Numbers Never Lie on why Notre Dame will win the BCSNCG

rhm54

1st Team
Nov 30, 2006
This is just a load of crap but hey, I guess it gives them hope. My thoughts are they have never played an O Line like ours.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A more interesting analysis would have been seeing the relative performances: ND RZ defense v. opponent RZ offense (were their numbers inflated by a large mix of poor offensive units) and Bama RZ offense v. opponent RZ defense (did we catch bad teams in the redzone).

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
They take one random stat, and use it to predict the game? They could have used red zone FGs, and seen that they have allowed 13, while we have only allowed 3. They are allowing 0.2 ppg less in the red zone than we.
And, like rgw said, they should look at relative strength in those numbers. If I had time, I would do that. Maybe tomorrow.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
The -38 yards is probably due to a couple of big sacks or fumbles. I'm thrilled this is the only stat this guy found. Frist, their defensive backfield is a weakness so Amari Cooper doesn't need a redzone. Second, while they probably get bodies in the right places, theres no way they push back our offensive front if they are NCAA players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One step ahead of you GreatDanish!

Notre Dame Opponent RZ Offense / Defense:

Navy #69 / #12
Purdue #76 / #100
Michigan St. #63 / #62
Michigan #4 / #69
Miami #23 / #47
Stanford #33 / #42
BYU #69 / #1
Oklahoma #8 / #62
Pitt #53 / #33
Boston College #96 / #54
Wake Forest #5* / #76
Southern Cal #88 / #47

*This is why statistics have to be taken in context. They're #5 but have half the red zone attempts of the rest of the top 5; their offense is near the bottom in total AND scoring offense. At least they did cash in when they got into the red zone every blue moon.

Alabama Opponent RZ Offense / Defense:

Michigan #4 / #69
WKU #63 / #69
Arkansas #110 / #19
FAU #107 / #100
Ole Miss #11 / #27
Missouri #88 / #33
Tennessee #29 / #114
Mississippi State #88 / #42
LSU #39 / #27
Texas A&M #17 / #33
Western Carolina (FCS)
Auburn #53 / #76
Georgia #29 / #12

As you an see, Alabama played 6 top 40 red zone offenses to Notre Dame's 5 but as I said...WF didn't have an offense capable of finding the red zone as they didn't in that game against Notre Dame. Alabama also played more top 40 RZ defenses than Notre Dame. They played some of the overall inferior teams in the combined slate but they also played a stingy UGA and LSU RZ defenses with high success rates in those games.

Overall, I would say that each teams strength - RZ offense for Alabama and RZ defense for ND - were inflated by opponents but Alabama offense has been more tested by solid RZ defenses than Notre Dame's RZ defense has been tested by offenses.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
This is just a load of crap but hey, I guess it gives them hope. My thoughts are they have never played an O Line like ours.

This is good. Let them keep telling the Alabama Offensive line they do not have a chance against the Notre Dame impenetrable defense.
What will this do for Mr DJ Fluker and B. Jones and company? They need to see this.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Oh, it is just some show on ESPN. One more reason the only time to watch anything on there is when Bama is playing. (If parading idiots like Skipless Bayless isn't reason enough.)

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
How many of these stats come from the National Title Game? None.

These stats come from previous games throughout the season. Alabama and Notre Dame haven't faced each other so every statistic is simply that, a statistic. Conversions, points, attempts, none of that guarantees victory. You could find stats that are all in favor of Alabama or all in favor of Notre Dame.

Players win Championships, not numbers. Once the players step on the field the only numbers that matter are the ones on the scoreboard.

chattabama12

Scout Team
Oct 22, 2008
I don't care what those guys were saying bc that is by far the coolest segment that network does. I will be tuning in to that show for sure.

BamaFanOnBeach

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2007
There is no question ND has a strong run defense and an excellent redzone defense. I honestly expect Bama to struggle in the redzone against ND and have to settle for FG's, especially in the first half.

I also expect ND to struggle just as much, if not more in the red zone. Bama has been vulnerable in the passing game outside the red zone, but not in it. I just don't see ND being able to score more than 1 TD in the redzone (if that).

I also don't expect ND to get into the redzone as much as Bama. They are also not a big play team, they aren't built for it, so I don't expect them to score from outside the redzone much either. Bama can if AJ can get some time here and there.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
ESPN/rest of the college world are desperate to defeat Alabama and the SEC they say and do anything to promote Our Mum. They must think that Alabama is as weak minded as the Big 10. It's only 3 more weeks before the game and you know Santa Saban and his assistant elves will be busy conjuring up magic for the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.