What the 2019 Defense Returns (As of 10:30 on 1/11)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some can change their mind before the Monday deadline, but this is what the 2019 defense has coming back (guys that started in 2018 are in bold):

DL Raekwon Davis
DL LaBryan Ray
DL Phidarian Mathis

OLB Anfernee Jennings
OLB Terrell Lewis
OLB Christopher Allen

ILB Mack Wilson
ILB Dylan Moses

CB Trevon Diggs
CB Pat Surtain, II

DB Shy Carter
DB Jared Mayden

S Deionte Thompson
S Xavier McKinney

The experience coming back for the 2019 season is going to be great. Returning five starters in the secondary will be huge.

CincinnatiAlum

2nd Team
Aug 9, 2004
RTR These boys better come back hungry!!! NEVER AGAIN!
Plus I really want to see Eyobi Anoma get some serious time!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Mathis is going to be great - can't wait to see him get more snaps. I am still very worried about the ILB play.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Looks like we should be better everywhere except possibly DL, assuming ILB and S positions improve with the experience they gained. I really hope Lewis can stay healthy next year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Looks like we should be better everywhere except possibly DL, assuming ILB and S positions improve with the experience they gained. I really hope Lewis can stay healthy next year.
Q was special - no one is going to duplicate that next year. But you don't need that kind of play from the DT position in your defense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We're gonna be a different defensive unit next year. This season's strategy and performance was the confluence of inexperienced staff with inexperienced players in the back seven. I think we got a bit snake bitten with the blitz and got away from disguise and complexity in favor of trying to mitigate being out of position. The straight up losing guys in space got to be less of a problem as the season wore on but you could tell that the better teams were well equipped to move on us in the air because the plan was pretty basic...you just need a little bit of protection to wiggle the guys open.

Next year, I expect a unit more like 2016 and 2017 where we get more complex with what we do up front because the secondary ought to be well situated.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we don't get better inside LB play we're still leaving a giant hole in the middle of the field. Dylan's physical gifts far exceeded his performance. And for the life of me, I still don't know if Mac has a clue.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think that Mathis is going to be great - can't wait to see him get more snaps. I am still very worried about the ILB play.
Maybe we need to simplify the defense some considering we almost always have a big talent advantage over the other team. Just seems like the ILB are processing plays very slow or guessing which means they either don't know their assignments or they're thinking to much instead of just taking a simplified approach. I know this isn't Saban's style but sometimes you have to cater to the talent you have and we just don't have a ILB that's cerebral like Rolando, Mosley, Hightower, Ragland etc..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe we need to simplify the defense some considering we almost always have a big talent advantage over the other team. Just seems like the ILB are processing plays very slow or guessing which means they either don't know their assignments or they're thinking to much instead of just taking a simplified approach. I know this isn't Saban's style but sometimes you have to cater to the talent you have and we just don't have a ILB that's cerebral like Rolando, Mosley, Hightower, Ragland etc..
I would bench Mack before I take this step.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
If we don't get better inside LB play we're still leaving a giant hole in the middle of the field. Dylan's physical gifts far exceeded his performance. And for the life of me, I still don't know if Mac has a clue.
I put that squarely on the coaching. Mac's problem has not been a lack of talent. Heck he was better last year. We need someone to teach that position again. I expect him to be lights out next year. He would have gone not latter than the second round off potential alone if he had come out this year. They were discussing him as possibly the first or second linebacker taken because of his coverage ability. The things he didn't do well are easily fixed. His coverage skills can't be taught, you either have the athletic ability of you don't.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I would bench Mack before I take this step.
or at the very least, move the playcalling duties to Moses. We did that with Hightower, started the season calling plays from MIKE but he was tentative, so we moved Nico over to MIKE and he handled that role, and just let Donta play. Much more productive after that

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Perhaps he was better last year simply because he was surrounded by better players such as SDH and Evans. Physically, few can match up with Dylan and Mack, but how many times did they show up in the backfield? Play after play they seemed to dawdle by the line and let the action come to them. What they have in natural ability they seem to lack in instincts.

I put that squarely on the coaching. Mac's problem has not been a lack of talent. Heck he was better last year. We need someone to teach that position again. I expect him to be lights out next year. He would have gone not latter than the second round off potential alone if he had come out this year. They were discussing him as possibly the first or second linebacker taken because of his coverage ability. The things he didn't do well are easily fixed. His coverage skills can't be taught, you either have the athletic ability of you don't.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We're gonna be a different defensive unit next year. This season's strategy and performance was the confluence of inexperienced staff with inexperienced players in the back seven. I think we got a bit snake bitten with the blitz and got away from disguise and complexity in favor of trying to mitigate being out of position. The straight up losing guys in space got to be less of a problem as the season wore on but you could tell that the better teams were well equipped to move on us in the air because the plan was pretty basic...you just need a little bit of protection to wiggle the guys open.

Next year, I expect a unit more like 2016 and 2017 where we get more complex with what we do up front because the secondary ought to be well situated.
Hope so... Now we need a great coach to call Defense and Offense...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.