Game Thread: Alabama vs Southern

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
All in all a solid opener. Didn’t look dominant, but the team definitely showed promise. Couple of things stood out to me:

I was most impressed by Petty’s shooting. We knew he could stroke it, but he was so streaky last year. Tonight he showed better shot selection, and he seemed to be far more confident in his game. That could change as we get into stiffer competition, but there’s a lot to like about his performance. We’re going to need him to be a consistent scoring threat if we hope to be competitive in the SEC.

Hall was arguably the most improved player in the SEC last year. This year it looks like he grew even more. His finesse continues to develop, and he’s still a bully down in the paint. I know Gafford at Arkansas is the creme de la creme of the SEC, but I think I’d take Hall over just about anyone else down low.

Lastly, the new comers look promising. Lewis isn’t Sexton, but the talent is there. There’s nothing he can’t do, it’s just a matter of how far he can develop. Mack has talent, seemed to press a bit at times, but I think he adds multiple dimensions when he’s on the floor. Hopefully both of them continue to elevate their games throughout the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The ~10' jumper that Hall hit early on was great to see. If he can hit that with any consistency it will be huge for us and his possible NBA future.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
All in all a solid opener. Didn’t look dominant, but the team definitely showed promise. Couple of things stood out to me:

I was most impressed by Petty’s shooting. We knew he could stroke it, but he was so streaky last year. Tonight he showed better shot selection, and he seemed to be far more confident in his game. That could change as we get into stiffer competition, but there’s a lot to like about his performance. We’re going to need him to be a consistent scoring threat if we hope to be competitive in the SEC.

Hall was arguably the most improved player in the SEC last year. This year it looks like he grew even more. His finesse continues to develop, and he’s still a bully down in the paint. I know Gafford at Arkansas is the creme de la creme of the SEC, but I think I’d take Hall over just about anyone else down low.

Lastly, the new comers look promising. Lewis isn’t Sexton, but the talent is there. There’s nothing he can’t do, it’s just a matter of how far he can develop. Mack has talent, seemed to press a bit at times, but I think he adds multiple dimensions when he’s on the floor. Hopefully both of them continue to elevate their games throughout the season.

We have more talent this year and can seem to shoot better. If we can shoot like we did tonight with Reese, Petty, and Mack knocking down a few 3's. We should be able to force our opponents to defend both the paint and 3 point line which we haven't been able to do in the past. I still think we should be an inside out team. Our success may ultimately hinge on our ability to feed our bigs down low. Smith is simply a load, and Hall is really good when he wants to be. Mack can contribute both down low and from the outside as can Reese. If we can limit our turnovers we have the makings of a pretty good team.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Giddens still collects fouls quickly

I still don't understand that from him unfortunately ... a lot of the fouls he got were from not blocking out/poor position. It can be fixed but he has to play with better discipline IMO

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
How's Kira's jumper?

Think it was Cecil Hurts who compared/contrasted him to Sexton and said Sexton's game was from the rim out to the three and Kira's game is from the 3 pt. line in to the rim. I'm hoping this signals he's got a good 3 point shooting stroke.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Quick summary: I'm not quite sure of how good we will be, but I think this is a 15-20 wins team. we just need to get Petty confidence to shoot well on the road, and Everyone needs to trust each other with the ball movement. We'll know a lot about this team By next month.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
How's Kira's jumper?

Think it was Cecil Hurts who compared/contrasted him to Sexton and said Sexton's game was from the rim out to the three and Kira's game is from the 3 pt. line in to the rim. I'm hoping this signals he's got a good 3 point shooting stroke.
He is real good at shooting the ball, but he likes to get team involved... I wouldn't be shocked to see him erupt for 30 points sometime this season.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
How's Kira's jumper?

CAJ said that in the post game press conference. I believe that is what he was saying, that Kira has a very smooth stroke and every shot he takes looks like it is going in the basket.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Watched the end of 1st half and entire 2nd half. If Hall and Petty can be consistent scorers, we can have a very good season. It'll be a tough night when those two are off.

PhiSlammaBama

Suspended
Nov 6, 2018
Cullman
Watched the end of 1st half and entire 2nd half. If Hall and Petty can be consistent scorers, we can have a very good season. It'll be a tough night when those two are off.
They will get better as the season progresses. We have to stay healthy, or if someone gets injured it needs to happen yesterday so they get back before conference schedule gets deep.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.