The beginning of the end of kickoffs.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't understand how this new fair catch rule is going to fix anything. You're not really eliminating most of the danger from kickoffs. The only player you protect here is the return man.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I do tend to agree with kicking it from the 40 yard line if they're going to do this fair catch rule too because it clearly makes the default decision for the returner to be kneel in endzone or fair catch. You just can't expect to get a return on when the coverage team is five yards closer than they are now...which is already close enough for Alabama to employ the "just short of endzone" kick and coverage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do tend to agree with kicking it from the 40 yard line if they're going to do this fair catch rule too because it clearly makes the default decision for the returner to be kneel in endzone or fair catch. You just can't expect to get a return on when the coverage team is five yards closer than they are now...which is already close enough for Alabama to employ the "just short of endzone" kick and coverage.
Just keep in mind that this would result in more kickoffs intentionally kicked high and short. It is to the kicking team's advantage as it makes it easier to cover a kickoff and bring down the runner short of the 20.

The reality - the only way to avoid kickoff injuries is to eliminate kickoffs. I hate it, but there it is.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The reality - the only way to avoid kickoff injuries is to eliminate kickoffs. I hate it, but there it is.
Like I said - I'm all for eliminating unnecessary injuries, but how many people get injured on kickoffs? I'm sure it happens, but I can't recall the last time I saw someone injured on a KO. Maybe addressing a problem that isn't?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't really know why we have kickoffs still. It seems silly to play this game of "we want to keep kickoffs but also eliminate them as much as possible." Just make up your mind.

I personally won't miss kickoffs when they are eventually gone. They are normally the most boring part of a game. Sure there are exceptions but those are relatively rare especially in the NFL where kickers legs are stronger.

I would be interested to see the data on kickoff injuries though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Like I said - I'm all for eliminating unnecessary injuries, but how many people get injured on kickoffs? I'm sure it happens, but I can't recall the last time I saw someone injured on a KO. Maybe addressing a problem that isn't?
I don't trust league data, but they claim that kickoff injuries are the most severe injuries. So maybe it isn't the number of kickoff injuries but the type?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't trust league data, but they claim that kickoff injuries are the most severe injuries. So maybe it isn't the number of kickoff injuries but the type?
Could be.

Just seems sad to remove something that can be game-changing because of injuries that seem to never happen.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Schiano suggested the scoring team, rather than attempt an onside kick, take over the ball on its 30 on a fourth-and-15 play. The team can either go for it -- trying to retain the ball -- or punt. Statistics show that injuries on punts aren't as bad for as frequent as on kickoffs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ffs-are-on-their-way-out-of-college-football/

Since punts are much safer than kickoffs why not punt instead of kicking off. Punt from your own 40, or from the 50. That way a return or a fumble is still possible.

Also (hint, hint) the NCAA could reverse some of its decisions favoring the O. and cut down on kickoffs by cutting down on the 45-40 and 55-60 scoring matches. I miss the days when a 21 point lead really meant something. LESS scoring equals LESS KOs.
Under Schiano's proposal, instead of 50-48 "shootouts" in leagues like the Big-12, instead you'd see 84-17 blowouts, where one team keeps possession of the ball almost continuously throughout the entire game.

It isn't kickoffs per se that are inherently dangerous (they don't have this discussion in rugby, for instance), but rather the tackling on kickoffs. I'll admit I don't know how to solve it, but modifying the definition of a legal tackle in order to retain the kickoff would be better than these Schiano-esque proposals to eliminate kickoffs altogether.
The REALITY is there are probably a dozen reasonable and rational methods that could reduce the number of injuries on KO's, WITHOUT removing the KO from the game. As Redwood suggests - the scoring team could Punt from the 30 (or even the 35 or 40, for that matter). We could KO from the 40 as Saban has suggested. And there are doubtless other changes that could help.

Rugby is a great example, and in fact - it's probably the PERFECT example. Football in America evolved from Rugby, after all. Rugby is a very rough sport, and it's widely played around the world - yet we don't see the same kinds on horrific brain injuries in Rugby.
Why not?
Well, one reason is the style of tackling. We all love the "Highlight reel" knockout type tackles, and take downs like the eye-popping "tackle" by Mekhi Brown in the NC game - but that's the kind of junk that gets people hurt. The NCAA should get serious about players leading with their heads on ANY Play.

And that leads to the second point - why do we see these concussion problems in football but not in Rugby? In a Nutshell - Helmets.

Disgraced former PSU coach, Joe Paterno, for all his failings, was right about this. He said decades ago, that if you wanted to end concussions in football, take the face-masks OFF the helmets. If you think about it, that one change would virtually end the spearing style of tackling that's responsible for most of these injuries. The first time a defender broke his nose leading with his head, he'd learn to use a "Form Tackle" instead. And "IMO" that alone would solve 80% of the problem.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
It will more likely be concussion after effects which end football...
It is interesting to watch Football helmet technology evolve. And yet...the helmet designs still cannot solve that issue as of yet. So yeah....I think the pressure will continue as well. We will continue to see players ejected for playing Defense, but we will most likely continue to see what most would agree are useless rule manipulation until it just doesn't seem like football anymore. But I GET that we need to protect these boys from brain damage. I try to keep that in mind too.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The length of games has become an issue in recent years. Eliminating kickoffs completely would seem to save a lot of time over the course of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Could be.

Just seems sad to remove something that can be game-changing because of injuries that seem to never happen.
I agree with you but they may be talking about injuries to the brain we don't see. Reuben'***** on Fournette is a prime example of what happens when two speeding bullets hit each other and the effects down the road with CTE that come later.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree with you but they may be talking about injuries to the brain we don't see. Reuben'***** on Fournette is a prime example of what happens when two speeding bullets hit each other and the effects down the road with CTE that come later.
But studies have shown (and continue to show) that it's not the massive hits that do the most damage, it's the repetitive smaller hits (such as a DL / LB colliding with an OL on every snap).

Again, I'm all for player safety, but if they are trying to address CTE kickoffs are one of the last places to look...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The length of games has become an issue in recent years. Eliminating kickoffs completely would seem to save a lot of time over the course of a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but the length of games is more a product of commercials than actual playing time...

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Yes, but the length of games is more a product of commercials than actual playing time...
There's little doubt that the networks will see elimination of kick-offs as an opportunity to insert advertising. It will probably lengthen the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.