What is Brent Venables waiting for?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Any idea what job he's got his eye on? He definitely could have a HC job by now, if he wasn't waiting on a certain one.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Any idea what job he's got his eye on? He definitely could have a HC job by now, if he wasn't waiting on a certain one.
Why double your responsibility and quadruple your pressure when you can coach your favorite side of the football, make tons of money doing it, and be a part of one of the two best teams in college football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Agreed! I’m not sure why more guys don’t do it.
It's all about ego and control. I'm pretty sure if Dabo meddled in, or changed too much of what Venebles was trying to do he would already be in another job. Dabo is smart enough to stay on his side of the football and let him handle the defense. He learned that lesson faster than Spurrier did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not everyone wants to be the CEO. I know that I have no aspirations in that regard in my company, though I might be qualified. The reality - I prefer time spent with my family to time spent playing politics for my company. Venables could very well find himself in the same position.

He has a great income and has achieved a work/life balance that makes him happy. He may never take the next step. Not sure why he would?

TideRollsInOhio

Aug 20, 2018
Judging by his sideline demeanor and intensity he's not wired to be a HC. Way too emotionally involved and animated.
Although I agree, I will say Kirby was so out of control on our sideline, we had a guy in charge of wrangling him in with a rope tied to his belt! 😂 It seems like that might be something coaches can overcome when needed.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
$2.2M I'm sure plays a role in his staying put as DC. The only assistant coach who gets more is Dave Aranda, at LSU, who gets $2.5M.
He's got it made and enjoys what he does.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Also, his son was a freshman redshirt (3* and 4* LB, depending on who rated him) this past year so i'm sure that means he'll stay another 4 years...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you've ever run your own company you'll understand why making less and having far less responsibility can be a worthy trade for some people.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
But Dabo is certainly emotionally involved.
When he's using strong verbiage on the sidelines while getting on a player's case, does he chastise, critique with Godly words?
Now, that was an excellent speech Dabo gave at the People's House in D. C. However, everyone can hear that. What does he say on
the sidelines to get their 100% attention?

Seems, many coaches use profane words since they have a LIMITED, minuscule vocabulary.

To be a head coach you do need a somewhat extensive vocabulary to meet with the media. Does Venables have one.? I've really never heard him talk.
But I know he's had to prior to playoff, championship games when the media meets with the OC's and DC's.

While rereading the previous paragraph, I just thought, does Coach Yaw Yaw have an extensive Cajun vocabulary?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If you've ever run your own company you'll understand why making less and having far less responsibility can be a worthy trade for some people.
When decisions have to be made, everyone looks at the BOSS for those decisions. Some people are satisfied just to be a part of the winning team with fewer responsibilities and don't
mind being in a ROLE that makes the BOSS look good. Is Venables one of these types of persons? Because of his success at Oklahoma and at Clemson, you'd think he'd be a great head coach by now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When decisions have to be made, everyone looks at the BOSS for those decisions. Some people are satisfied just to be a part of the winning team with fewer responsibilities and don't
mind being in a ROLE that makes the BOSS look good. Is Venables one of these types of persons? Because of his success at Oklahoma and at Clemson, you'd think he'd be a great head coach by now.
It is about a whole lot more than taking responsibility or making your boss look good. You have to makes huge personal sacrifices to be the CEO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.