Question: What direction do you see college football heading in the next 10 years?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I do think officiating P5 games will move to the booth eventually. All you need are 11 cameras. Program cameras to watch for penalties. Throw digital flags on the field. Then human review within 30 secs.
While I am glad for reviews I have come to hate the many game stoppages. It makes me wonder if we should just accept a bad call here and there so the game came be more fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While I am glad for reviews I have come to hate the many game stoppages. It makes me wonder if we should just accept a bad call here and there so the game came be more fluid.
I would much rather that they get those calls right.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I think it’s inevitable that technology starts to play a bigger part. Things like a small chip in either tip of the ball to determine if the ball actually crossed a laser beam at the goal. It will be considered most valuable when there are a pile of players on a goal line stand. Do I like this: Big fat NO!!!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Perhaps on a deeper level it’s the sanitation and the “perfection” of the game that I resent. If we continue to dehumanize the sport in the name of making all things right then we might as well watch a bunch of robots play. I’m sorry if I offend some of you but that’s how I feel. But I appreciate other positions that are stated...in the end we are all brother and sister Tide fans here.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Helmet cams on every player that would give a close up for review to penalties, fumbles, interceptions, etc, of course the game will take 8 hours to play. :rolleye2:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Helmet cams on every player that would give a close up for review to penalties, fumbles, interceptions, etc, of course the game will take 8 hours to play. :rolleye2:
Ha! And there is a pressure sensor in every helmet to determine the force of every hit. It is active in real time and if someone hits too hard they are ejected from the game. This may all sound crazy to some of you but this is where we are headed.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Only 8 hours? So you think we won't have commercials anymore? Because with commercials it will be more like 12-14.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO, most of you are watching too many sci-fi movies.

In 10 years? I don't think the game will look much different.

Great QBs will always be the difference in offensive success and a great defense will usually win a championship.

In 100 years? Yeah some of you may be right.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
With regard to college football, I think the parity that exists in college basketball already will become better in college football. Blue Blood programs like Alabama who have managed to hold on even when other blue blood programs have fallen will also see their stature change. Not fast, but it will come more in line with what other programs are doing. The playoffs might expand as well, and the conference title games will become less important.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think the game will eventually become much like the 7-on-7 competitions with lots of scoring and more restrictions on defense in the name of player safety. Basically flag football. People will be like: "Yeah, they used to have these big behemoths out there, some over 300 lbs, crushing each other on every play. And the way they ran into each other was brutal. It was really primitive."

I do find it interesting that since so much of the revenue comes from TV coverage, and since you can sit at home and watch any game on any Saturday, that the cost of tickets has actually gone up instead of down. You would think that as demand goes down, so does the price. That's kind of basic economics. But that hasn't happened. Instead, it's gotten to the point where attending a game in person is cost prohibitive for a lot of people, especially if you want to take your kids or family to the game. I guess maybe demand for tickets has not decreased, but it seems like it would with the technology we have today. You would think that as TV coverage expands, attendance would go down and the size of the stadiums would actually get smaller. But that's not the case, at least not in the SEC.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
When you look at how things have changed within the last ten years, I can only imagine that the face of college football will have changed quite a bit in the next ten. These transfers are truly going to change the way you go about building your roster, and a team like OU, that has a rent-a-qb every single year may be the norm moreso than the way things are right now.

rtr

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When you look at how things have changed within the last ten years, I can only imagine that the face of college football will have changed quite a bit in the next ten. These transfers are truly going to change the way you go about building your roster, and a team like OU, that has a rent-a-qb every single year may be the norm moreso than the way things are right now.

rtr
Yep......

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I can see chips sewn in the tips of footballs and receivers in yard markers, chains and end zone pylons to determine first downs, TDs and spots on field.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
January of 2030.....

• The Instagram/Facebook Top 35 will come out each week
  • 50% of the vote will be determined by how many "likes" each team got during the week
  • Helmet Sensors will determine any head to head contact
  • Defensive player who commits the contact will be forced to play the rest of the game with one hand tied behind his back
  • A second offense will result in him/her having to perform 80 hours of community service on Saturdays in December and January
  • Central Florida will have joined the B1G after the departure of Maryland, who rejoins the ACC, after the departure of Wake Forest who finally gives up football
  • Vanderbilt, Rice, Stanford, Northwestern, Duke, Tulane, and Notre Dame form a conference -- where they only play each other 2x per year....and Notre Dame gets in the 8-team playoffs annually as a Conference Champion, their slogan?

"We're the only TRUE Conference where we play each team TWICE, Home and Home each year" -- forcing the Big12 to rethink their current (11 year old) slogan....

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can see chips sewn in the tips of footballs and receivers in yard markers, chains and end zone pylons to determine first downs, TDs and spots on field.
Even so, there will still have to be some human judgment. Chip showing football crosses goal line means nothing if his knee was down.

Wayne4Bama2

Scout Team
Feb 10, 2001
Dothan,Al,Houston
I think it’s good from time to time to reflect on where college football was, where it is today and where it is heading in the future. There are some of you on this board that lived during the Coach Bryant years. You remember black and white TV and only three networks to choose from. Players on your favorite team where homegrown or lived only a state away. Fast forward to today...there is sports on 24/7 in high definition so there’s no need to wait till next Saturday’s game anymore. Now players are like free agents and come from almost anywhere...even other countries. High profile coaches are instant millionaires and lead programs like the CEO of a company.

As you can see...we’ve come a long way baby! Given the vast change we’ve already seen...what changes can we expect in the next decade?

SOUTH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.