University of Hawaii's 350 lb Running Back - Legit (not a joke)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I bet ya a bucket of chicken that we offer him. No he won't be a running back but Saban will love someone that athletic at that size.
With his quickness he could be a killer Nose tackle. As far as his speed all I know is all those little guys were chasing an not catching him.
I was impressed at his overall athleticism, and yes I'd like him as a goal line runner, blocker or both.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I bet ya a bucket of chicken that we offer him. No he won't be a running back but Saban will love someone that athletic at that size.
With his quickness he could be a killer Nose tackle. As far as his speed all I know is all those little guys were chasing an not catching him.
I was impressed at his overall athleticism, and yes I'd like him as a goal line runner, blocker or both.
I could deffinately see us offering as a NT. however we dont have much luck out in that part of the country with recruiting.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
KFC or Bojangles?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I was somewhat impressed by this ability, but those opposing defenses were quite pathetic. But as a fellow fat guy, I love that he is playing RB. He living the fat guy dream. Eat what you want and still get to tote the ball and score touchdowns.

Seriously, he appears to have quick feet and good strength which would make him great for either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. He would also make a good OL too. Pass rushers would have a difficult time with his quickness and strength.

UrsusMagnus

Jan 25, 2013
Force equals mass times velocity squared. Better to be fast than big.
Pretty good analogy! But actually force = mass times acceleration (like the kinetic energy an instant after T.J. or Jalston takes the hand-off.) Momentum = mass times velocity (one of our ball carriers traveling down the field at top speed.) Either way that Somoan is going to be difficult to bring down (best to hit him in the backfield before he gets in forward motion!)

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Force equals mass times velocity squared. Better to be fast than big.
Pretty good analogy! But actually force = mass times acceleration (like the kinetic energy an instant after T.J. or Jalston takes the hand-off.) Momentum = mass times velocity (one of our ball carriers traveling down the field at top speed.) Either way that Somoan is going to be difficult to bring down (best to hit him in the backfield before he gets in forward motion!)
OK, I'll take the geek-bait.

As Ursus pointed out, Force = Mass times Acceleration, which is a function of the change in velocity over time - irrelevant in this case. We don't care how Tank's velocity changes over time - we simply care how much kinetic energy he's carrying when we hit him (or when he hits us, as the case may be - an equal amount of kinetic energy would be required to stop him).

Kinetic energy is defined in terms of Joules and is a function of his mass in kg (known) and his velocity in m/s (speculated). The formula is Ek=1/2mv^2. That is: Kinetic Energy = 1/2 the object's mass times it's velocity squared.

Did some rough excel calculations, and at 350lbs (158.7572kg) and a claimed 4.9 40 (7.464126 m/s) this guy is carrying 4422.43345 joules of kinetic energy. To put that into perspective, a 220-230lb RB (comparable to MI, TR and EL) would have to run about a 3.9 40 to equal the energy, which as we all know, is faster than anyone has ever run in the history of the human race. Even if our behemoth here is running a much slower 6.0 40, as some have speculated, he's still producing 2949.51742 joules of kinetic energy, equivalent to MI, TR and EL running about a 4.8 40. For what it's worth, they all run a 40 in the 4.45-4.55 range, producing 3300 to 3600 joules of kinetic energy. Truth is, roly poly here is probably running somewhere between the two extremes in the 5.2 - 5.5 range or there abouts and surpassing MI, TR and EL with 3500-3900 joules of kinetic energy. But his slower speed makes him easier for college level athletes to catch even if he is very difficult to stop.

Great
short yardage option at fullback. But if he's got good hands and feet, probably still better suited for fulltime DT work unless he's signed by a team that runs an I and features a fulltime fullback. That team, of course, isn't Hawaii.

Edit: A 260lb linebacker would have to be bringing around 4.6 speed to not get run over. Nico's measurables? 260lbs, 4.62.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
OK, I'll take the geek-bait.

As Ursus pointed out, Force = Mass times Acceleration, which is a function of the change in velocity over time - irrelevant in this case. We don't care how Tank's velocity changes over time - we simply care how much kinetic energy he's carrying when we hit him (or when he hits us, as the case may be - an equal amount of kinetic energy would be required to stop him).

Kinetic energy is defined in terms of Joules and is a function of his mass in kg (known) and his velocity in m/s (speculated). The formula is Ek=1/2mv^2. That is: Kinetic Energy = 1/2 the object's mass times it's velocity squared.

Did some rough excel calculations, and at 350lbs (158.7572kg) and a claimed 4.9 40 (7.464126 m/s) this guy is carrying 4422.43345 joules of kinetic energy. To put that into perspective, a 220-230lb RB (comparable to MI, TR and EL) would have to run about a 3.9 40 to equal the energy, which as we all know, is faster than anyone has ever run in the history of the human race. Even if our behemoth here is running a much slower 6.0 40, as some have speculated, he's still producing 2949.51742 joules of kinetic energy, equivalent to MI, TR and EL running about a 4.8 40. For what it's worth, they all run a 40 in the 4.45-4.55 range, producing 3300 to 3600 joules of kinetic energy. Truth is, roly poly here is probably running somewhere between the two extremes in the 5.2 - 5.5 range or there abouts and surpassing MI, TR and EL with 3500-3900 joules of kinetic energy. But his slower speed makes him easier for college level athletes to catch even if he is very difficult to stop.

Great
short yardage option at fullback. But if he's got good hands and feet, probably still better suited for fulltime DT work unless he's signed by a team that runs an I and features a fulltime fullback. That team, of course, isn't Hawaii.

Edit: A 260lb linebacker would have to be bringing around 4.6 speed to not get run over. Nico's measurables? 260lbs, 4.62.
Disagree with your argument, and all arguments based solely on sceince. You have to take into consideration his ability to stabilize himself once he is hit by an opposing player. Maybe one of Newton's laws would come into play here. Otherwise , Wolfolk or Ngata would be the greatest RB's in history.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Disagree with your argument, and all arguments based solely on sceince. You have to take into consideration his ability to stabilize himself once he is hit by an opposing player. Maybe one of Newton's laws would come into play here. Otherwise , Wolfolk or Ngata would be the greatest RB's in history.
I'm not sure what arguement you're disagreeing with, since I wasn't making one. I don't disagree with your statement that skills and factors other than size and speed are important to a running back. The discussion however solely pertained to the amount of "force" this kid's size and speed produce. Sorry, but physics is relevant to that discussion.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
When Dennis Franchione was at Alabama he brought back the junior varsity squad. He had Bart Raulston at RB in game against Georgia Military. Raulston weighed near 400 pounds.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I'm not sure what arguement you're disagreeing with, since I wasn't making one. I don't disagree with your statement that skills and factors other than size and speed are important to a running back. The discussion however solely pertained to the amount of "force" this kid's size and speed produce. Sorry, but physics is relevant to that discussion.
But the speed you use is an average based on how long it takes the player to cover 40 yards starting with a velocity of zero. It does not take into consideration the top end velocity or the velocity at any given point in which a defensive player may be making contact.:biggrin:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
But the speed you use is an average based on how long it takes the player to cover 40 yards starting with a velocity of zero. It does not take into consideration the top end velocity or the velocity at any given point in which a defensive player may be making contact.:biggrin:
True. But Bigun's alleged 4.9 (and others' suggested slower 6.0) 40 time was the measure that was being discussed when TexasBama suggested that when considering "force", it's better to be fast than big. I was merely pointing out that that's not necessarily true.

Fast and small may or may not produce a larger impact force than slow and big. It depends on the relative differences in mass and speed between test subjects. If the difference in mass is relatively greater than the difference in speed, it's better to be big than fast. If the difference in mass is relatively smaller than the difference in speed, it's better to be fast than big.

What's absolutely incontrovertible is that 230 lb (104.3 kg) TR moving at an assumed impact velocity of 8.3 m/s (based on 4.4 40 speed) produces 3,592.6 joules of energy, while 350 lb (158.8 kg) DF moving at an assumed impact velocity of 7.5 m/s (based on a 4.9 40 speed) produces 4,466.3 joules of energy. In fact, if DF's 40 time is as slow as 5.3, his energy output still exceeds TR's. He has to slip to 5.4 before he and TR produce roughly equal output. Am I arguing that DF's a better back? Absolutely not. He's not even on the same playing field as TR. But we're not talking about who's the better back. We're talking about what's better for producing impact force - size or speed. No matter what, it's always better to be big and fast.

I agree that what is important in calculating force is the speed at actual impact, not an average speed over 40yds, which as you say, will range from zero when the ball is snapped to some velocity greater than the average. Do you have any suggestions for a better approximation for impact velocity? Without a radar gun pointed at a target on impact, I'm not sure there is one.

It could be legitimately argued that because of TR's lower mass, his acceleration (and therefore likely initial impact velocity) is much greater than DF's, narrowing or even overcoming the gap in energy production.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.