Mass shooting in Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Not trying to be snarky but how were these controlled?:conf3:
The targets were lined up against the wall. It was also done with Tommy Guns which are submachine guns and made more to be smaller, light, and handle better. 70 bullets were fired from short range and probably still mostly in bursts.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BTW, you don't really know enough about the characteristics to be snarky successfully. No offense... :D
Well, of course you were trying to be snarky, as was I. :) The others are correct. There is no comparison with the Thompson and an M-16 being fired full auto. The Thompson is a different machine. Without a muzzle brake, the M-16 - or the AR-15 - both jump around wildly. It's sometimes said in joke that the muzzle brake on an AR-15 punishes the shooter only slightly less than it punishes the guy on the other end... :)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
They were killed with a Thompson submachine gun which is a heavier gun (~11 lbs vs ~8 lbs) firing a considerably less powerful round (.45ACP vs 5.56 NATO/.223), which translates into far less recoil.

Pretty stable

Not much worse, but these guys are kinda cringe.

Why you would ever fire full auto without a muzzle brake is beyond me

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
They were killed with a Thompson submachine gun which is a heavier gun (~11 lbs vs ~8 lbs) firing a considerably less powerful round (.45ACP vs 5.56 NATO/.223), which translates into far less recoil.
I have shot both as well, and like you said, there is a total difference in recoil and control between the two. Plus, unlike the the Thompson in the video, most all of the pictures you see of the Thompson’s the gangsters carried had a fore grip installed thus offering even more control. (Not saying you can’t have one on an AR but the difference is night and day between the two in regards to recoil and controllability)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Thats why I was asking. How does muzzle braking work.
A muzzle brake is a type of venting on the end of the barrel where the gases propelling the bullet out of the barrel are forced upwards at the barrel tip, thereby exerting an additional downward force on the barrel in order to reduce muzzle climb during sustained firing. Different types also vent in different directions, such as rearwards to reduce felt recoil, etc. it is usually an extension added on to the barrel (otherwise you are compromising your barrel length/bullet velocity).

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thats why I was asking. How does muzzle braking work.
OK. With a normal muzzle or with the flash suppressor which the military rifle is fitted with and which most ARs are, for aesthetics and marketing, there are slots in the fitting on the end of the barrel which are ported downward, which tends to disguise, to some degree the hot burning gases exiting the end of the barrel. This has obvious advantages in combat. In a muzzle brake, the porting is, roughly, reversed. The gases are exhausted upwards and sideways and, to some degree, backwards. This has the effect of counteracting the tendency of the muzzle to climb upwards with each shot. In fact, with mine, it keeps the muzzle climb almost to zero, like shooting a .22. The downside is that it's loud, loud, loud - for you and anyone next to you. You don't want to do it without really good ear protection - or in a real emergency, where ear protection is secondary...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OK. With a normal muzzle or with the flash suppressor which the military rifle is fitted with and which most ARs are, for aesthetics and marketing, there are slots in the fitting on the end of the barrel which are ported downward, which tends to disguise, to some degree the hot burning gases exiting the end of the barrel. This has obvious advantages in combat. In a muzzle brake, the porting is, roughly, reversed. The gases are exhausted upwards and sideways and, to some degree, backwards. This has the effect of counteracting the tendency of the muzzle to climb upwards with each shot. In fact, with mine, it keeps the muzzle climb almost to zero, like shooting a .22. The downside is that it's loud, loud, loud - for you and anyone next to you. You don't want to do it without really good ear protection - or in a real emergency, where ear protection is secondary...
Probably unnecessary detail, but physics makes it almost impossible to design a rifle without some muzzle climb. If you draw a line back through the rifle barrel and see how that aligns with the shooter's eye and how the stock must fit the shooter's shoulder, it should be obvious...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems likely to me the shooter was just a gun nut who wanted to see just how many people he could kill using all his lethal toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.