Link: Kenny Bell closer to return

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It would be great if he could play and play like he did before the injury. He's the only other deep threat besides Cooper and White (who's out for the season). He gives us an extra element because they might be able to cheat a safety to protect Cooper from getting deep, but they can't do anything but put a guy on Bell and hope he doesn't burn him

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
http://espn.go.com/college-football...tional-championship-notre-dame-fighting-irish

Seems so crazy and far fetched I'm almost nervous to post it. Could this happen? And even if it can, should it? Someone here may know more about the nature of his injury, but I don't think I've ever heard of someone recovering from a broken leg and playing 5-6 weeks later.

Wow. What a story.
Remember that he broke his fibula, which is non-load bearing, not his tibia. There would be no question of his playing this soon with a broken tibia. I've been saying all along that it depended on how much soft tissue damage was done, which would depend on if the two broken ends were free and moving around...

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Remember that he broke his fibula, which is non-load bearing, not his tibia. There would be no question of his playing this soon with a broken tibia. I've been saying all along that it depended on how much soft tissue damage was done, which would depend on if the two broken ends were free and moving around...
Whew, makes me nervous thinking about it.

The only experience I have personally is breaking both, and compound at that. Obviously that was traumatic. Maybe that's why it's hard for me to imagine.

Would love to see him out there, but I'll just draw up into a ball if he carries...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Looks like not much
I think Saban first characterized it as a "stress fracture," which I thought must be a mistake, since that's a bone fatigue injury and usually takes very extended periods of time to heal (if ever). I tend now to think that the bone was just cracked, if he can play this soon...

I think Saban first characterized it as a "stress fracture," which I thought must be a mistake, since that's a bone fatigue injury and usually takes very extended periods of time to heal (if ever). I tend now to think that the bone was just cracked, if he can play this soon...
Stress fracture doesn't sound right if you look at the play in which it happened. I looked at videos though and he limped noticeably. Now they are saying its a lot better.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The key will be if his speed is there. I don't think ND even has anything they can do to scheme for him considering the attention Cooper requires in addition to the run game. He's going to get man coverage either way and he's going to need his speed to burn them. A 50-75% Bell might not be the player we need.

The key will be if his speed is there. I don't think ND even has anything they can do to scheme for him considering the attention Cooper requires in addition to the run game. He's going to get man coverage either way and he's going to need his speed to burn them. A 50-75% Bell might not be the player we need.
Yeah he so fast and I'm sure they haven't put him in the their scheme. One false step and he's gone.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Whew, makes me nervous thinking about it.

The only experience I have personally is breaking both, and compound at that. Obviously that was traumatic. Maybe that's why it's hard for me to imagine.

Would love to see him out there, but I'll just draw up into a ball if he carries...
That's a horrible injury. I've broken a bunch, but never anything like a compound...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd think that, at this point, the only limiting factor on his speed would be the pain factor and, for a big game, they'll make sure he doesn't hurt, within reason, I mean. I agree that it would be a nightmare for the ND DC to have him and Cooper to cover at top speed. We had a different passing attack until we lost him. I was salivating over our passing attack this year, then Black goes down, then White goes down, then two others are slowed by injury and Bell goes down. How many schools have enough quality depth to maintain a decent passing attack, losing that many quality receivers...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Then again it could be that could have been the straw that broke the camel's back. But I'm no doctor. I just hope he returns as close to 100% as he can be.
That's frequently true, but, in those cases, it's months, years, or, sometimes, as I said, never. Remember the big center for Kentucky, Bowie? There have been many more careers ended by stress fractures. Of course, "stress" means what it says and I've never in my life heard of a stress fracture to the fibula, because it's under no stress, comparatively. Beau coup, of course, with the tibia...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hopefully we keep 'em healthy next year because I can't remember a time where we've had 3 legitimate and game-action proven over-the-top threats like Cooper, Bell, and White. Black could be a fourth and Christion Jones is probably going to have the light come on soon like Bell and White this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.