News Article: Businesses paying for college education

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Norfolk Southern has for a while, although you're an indentured servant for a bit. You also have to pick something applicable in the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Not a bad idea - after all, who benefits the most from this?

https://apple.news/A1C_kd51wRmiXgrf5CiHiMQ

Most places I have worked (in I.T. industry) have provided employee-assistance for education. But like someone else posted, it had to be specific to the industry. I.e., I couldn't go to law school on the company dime, etc.

That being said, I avoided more education like the plague - since maybe an MBA would have been the only graduate program they would accept. Then again, I never had any desire to be in management....so I saved many hours of useless study. :)

Where companies fail is in training in specific courses that would make you more marketable. Especially in I.T., where they will hire from the outside for specific skills, rather than train their existing employees in the same skills. I guess the company's logic is that you will leave for a better job if you get trained in those skills. But it's a 2-way street: I have no loyalty to a company that isn't interested in investing in my future with them(and don't get me started on companies that expect you to go over and beyond, work more than 40 hours a week, but don't provide better compensation, profit-sharing, bonuses to reward that effort).

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Most places I have worked (in I.T. industry) have provided employee-assistance for education. But like someone else posted, it had to be specific to the industry. I.e., I couldn't go to law school on the company dime, etc.

That being said, I avoided more education like the plague - since maybe an MBA would have been the only graduate program they would accept. Then again, I never had any desire to be in management....so I saved many hours of useless study. :)

Where companies fail is in training in specific courses that would make you more marketable. Especially in I.T., where they will hire from the outside for specific skills, rather than train their existing employees in the same skills. I guess the company's logic is that you will leave for a better job if you get trained in those skills. But it's a 2-way street: I have no loyalty to a company that isn't interested in investing in my future with them.
IT company I worked for provided “assistance “, but it was minimal and with strings; don’t mind the strings, just pay for it all.
I see no problem with a company offering a HS grad a full ride for x years of employment (3-5 sounds reasonable, depending on the industry) with a reasonable salary. If it’s a good company and grad is happy after contract ends, proper incentives will keep him/her. People usually leave for better jobs - either compensation or working conditions. Make those non starters for an employee with 5 years experience and they probably won’t leave.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
IT company I worked for provided “assistance “, but it was minimal and with strings; don’t mind the strings, just pay for it all.
I see no problem with a company offering a HS grad a full ride for x years of employment (3-5 sounds reasonable, depending on the industry) with a reasonable salary. If it’s a good company and grad is happy after contract ends, proper incentives will keep him/her. People usually leave for better jobs - either compensation or working conditions. Make those non starters for an employee with 5 years experience and they probably won’t leave.

Yep. I was at Merck for over 11 years, and would probably still be there had Merck not gone hogwild on downsizing/outsourcing their I.T. staff globally. I had survived numerous waves, but finally got caught in the numbers game. But not before taking a good pension with me, and 8 mos severance with full med/dental. They had Cadillac perks: good bonuses, plentiful PTOs, excellent medical and dental. And hardly any turnover. Go figure!

Companies that treat their employees well have excellent retention. My current company pays its CEO 10 mil a year, 2 mil of which is in bonuses. The regular employees get zilch save for their regular salary. Consequently, we have a lot of turnover. The only reason I stay is that I'm close to retirement, and they have good work-from-home options.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yep. I was at Merck for over 11 years, and would probably still be there had Merck not gone hogwild on downsizing/outsourcing their I.T. staff globally. I had survived numerous waves, but finally got caught in the numbers game. But not before taking a good pension with me, and 8 mos severance with full med/dental. They had Cadillac perks: good bonuses, plentiful PTOs, excellent medical and dental. And hardly any turnover. Go figure!
Shell was the same way. They started offshoring IT & Accounting jobs to service centers in Malaysia, India & the Philippines. Mine eventually went to India in 2008.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Shell was the same way. They started offshoring IT & Accounting jobs to service centers in Malaysia, India & the Philippines. Mine eventually went to India in 2008.
My job was consolidated with another position across town. The other guy was laid off and rehired as a contractor. He lost all his PTOs, and took a 25% pay cut.

My current job is a lot harder to off-shore in that I need to be in close contact with the business. I have found that our Asian off-shore analysts just don't have enough business sense. They don't really understand how our businesses work.

They are very good at the technical side of things, but their sense of urgency isn't there when it comes to major hiccups and outages. Hell, we have a main piece of our software that only two of them can support, and, guess what? When it's a holiday over there, they both take the days off.......and we have no support after about 10 in the morning here because it's late at night in India.

That would never happen here in the States.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Most architecture firms will not pay for school. We architects, (the younger ones), tend to jump ship a lot. Unless you own the firm, we tend to bounce around a lot. Now some firms will pay for the ARE (Architects Registration Exam). They will reimburse you, but you have to stay with the firm X number of years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.