News Article: A good read about Mal Moore's relationship to ND

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
NIce read. I think Mal interviewed for OC at both Oklahoma and Notre Dame back at that time during the Perkins transition if I'm not mistaken, with ND and Gerry Faust eventually making him an offer.

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I am so glad Coach Moore did this interview and it was published. I have heard Mal speak about his experiences at Notre Dame many times.....and have even posted a few of those comments on these boards for the Notre Dame haters to read. ND had & has a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Bryant & Alabama and has never hesitated to demonstrate it. ND can't help the fact that they have a national appeal and often get preferential treatment by the press. That isn't their doing. The truth is we get the same treatment in many cases here at Bama. I think the most pathetic thing about the barners is that they show their petty jealousy and envy for their cross state rivals because clearly we are their superiors. We shouldn't be doing the same thing towards ND because the Alabama tradition is second to no one. Fans shouldn't act that way by attacking anyone else's tradition. We should be above that. Just my two cents.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I often wondered why Perkins, who was a player at Alabama when CMM was on CPB's staff, did not retain Moore. I can only surmise Perkins wanted his staff in entirety and didn't want any holdover to the Bryant era, also a complete change in the team's offensive philosophy from wishbone to pro set my have been a factor.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I often wondered why Perkins, who was a player at Alabama when CMM was on CPB's staff, did not retain Moore. I can only surmise Perkins wanted his staff in entirety and didn't want any holdover to the Bryant era, also a complete change in the team's offensive philosophy from wishbone to pro set my have been a factor.
That's always been a sore spot with me, Gray--Not that Perkins got rid of all of them, but the WAY he did it, by basically unceremoniously giving them all their walking papers right as he walked in the door. From what I understand, he didn't even consider or interview any of them for positions on his staff and Coach Bryant himself spent many of his last days working the phones trying to help them find other jobs. Then Perk took down Coach Bryant's tower--yet another thing which didn't exactly 'endear' him to most of us Bama fans.

The little nugget about him considering getting out of coaching altogether at the time was very interesting.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed that article. I have such a huge appreciation for Coach Moore.....we're gonna miss him when he decides to hang it up.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed that article. I have such a huge appreciation for Coach Moore.....we're gonna miss him when he decides to hang it up.
Coach Moore sure has caught a lot of flack through the years but he has gained much wisdom and applied it over the years and has made a major contribution to the Crimson Tide. Being at Bama and ND have contributed to that wisdom. He is a true asset to the University of Alabama. What Alabama has accomplished over the past few years is not possible without his leadership.

I know there can't be very many years left for him to stay in that role as Athletic Director and hope that we find someone who is as loyal to the Alabama Crimson Tide as Coach Moore has been. Coach Moore has MORE NC rings than any human alive or deceased.

Thanks Coach Moore!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I am so glad Coach Moore did this interview and it was published. I have heard Mal speak about his experiences at Notre Dame many times.....and have even posted a few of those comments on these boards for the Notre Dame haters to read. ND had & has a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Bryant & Alabama and has never hesitated to demonstrate it. ND can't help the fact that they have a national appeal and often get preferential treatment by the press. That isn't their doing. The truth is we get the same treatment in many cases here at Bama. I think the most pathetic thing about the barners is that they show their petty jealousy and envy for their cross state rivals because clearly we are their superiors. We shouldn't be doing the same thing towards ND because the Alabama tradition is second to no one. Fans shouldn't act that way by attacking anyone else's tradition. We should be above that. Just my two cents.
I guess my dislike is only because of 1966! Now in all those defeats to ND, they just beat Bama! That pass from Clements from the end zone is very vivid in my memory. All Bama needed to do was stop them on third down, make them punt and take the football to the house on the punt return or at the least to be in field goal range to defeat the Irish. There were some close victories, but a win is a win. I'm sure Ara showed class just like Coach Bryant, but 1966 bothers me. But that's not ND's fault. That was the fault of sports writers around the country. To quote some famous philosopher, "A tie is like kissing your sister".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.