Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. MSU...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That is correct. Auburn completely took away Georgia's rushing attack, and Fromm was not able to beat them. I expect them to do the same with us, but Jalen can throw the ball. He'll have to make plays like last night to win. I think he will do it.
Auburn proved that Georgia is really one dimensional.

Hurts will have to be the difference against the Barn. I believe we'll have to pass to set up the run in that game. Then mix in the zone read and stretch plays and then bust them up the gut when we spread 'em out.

I think Jalen will have a huge game.

Oh, and while Stidham is a great passer, he doesn't have the ability to turn a 3 yard run into a 6 yard run like MSU's qb. His running ability was a huge part of their ability to run on us.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I always felt that in college football if your defense held the opposing team 21 points or less your defense did a good job. it's up to the offense to do thier part for the win. we're so used to our defense squashing scoring, that anything from the offense is just icing. First, our defense didn't give up a ton of points and second, our offense showed up and did their part. ROLL TIDE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ill say this...

1) Ive said for sometime that UGA was a team waiting to get exposed. I think Fromm is good, but very inexperienced due to the lack of competition in the east. I think Auburn basically said " We are going to make you beat us in this environment because we are going to shut down Chubb

2) I think most of our defensive miscues came from a mixture of our respect for Fitzgerald's dual threat ability, Mullen playing the ball control game, and injuries

3) I don't think Auburn is patient enough to sit on the ball, and I don't think stopping the run by loading the box is going to as effective with a qb that can run with a highly talented receiving corps.

4) A lot will be said about Auburn vs MSU and our trip to cowbell land, but take these things into account:

A) MSU was coming off a very tough thumping from UGA when they went into JHS
B) Auburn got a lot of favorable calls early on that affected the game. Chief among them was a quick whistle on a clear scoop and score
C) We came into MSU off a very physical game against LSU, and it showed

5) The LSU games are going to be downplayed:

Everyone is going to be talking about how Auburn is a different team now, but they aren't. Ive watched Auburn all year, and I can tell you if things start going their way they start to fold. LSU lost to Troy 2 weeks before. Are you seriously going to tell me LSU is a bunch of worldbeaters in two weeks time

6) A lot of comparisons are going to be made from 2013:

But here is the thing... Auburn is going to be getting ALOT of love this year compared to 2013. Many still thought after a close MSU game in 2013 that Bama was going to win. Not many really believed Auburn was going to win. This time around many for the next 2 weeks are going to be talking about " How great Auburn is" and "how vulnerable Bama is". Bama is going to be angry.

7) I don't think Daboll has unleashed the playbook:

call me crazy but it seems that we are only opening up new plays when we are in trouble. I think Daboll is about to unleash his masterpiece on Auburn

8) Stidham is not Fitzgerald:

Again I think most of our defensive schemes were a bend and don't break style defense that is set to weather the storm that is Fitzgerald. Stidham is a statue despite his occasional qb runs. He doesn't have the wheels that Fitz has, and I think we will be far more aggressive

9) I think we are okay as long as we don't suffer any more injuries, and if we can get some folks back

RTR

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Ill say this...

1) Ive said for sometime that UGA was a team waiting to get exposed. I think Fromm is good, but very inexperienced due to the lack of competition in the east. I think Auburn basically said " We are going to make you beat us in this environment because we are going to shut down Chubb

2) I think most of our defensive miscues came from a mixture of our respect for Fitzgerald's dual threat ability, Mullen playing the ball control game, and injuries

3) I don't think Auburn is patient enough to sit on the ball, and I don't think stopping the run by loading the box is going to as effective with a qb that can run with a highly talented receiving corps.

4) A lot will be said about Auburn vs MSU and our trip to cowbell land, but take these things into account:

A) MSU was coming off a very tough thumping from UGA when they went into JHS
B) Auburn got a lot of favorable calls early on that affected the game. Chief among them was a quick whistle on a clear scoop and score
C) We came into MSU off a very physical game against LSU, and it showed

5) The LSU games are going to be downplayed:

Everyone is going to be talking about how Auburn is a different team now, but they aren't. Ive watched Auburn all year, and I can tell you if things start going their way they start to fold. LSU lost to Troy 2 weeks before. Are you seriously going to tell me LSU is a bunch of worldbeaters in two weeks time

6) A lot of comparisons are going to be made from 2013:

But here is the thing... Auburn is going to be getting ALOT of love this year compared to 2013. Many still thought after a close MSU game in 2013 that Bama was going to win. Not many really believed Auburn was going to win. This time around many for the next 2 weeks are going to be talking about " How great Auburn is" and "how vulnerable Bama is". Bama is going to be angry.

7) I don't think Daboll has unleashed the playbook:

call me crazy but it seems that we are only opening up new plays when we are in trouble. I think Daboll is about to unleash his masterpiece on Auburn

8) Stidham is not Fitzgerald:

Again I think most of our defensive schemes were a bend and don't break style defense that is set to weather the storm that is Fitzgerald. Stidham is a statue despite his occasional qb runs. He doesn't have the wheels that Fitz has, and I think we will be far more aggressive

9) I think we are okay as long as we don't suffer any more injuries, and if we can get some folks back

RTR

At full strength, I think we easily win the IB. With four of our best players out, that’s a different matter. We will basically be facing them with one arm tied behind our back. Anything can happen but it may be a bridge too far.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
At full strength, I think we easily win the IB. With four of our best players out, that’s a different matter. We will basically be facing them with one arm tied behind our back. Anything can happen but it may be a bridge too far.....
Maybe, but I still think we match up better against Auburn than what it appears. Kirby has never been able to shut down a good Gus team. Pruitt has.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
O has to start fast, D has to get off the field on third down. No dumb penalties, play smart. Do this and we will take the crowd out of the game. I always believe we have a chance. RTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am not talking about the defense - I am talking about the offense. Or are you buying the notion that they finally "figured it out" in the 4th quarter, when they started dominating MSU's defense?

The reality - the offense plays with no consistency in the entire LSU game and for the first 3 quarters of this game. They turn it on when they have to, but that is not good enough, and it certainly isn't playing to a standard.

I haven't had a single gripe about your defense this year. They are hurt now, but they are absolutely giving their best effort on every possession. Any inconsistency that we saw last night came from inexperience and from a defensive game plan that put them in a vulnerable position.
I'm talking about both. One side is thin and young. The other side plays with the play calls they're given. I do not buy that they're dogging it. Agree to disagree...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm talking about both. One side is thin and young. The other side plays with the play calls they're given. I do not buy that they're dogging it. Agree to disagree...
Well, not sure how you got from my words to "dogging it". I never suggested that offensive players were intentionally taking plays off, but it is pretty clear that they are not offering consistent focus and intensity. Agree to disagree, but let's be sure that we are disagreeing on the right thing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No, but the win might cause a more devastating loss. The players were celebrating. I get the happiness. I was celebrating. But if they don't realize now that giving less than 100% on every play is unacceptable then you are in trouble, because there are teams out there that do realize that and are playing accordingly.

I am not saying that this team is complacent, but it sure is inconsistent.
I really think you should look at the week after LSU in the past 5 years. We have only destroyed our next opponent twice, but take into account that 2015 and 2016 we had one of the best defenses of all time.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I really think you should look at the week after LSU in the past 5 years. We have only destroyed our next opponent twice, but take into account that 2015 and 2016 we had one of the best defenses of all time.
Of course, in 2013 and 2014, Bama didn't make it to the championship game, either...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The other side plays with the play calls they're given..
I have to admit it was a little perplexing to hear that Hurts is the one that shortened Ridley's route to compensate for the blitz. That says a lot of good things about Hurts, but it leaves some other questions.

I'm not upset with the offense as of right now. They did what they had to do, despite playing behind a few times and Miss. State dominating time of possession. Later in the game I saw some good focus and willingness to stick with what was working. If not for a missed kick (not the kicker's fault, Alabama was in range and went backwards) they would have scored on three straight possessions to end the game. I'm still just not sure what's going on overall though. It is an offense capable of great things but the consistency just isn't there yet.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have to admit it was a little perplexing to hear that Hurts is the one that shortened Ridley's route to compensate for the blitz. That says a lot of good things about Hurts, but it leaves some other questions.

I'm not upset with the offense as of right now. They did what they had to do, despite playing behind a few times and Miss. State dominating time of possession. Later in the game I saw some good focus and willingness to stick with what was working. If not for a missed kick (not the kicker's fault, Alabama was in range and went backwards) they would have scored on three straight possessions to end the game. I'm still just not sure what's going on overall though. It is an offense capable of great things but the consistency just isn't there yet.
In the NFL the idea is to only open up your playbook later in the season where bigger prey lurks, unless it is totally necessary to win a crucial game. Watch the Patriots and Steelers in early games and compare it to playoffs. Daboll is an nfl minded coach and you have started to see new plays here and there in recent games.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In the NFL the idea is to only open up your playbook later in the season where bigger prey lurks, unless it is totally necessary to win a crucial game. Watch the Patriots and Steelers in early games and compare it to playoffs. Daboll is an nfl minded coach and you have started to see new plays here and there in recent games.
This!

I think you nailed it. I want to go back to couple of things real quick:

If you read the article...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ng-ways-bring-more-fun-tide-attack/853885001/

Among those new wrinkles is more throws to the middle of the field, usually on a slant or crossing route where the receivers’ footwork and speed off the line can quickly create separation with a defender.
“I think the offense has got more comfortable as the year went along,” sophomore quarterback Jalen Hurts said. “I think people are more comfortable with doing certain things and I think we kinda got to the point where we want to be in terms of rhythm and how we want to do things offensively. I think the biggest thing coming down to it, I've always said it, is executing and being able to be efficient."
We saw that a lot against LSU and MSU. We just now incoporated that.. and I think we'll see new wrinkles this week which they will make some adjustments for Auburn game. I really do like this method... Make Auburn think we're running the same play, but only difference is they don't know what we'll do as far as players and their routes.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, I've watched the game now from last night.

Let's just say it wasn't as bad as I was suspecting given all the hand-wringing. In fact, two State fans (one who was at the game) posted on my Facebook that it wasn't "really" as close as the end and a couple of things would have given us the game easily.

1) LSU Hangover

It's a real thing, folks.

In 2011, we lost to LSU in the infamous 9-6 game. Someone looking at the box score and seeing we beat State 24-7 would say, "See, no problem." But remember that MSU was a 5-4 team entering the game and we only led 10-0 entering the fourth quarter. We looked a little lethargic on offense for three quarters.

In 2012, we had the awesome screen to Yeldon.....and lost to Manziel the next week after falling behind 20-0 three possessions into the game.

In 2013, we played a classic with LSU that we pulled away from in the second half. MSU was a 4-5 team, but the game was 10-7 us with 6 minutes left in the third quarter. And we never looked that good against Auburn and, of course, we lost to Oklahoma.

In 2014, we climbed off the canvas when we were as good as dead in Red Stick and actually DID play well in the MSU game, the final score was artificially close.

OK, we did fine the last two years but more often than not, we've had trouble.

2) Close Games Concern Me

The thing is, we just don't play that many close games. And you HAVE to be able to win close games in order to win it all because you'll ALWAYS have "that one."

Go back and look at the scores of our close games since the 2010 Arky game.

2010 LSU, L
2010 Auburn, L
2011 LSU, L
2012 LSU W
2012 ATM L
2012 UGA W
2013 Auburn L
2014 Ole Miss L
2014 Arky W
2014 LSU W
2014 Ohio St L
2015 Ole Miss L
2015 Vols W
2016 Ole Miss W
2016 Clemson L

We're 6-9 in close games. (I did not count the 13 ATM, 14 MSU, or 15 Clemson games because they were truly artificially close in that the scoreboard looked closer at the end than the actual game....Clemson scored a TD in the final seconds to make the point margin five, for example).

Last year we only had one close game and even that one only got close at the very end - prior to Clemson. They played several close games and the difference was obvious. Same thing with 2013 Auburn, they lived on the edge all year so no big deal in a close game.

3) Jalen Hurts Is Clearly Developing

Just wow. He's doing better, and he never was bad.

Anyway, we still have some issues to fix and injuries to overcome, but I do like our chances.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Let's just say it wasn't as bad as I was suspecting given all the hand-wringing. In fact, two State fans (one who was at the game) posted on my Facebook that it wasn't "really" as close as the end and a couple of things would have given us the game easily.

1) LSU Hangover

In 2011, we lost to LSU in the infamous 9-6 game. Someone looking at the box score and seeing we beat State 24-7 would say, "See, no problem." But remember that MSU was a 5-4 team entering the game and we only led 10-0 entering the fourth quarter. We looked a little lethargic on offense for three quarters.

In 2012, we had the awesome screen to Yeldon.....and lost to Manziel the next week after falling behind 20-0 three possessions into the game.

In 2013, we played a classic with LSU that we pulled away from in the second half. MSU was a 4-5 team, but the game was 10-7 us with 6 minutes left in the third quarter. And we never looked that good against Auburn and, of course, we lost to Oklahoma.

In 2014, we climbed off the canvas when we were as good as dead in Red Stick and actually DID play well in the MSU game, the final score was artificially close.

The thing is, we just don't play that many close games. And you HAVE to be able to win close games in order to win it all because you'll ALWAYS have "that one."

2010 LSU, L
2010 Auburn, L
2011 LSU, L
2012 LSU W
2012 ATM L
2012 UGA W
2013 Auburn L
2014 Ole Miss L
2014 Arky W
2014 LSU W
2014 Ohio St L
2015 Ole Miss L
2015 Vols W
2016 Ole Miss W
2016 Clemson L

We're 6-9 in close games. (I did not count the 13 ATM, 14 MSU, or 15 Clemson games because they were truly artificially close in that the scoreboard looked closer at the end than the actual game....Clemson scored a TD in the final seconds to make the point margin five, for example).

Last year we only had one close game and even that one only got close at the very end - prior to Clemson. They played several close games and the difference was obvious. Same thing with 2013 Auburn, they lived on the edge all year so no big deal in a close game.

Anyway, we still have some issues to fix and injuries to overcome, but I do like our chances.
Very valid point. I definitely do agree with you. I just want to point out few things:
We had the following OC:
2007-Applewhite
2008-2011- Mcelwain
2012-2013-Nuss
2014-2016 Kiffin
2017-Current- Daboll

Now all the losses we had over the years... One thing I noticed the common theme for most of the losses... Defense.

2010-LSU I believe Defense couldn't stop LSU in 4th quarter. Greg threw a TD to make the score 24-21.

2010-Auburn That was the game we were up 24-0 in second quarter before Auburn came back. That was the game we should've never lost. We lost focus.

2012-TAMU That was wild game. We never led in that game. Johnny kept making plays over plays. Defense couldnt' stop him.

2011- LSU the infamous 9-6 game. We dominated them in National Championship game.

2013-Auburn That game hurts. Kick 6. Defense Allowed Auburn to come back in the game. If we hadn't kick the ball, we go to OT and probably win the game. 2014-Ole miss- Bo Wallace Destroyed Defense.

2014-OSU- We should've won the game. We made mistakes and allowed them back in game.

2015-Ole Miss- I believe that was Bateman that started before Coker took over. We would've won if it wasn't the Int.

2016-Clemson- Defense was on field for 99 plays.

Bottom line: Defense may have cost us the win... but what we saw last night in the 4th quarter is what had me sold.
If we can get Defense to do their job against Auburn, we will be fine. Just don't give up the lead.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, not sure how you got from my words to "dogging it". I never suggested that offensive players were intentionally taking plays off, but it is pretty clear that they are not offering consistent focus and intensity. Agree to disagree, but let's be sure that we are disagreeing on the right thing.
"They turn it on when they have to, but that is not good enough, and it certainly isn't playing to a standard."

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

1) LSU Hangover

2010 LSU, L
2010 Auburn, L
2011 LSU, L
2012 LSU W
2012 ATM L
2012 UGA W
2013 Auburn L
2014 Ole Miss L
2014 Arky W
2014 LSU W
2014 Ohio St L
2015 Ole Miss L
2015 Vols W
2016 Ole Miss W
2016 Clemson L

I agree that the game did not seem nearly as bad after a reexamination. I also agree about the LSU hangover. And that Jalen is improving, though he has been eerily clutch from the beginning of his career.

Bama's grit, great will to win and ability to perform in the clutch is one of the most underrated virtues of the program. Close game records often are very misleading, even the definition of a close game is vague. Even regarding records, if you go back to 08 (UK, OM, UT, AU) when this run started and included 17 MSU and 15 Clemson, Bama's record is 12-9. Or if we go back to '12 the record is 8-6, or to '14 it is 6-3. You chose the worst starting year possible to look at "close" game records. But again close game records often mean little. It's certainly doesn't seem to be a concern for Alabama, IMO. Bama can certainly lose one, but not because they do not usually perform well at crunch time or fight well to the end.

As far as being clutch, I consider responding when challenged or threatened a better indication. In the last 2 years alone we have OM, A&M, Clemson, A&M and MSU. In each one Bama responded immediately to a challenge to their lead. The same for every game the last 10 years, including Utah, OU and OSU though they were overmatched at the time. Even USCe to a lesser extent, but they just had no answers and Garcia...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.