News Article: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout loss

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
As much as I think he need continuity on the coaching staff, I would not be totally surprised to see another year like the last where there are a pretty high number of changes in our assistants. I say this without any knowledge one way or the other about what Coach Saban thinks or does. Just a gut feeling that the performance of some of our coaches was not up to his usual high standard. I hate to say it, but I think both Lupoi and Golding might be better suited elsewhere. And I really wanted to like them both, especially Golding.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
i wasn't about to say it on the predictions thread and get run out of town as an "Eeyore" but i thought we were going to lose, but not like that.

i expected a close, heart-breaker like 2016...not getting beat like a rented mule.

monday night was an unthinkable disaster all the way around.

Clemson has earned the right to chest thump and claim to be the baddest bully around.

it's up to us to try and take that mantle back...and the window is probably closing fairly fast.
I predicted a very close win (32-31) in that thread based on numbers I run in my spreadsheet. But my model actually showed Clemson winning by several of the methods I use to make my prediction. I normally just go with the average of all of the models to make my guess, but in this case, I had to pick and choose which ones to use because using them all would have had me picking Clemson. I deleted any method that gave Clemson as the winner and only used the others. No way I would post in a prediction thread that Alabama would lose, but I would also never advise a friend to bet on a game where the model gave those results. No model, of course, could have possibly predicted just how lopsided the score would be, though.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not sure If I should post this considering that it is classified a rumor.... I see some chatters that there could be some changes coming on the staff.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I predicted a very close win (32-31) in that thread based on numbers I run in my spreadsheet. But my model actually showed Clemson winning by several of the methods I use to make my prediction. I normally just go with the average of all of the models to make my guess, but in this case, I had to pick and choose which ones to use because using them all would have had me picking Clemson. I deleted any method that gave Clemson as the winner and only used the others. No way I would post in a prediction thread that Alabama would lose, but I would also never advise a friend to bet on a game where the model gave those results. No model, of course, could have possibly predicted just how lopsided the score would be, though.
i won't speak for him, but after reading Jess' preview I got the feeling he also saw a loss coming but just couldn't put that in writing.

it is what it is.

hats off to Clemson...and back to the rock pile for Bama.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
So again, we're gonna be replacing oc and dc (prob)...along with oline coach? Is it any wonder we can't put together back to back championships?

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I think what the past 4 years have shown is that it is a lot easier to motivate a group of young men from a point of failure than from a point of success. After losing 1st game to Bama, Clemson became obsessed to come back & beat them. Bama was playing to just do what they did the year before - not the same thing. The following year the rolls were reversed and Bama pounded Clemson. Even though the score did not reflect it, that game was no closer than this year's game in terms of Clemson ever being in it. If Bama doesn't fumble and give them a free FG to start 2nd half and if Hurts doesn't miss an easy TD, Bama wins 31-3. Bama players were hell bent on avenging the previous year's loss. This year, Clemson had that approach all season. They had NFL players turn down big $$ to come back and beat Bama. The really did just want it more this year IMO.

Next year Clemson loses its entire starting defensive line plus its top DL sub, its best LB, its best 2 offensive linemen, its starting TE, its FG kicker, and Hunter Renfrow. They have some great offensive talent and an equally easy schedule so they have a good shot at being back in cfp, but it will not be the same team as this year and it will likely not have the same fire in its belly.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
i won't speak for him, but after reading Jess' preview I got the feeling he also saw a loss coming but just couldn't put that in writing.

it is what it is.

hats off to Clemson...and back to the rock pile for Bama.
Back before CNS, he picked against Bama plenty of times based on his method of evaluation. He gave us the QB and special teams IIRC and both of them went to Clemson in this game. He was wrong on some of it and that's the nature of predicting the future.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
i wasn't about to say it on the predictions thread and get run out of town as an "Eeyore" but i thought we were going to lose, but not like that.

i expected a close, heart-breaker like 2016...not getting beat like a rented mule.

monday night was an unthinkable disaster all the way around.

Clemson has earned the right to chest thump and claim to be the baddest bully around.

it's up to us to try and take that mantle back...and the window is probably closing fairly fast.
That is why I stay out of game threads and game prediction threads. It shouldn't be that way, any long standing member who posts respectfully that he or she believes Alabama will not win should be able to post that without knowing he/she will be mocked or called an Eyesore. I respect every poster's opinion whether I like it or not. BTW I thought Alabama was going to lose to Clemson, but not get curb stomped.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think what the past 4 years have shown is that it is a lot easier to motivate a group of young men from a point of failure than from a point of success. After losing 1st game to Bama, Clemson became obsessed to come back & beat them. Bama was playing to just do what they did the year before - not the same thing. The following year the rolls were reversed and Bama pounded Clemson. Even though the score did not reflect it, that game was no closer than this year's game in terms of Clemson ever being in it. If Bama doesn't fumble and give them a free FG to start 2nd half and if Hurts doesn't miss an easy TD, Bama wins 31-3. Bama players were hell bent on avenging the previous year's loss. This year, Clemson had that approach all season. They had NFL players turn down big $$ to come back and beat Bama. The really did just want it more this year IMO.

Next year Clemson loses its entire starting defensive line plus its top DL sub, its best LB, its best 2 offensive linemen, its starting TE, its FG kicker, and Hunter Renfrow. They have some great offensive talent and an equally easy schedule so they have a good shot at being back in cfp, but it will not be the same team as this year and it will likely not have the same fire in its belly.
So what you're saying is until Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney retires, we are just going to alternate titles each year? I can live with that.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
So what you're saying is until Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney retires, we are just going to alternate titles each year? I can live with that.
Could be - Vegas odds already have them back in the title game next year.

And to update clemson starters they lose, two Juniors (CB and LB) just declared, so they lose 7 defensive starters and their top DL sub off of this defense.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That is why I stay out of game threads and game prediction threads. It shouldn't be that way, any long standing member who posts respectfully that he or she believes Alabama will not win should be able to post that without knowing he/she will be mocked or called an Eyesore. I respect every poster's opinion whether I like it or not. BTW I thought Alabama was going to lose to Clemson, but not get curb stomped.

I don't recall anyone being called an eeyore for predicting a loss.. ever. eeyore is a term 92tide came up for the negative nancies. The term is describing an over the top downer not someone who gives a critical opinion.

critical opinion:
Yes, Clemson spanked us last night -- clear and simple they were way better. We knew their D was awesome but I did not realize how good Ross was. The whole Clemson team was "ON" last night and I congratulate them for the win. Doesn't mean I like it, but they were far better than the Tide on the night.
eeyore opinion

I didn’t feel bad at all after 2016. I wasn’t happy, but a great team and a great player beat us. That happens. It wasn’t dirty, they just made plays.

This one has bothered me more than any game I can remember. At least after the kick 6 you figured it was a fluke.

I’m legit worried to face Clemson again. This wasn’t of those “We’ll get ‘em next time” games. This was a paradigm shifting game.
You see the difference? They are saying the same point, but one is going way overboard with his critical opinion.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

It's worked out that way with Bama-Clemson but let's look at the rivalry of Ohio State-Michigan where OSU has won 14 out of 15. Michigan has a rich football history and they are not some second-tier school with second-tier talent. They have plenty reason for revenge but still can't win. I'm not saying the revenge factor is not a motivation but it shows that if you can beat a team a few times in a row you get them believing they'll never win. What really hurt us against Clemson was their first win against us two years ago because that got them believing. Had we won that game and came into this championship 3-0 against them they may have just rolled over by thinking they'll never beat us.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
It's worked out that way with Bama-Clemson but let's look at the rivalry of Ohio State-Michigan where OSU has won 14 out of 15. Michigan has a rich football history and they are not some second-tier school with second-tier talent. They have plenty reason for revenge but still can't win. I'm not saying the revenge factor is not a motivation but it shows that if you can beat a team a few times in a row you get them believing they'll never win. What really hurt us against Clemson was their first win against us two years ago because that got them believing. Had we won that game and came into this championship 3-0 against them they may have just rolled over by thinking they'll never beat us.
A rivalry game during season is not the same as a championship. Obsessing over a single regular season game can even be counter-productive. A championship is a unified team goal. Kids don't typically turn down nfl $$ and come back for sr season and dedicate themselves to going the extra mile just to beat a rival, they do that to win championships.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
You should be able to call them like you see them. If you say Bama will lose, you could be labeled an “eeyore” but only if they win.
If you think they will lose and you post sound reasons for your belief, people can disagree with your post but if they criticize it and you’re right, you should be given credit for getting it right, at least from your critics.
I didn’t think Saban would get out coached, so I didn’t think Bama would lose. He did and they did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aldo

BamaNation Citizen
May 8, 2010
I doubt I'll ever rewatch this game so my memory will probably always be a little fuzzy when it comes to specifics but there seemed to be about as many "What in the world?" calls in this game as the rest of Saban's career here combined.
i deleted my recording before the game was over!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Love ya Gray!

I reserve the right to call you an eeyore anytime ;)

Like any family - it's all in good fun. Trust me I've gotten my share of grief from the NS "Trolls" -- it should be part of the fun. If it gets to be too much -- I avoid it until I'm over it.....

If it strikes a nerve -- we should stop.....but know that (at least to me) your place is etched on Tidefans.com -- as our resident "Oscar the Grouch" -- and that's okay!

Sesame Street is a fun place to live, right?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
you could also use our last five games vs uga as an example.

just saying, in case you need another example ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.