Is it true Golding was calling plays as early as October?

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I apologize if this is covered in other threads but I did not see it. An ESPN article indicates this to be the case.

Admin: I have noticed this issue in another post. Please remove.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
If it is true, I was less than impressed with his last 3 games.
If the ESPN report was true, not sure we can 100% Judge Golding and here is why.

Pete was in the Press Box. He had to see the personnel on the field and then make a call to the sideline. The sideline then had to relay the call. Even if Tosh relays it as quickly as humanly possible, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to hear it and relay it. Then, based on any O shift, either Tosh was making the checks or, he had to wait for Pete and that delays getting the check to Mack by 3-4 seconds. In the end that could explain why the D looked like they were lost/confused at times.

In a way one could say if Pete put together the OU came plan and was calling the D, he showed to be a good coordinator based on Q1. The D game out and ate OU up in the first Q. Once OU made adjustments, the delay in getting checks to Mack created issues. (Again assuming Pete was calling the D from the box)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
If the ESPN report was true, not sure we can 100% Judge Golding and here is why.

Pete was in the Press Box. He had to see the personnel on the field and then make a call to the sideline. The sideline then had to relay the call. Even if Tosh relays it as quickly as humanly possible, it takes 3 or 4 seconds to hear it and relay it. Then, based on any O shift, either Tosh was making the checks or, he had to wait for Pete and that delays getting the check to Mack by 3-4 seconds. In the end that could explain why the D looked like they were lost/confused at times.

In a way one could say if Pete put together the OU came plan and was calling the D, he showed to be a good coordinator based on Q1. The D game out and ate OU up in the first Q. Once OU made adjustments, the delay in getting checks to Mack created issues. (Again assuming Pete was calling the D from the box)
The 2nd half of the UGA game was really good too. LSU and MSU were also great plans too. Last season will go down in history in our minds as being a terrible defense, but at times, they were really, really good. They even started out good against Clemson, but that game is an outlier in all ways, really.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The 2nd half of the UGA game was really good too. LSU and MSU were also great plans too. Last season will go down in history in our minds as being a terrible defense, but at times, they were really, really good. They even started out good against Clemson, but that game is an outlier in all ways, really.
You make a great point that at times our plan was very solid. Looking back at LSU and MSU, not a lot of checks by those offenses which lends more to the theory Golding was calling plays and Tosh signaled them in from the sideline. Even UGA it seemed like at the half we got stuff ironed out and combined with UGA going into a protect the lead mode, the D looked much better.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know what was happening. I just know the result. And I know how poorly Golding's position group played last year. Need better in 2019, no matter how you get there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't know what was happening. I just know the result. And I know how poorly Golding's position group played last year. Need better in 2019, no matter how you get there.
Correct, but Wylie's theory does point to a possible reason for the issues. If they're busy looking to the sideline waiting for a check, they're going to be a step slow (ala Kirby's defenses in 2012-2014 until the simplification started).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To be fair, that same position group didn’t play well last year after SDH went down and Evans was hurt.
In the 2017 playoffs Mack and Moses were absolute beasts. You struggled against Auburn because you were playing a baseball player at ILB for a few games before you totally trusted Moses in the role. Mack played so well down the stretch that he was considered a top 15 draft pick entering the 2018 season. Mack and Moses both regressed this year. Again, I don't know why, I just see the results. 2019 has to be better.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is why I'm paying attention to Spring camp. I want to see how Dylan and the LB units does this spring.

I still don't understand why we didn't develop the depth behind the starting units this year, and hopefully, we will fix that this coming spring, summer and fall. Saban also needs to figure out a way to communicate faster on defense prior to the snap. Teams will likely to go no huddle against Bama defense to keep them from making the calls.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Honestly this is one reason I'm hoping that Kelly ends up being co-defensive coordinator. Clearly there were some issues, and while I think most the blame lies with Tosh (not necessarily his fault, from what I read even he wasn't sure he was ready to do it), it's hard to say Golding performed his job perfectly either.

I know a lot of people don't like the job he did, but Charles Kelly was by himself as defensive coordinator for three straight top 20 defenses, in a power 5 conference. Even if he's not the one doing everything, I'd think he'd be plenty capable of providing what was missing (he was also linebackers coach at Florida St.). I think it's a little naive to assume you just remove Tosh and Golding becomes a lot better. Golding was defensive coordinator in the C-USA for a couple of years, he's young, and he's still learning on the job...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Honestly this is one reason I'm hoping that Kelly ends up being co-defensive coordinator. Clearly there were some issues, and while I think most the blame lies with Tosh (not necessarily his fault, from what I read even he wasn't sure he was ready to do it), it's hard to say Golding performed his job perfectly either.

I know a lot of people don't like the job he did, but Charles Kelly was by himself as defensive coordinator for three straight top 20 defenses, in a power 5 conference. Even if he's not the one doing everything, I'd think he'd be plenty capable of providing what was missing (he was also linebackers coach at Florida St.). I think it's a little naive to assume you just remove Tosh and Golding becomes a lot better. Golding was defensive coordinator in the C-USA for a couple of years, he's young, and he's still learning on the job...
I'm going to say this.... I think at one point, I'm pretty sure Saban said it is hard to make adjustments during the season. Where do they find the time to fix the issues on defense? They can put short term solution out there, but to truly fix it, you would have to do it in off season.

Check out the old article on how they manage the Game week: https://www.sbnation.com/a/college-football-preview-2015/coaches-work-week

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
In the 2017 playoffs Mack and Moses were absolute beasts. You struggled against Auburn because you were playing a baseball player at ILB for a few games before you totally trusted Moses in the role. Mack played so well down the stretch that he was considered a top 15 draft pick entering the 2018 season. Mack and Moses both regressed this year. Again, I don't know why, I just see the results. 2019 has to be better.
No, Moses didn’t record a single tackle against Clemson or UGA in the playoffs because Evans was back, but Mack did play pretty well but didn’t have as much responsibility when Evans was out there. Mack Wilson has always been boom or bust, even last year. That’s the point I’m making. These 2 guys out there together have never shown to be consistent. I’m like you - I don’t why that is - but that’s the truth.

I do agree they struggled this year, but they did last year too when Evans wasn’t on the field.

In the Clemson game, moving Moses to OLB in place of Miller was certainly not a good call. I’m not sure who made that call, but it wasn’t a good one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do agree they struggled this year, but they did last year too when Evans wasn’t on the field.
Agree to disagree. Moses and Mack were super-stars in 2017 when they played. Frankly, I don't see how you can't see it. The baseball player - he couldn't tackle anyone in the open field, and that made the group look bad, but Moses and Mack were great in 2017. So great that NFL scouts were drooling over them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The thing for us to remember is this is CNS's defense and he'll make sure he gets it fixed. The rare years our defense struggles, he figures it out, makes adjustments and it usually gets better real fast. IOW, I'd be shocked if we see the same struggles next year.

I think the real question mark is what our offense looks like next year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the real question mark is what our offense looks like next year.
Good point. I expect it to be much different - more pro-set, fewer RPOs, fewer deep to shallow pass progressions plays. I hope that you continue to leverage your RBs and TEs in the pass game, and I hope that you continue to take deep shots (just not as many).

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Agree to disagree. Moses and Mack were super-stars in 2017 when they played. Frankly, I don't see how you can't see it. The baseball player - he couldn't tackle anyone in the open field, and that made the group look bad, but Moses and Mack were great in 2017. So great that NFL scouts were drooling over them.
Lol - Ok. When was that? Against Citadel? Moses was really only in impressive in that game. I know because I was sitting there watching it. Up until that game, he had never had more than 2 tackles in any game in mop up duty. He had 11 tackles (10 solo) against Citadel and 10 tackles (6 solo) against AU. He broke his foot and missed the playoffs, so I’m not sure what you think you are remembering about Moses “being a beast in the playoffs” and being a superstar last year, but he only played significant snaps in 2 games, Citadel and AU. He looked good against Citadel and looked lost against AU.

I’m not hating on the guy. I think he has potential to be great, but he hasn’t played to his athletic ability or potential yet - this year or last year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.