hot I think. As athletic as JH is and as much as he accomplished, if he doesn't progress a bunch between now and next fall he might be watching instead of playing. Teams had him figured out the whole last part of the season.
I've been thinking similar thoughts over the past few games. I've only seen a little bit of Tua throwing the ball but what I have seen he appears to be a better passer than Jalen. I think he's got a decent chance to win the starting job. I'm sure Tua feels that way also since he held firm with his commitment to Alabama after Jalen became the starter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've been thinking similar thoughts over the past few games. I've only seen a little bit of Tua throwing the ball but what I have seen he appears to be a better passer than Jalen. I think he's got a decent chance to win the starting job. I'm sure Tua feels that way also since he held firm with his commitment to Alabama after Jalen became the starter.
I get what you're saying. But comparing someone throwing against HS competition compared to an 18 year old true freshman throwing against D1 elite talent and on many Saturdays against future NFL players, isn't the best way to compare two players. When I saw Cooper Bateman's HS recruiting videos I just knew he was going be a great QB for us. I thought the same thing about a few other QB's who we recruited that ultimately didn't pan out.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Jess are you or can you do some more analysis sort of summimg up the season and the future? LOL, I need more closure and some way to put this season in perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
He'll do a much better job than I would, but here's my two cent's worth. Back as far as the summer, I was concerned that the lack of QB experience would catch up to us at some point, no matter who the QB was. If you had told me then that we would have been 14-1 and SEC champions, I would have been pleased. Jalen will have a year's experience in games as well as another full offseason as the presumed #1 and he should develop further. I think a lot of his issues can be cured with experience. We will lose some stars, but we always do. I don't know who leaves early (Stewart, perhaps; I think Scarborough will need to stay), but we should be in good shape talent-wise.

The schedule in 2017 is not unreasonable. The opener with FSU in the new ATL stadium will be big; the rest of the non-conference schedule is Fresno State, Colorado St., and Mercer(!). We replace a home game with Kentucky with a road game at Vanderbilt and our other road trips are A&M, MSU and Auburn.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
We'll see. I just have a hard time believing Hurts will not improve any. Most incoming freshman quarterbacks get an opportunity to sit for at least a year or more (most of time more), learn the academic/technical side of the game, get used to college life and the increased physical demands of D1/FBS football. I remember the few games AJ McCarron was able to play in the year before he became the starter. He didn't look too hot, then his first year of actually starting he had his struggles. And I believe he was a RS JR if I'm not mistaken. Granted, none of us have a crystal ball into the 2017 season. But just knowing how Hurts is wired and his pedigree (coach's son). I'd put my money on him making huge strides next season.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's JH's job to lose and if he makes even moderate improvement in the downfield passing game he will be the man. I certainly hope that's what happens. I'm just not ready to say he's locked in with no competition for the next 2-3 seasons. He'll get pushed and that's a good thing for the whole team.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Philbert was talking about "rub blocks" all night. I just listened on the radio, so just how often did Clemson run picks? I got the impression it was more than just the two TD's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If we stop one slant or one screen on each of those drives, those two plays never happen. There was just not enough gas in the tank.
You've posted this numerous times in various threads.

You're pretty much saying "the officials' bad job is excused because you didn't tackle enough."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess are you or can you do some more analysis sort of summimg up the season and the future? LOL, I need more closure and some way to put this season in perspective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Look for something this weekend.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
The critical aspect of these is WHO initiated the contact? The bigger onus is on the offensive player to avoid the contact since he knows the route he is running. They are not black and white and I bet you don't get full agreement on both calls last night. IMO with the benefit of the doubt I have a foul on the first one and no call on the second one. The reason on the second one is it appears the defender initiated the contact.
If it's on or behind the LOS, either player can initiate and it's not going to get called (nor should it) because the receiver is technically not downfield and could just be setting up a WR screen. This is also an example of a corner "jamming" a receiver if the defense initiates the contact. If the ball is thrown behind the LOS, by rule it is not OPI.

Defensively, there is usually a bit of a grace given where the corner has the opportunity to keep the receiver from making a move downfield. But once that move is made, the defender better release or he's probably going to get called for defensive holding (not necessarily PI).

However, under no circumstances can a receiver release downfield and then begin blocking for a pass thrown beyond the LOS. This is offensive PI in all cases. Clemson's WR buried his head into the Alabama DB's chest and made no attempt, cursory or otherwise, to even pretend to be running a route.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, thoughts on our running game last night? Averaged 6.5/carry. At least half of our RBs carries went for 4+.

In a game where Hurts averaged 4.2 yds per pass attempt and the RBs averaged 5.6 per carry, shouldn't the RBs have gotten more touches?

We had a 24-14 lead going into the fourth (albeit it was quickly 24-21), and only ran the ball 4 times. Really hard to sustain drives and eat clock when you only run it on 4 of your 16 offensive plays in the final quarter.

We only had 3 first downs in the second half and all were from runs by RBs. Yet, we only gave them 8 carries the entire second half.

Possibly, but those per-carry averages include Scarbrough's big plays and he was no longer available. I don't think our coaches believed the two smaller backs would have much success against Clemson's DL, a reasonable assumption given the size Clemson brought off the edges. As we talked about in the pregame, you won't see a 4-3 team very often that starts a 310-pound weakside end.

Clemson's run defense stiffed up significantly from about mid-second the the end of the third quarter. They made nice adjustments at the half and I don't think if Alabama had committed to doing nothing but running, that it would have been very successful. At best, it would have shortened the game a little. The inability to pass effectively was the killer. Against a front seven like Clemson's, Alabama wasn't simply going to line up and impose its will. Clemson was too good for that.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
If we stop one slant or one screen on each of those drives, those two plays never happen. There was just not enough gas in the tank.
Being on the field for 100 play's kinda runs the tank down to EMPTY!
With Bo gone, Clemson knew all they had to do was shut down Hurts running, 'cause he wasn't going to hurt them passing...
Put that together with at least the two non-calls, defensive pass-interference, on Clemson's two td's, and wa-la you see what happens...
Another great job by big-12 official's, wonder how much Stoops paid them...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
If it's on or behind the LOS, either player can initiate and it's not going to get called (nor should it) because the receiver is technically not downfield and could just be setting up a WR screen. This is also an example of a corner "jamming" a receiver if the defense initiates the contact. If the ball is thrown behind the LOS, by rule it is not OPI.

Defensively, there is usually a bit of a grace given where the corner has the opportunity to keep the receiver from making a move downfield. But once that move is made, the defender better release or he's probably going to get called for defensive holding (not necessarily PI).

However, under no circumstances can a receiver release downfield and then begin blocking for a pass thrown beyond the LOS. This is offensive PI in all cases. Clemson's WR buried his head into the Alabama DB's chest and made no attempt, cursory or otherwise, to even pretend to be running a route.
Everything you said is correct. If you felt the Clemson receiver initiated the contact then this would be OPI. I disagree with you though. And so do 100% of the college officials I talked to. The contact was initiated by the defender and then he actually held the receiver. Since the ball went to the other receiver there was no advantage gained so I would pass on the hold.

The other TD should have been OPI in my opinion.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Dabo agrees... except its defensive

https://twitter.com/mcmurphyespn/status/818840805985161216

Is he serious ??
Even Rogers Redding said it was either defensive PI or a "tie," IOW, both players initiated contact. Which is utter nonsense and if even veteran referees cannot see what is blatant, then we are going to always be frustrated by this.

It wasn't necessarily the difference in the game. Clemson pretty clearly outplayed Alabama, and deserved to win. But these two plays were without a doubt OPI. They were illegal. It's OK for Clemson (Dabo) to admit that. It doesn't take away from the fact that they won, and they are forever written in history as the 2016 National Champions. But no, he's a buffoon. Folks that want him here clearly don't pay attention to this, because this example here is only the tip of the iceberg.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Everything you said is correct. If you felt the Clemson receiver initiated the contact then this would be OPI. I disagree with you though. And so do 100% of the college officials I talked to. The contact was initiated by the defender and then he actually held the receiver. Since the ball went to the other receiver there was no advantage gained so I would pass on the hold.

The other TD should have been OPI in my opinion.
Nonsense. How anyone could believe this is beyond me. The WR runs into the defender. It did not happen the other way around.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Just for comparison's sake - didn't Alabama get a TD called back early this football season because of a pick? Or maybe got a first down called back due to a pick? I want to say it was during one of the OOC games after the USC game.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
You've posted this numerous times in various threads.

You're pretty much saying "the officials' bad job is excused because you didn't tackle enough."

He is not excusing the refs. He is saying, if we make a tackle or two earlier in the possession, then Clemson is not in the position to run the pick play at the end and leave it up to a referee's call. The pick play is a 50/50 call...sometimes the refs call it and sometimes they don't.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just for comparison's sake - didn't Alabama get a TD called back early this football season because of a pick? Or maybe got a first down called back due to a pick? I want to say it was during one of the OOC games after the USC game.
I believe you are right. My fuzzy memory seems to recall this. Where is selma when you need him?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.