How would you rank the top 10 college football programs of all-time?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Iowa finished with 4 losses and unranked, destroyed by Penn St. and Florida, who cares what iowa was ranked after week 2..... You proved B1Gs point......
Gee who cares what Florida St was ranked week 1 in 2017... blue font.

See how that works. NDSU would be a middle of the pack team if they went to either league. They aren’t your ordinary FCS team, and would bury teams like Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa St in regional recruiting if the FBS tag was placed on.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
NDSU would be a middle of the pack team if they went to either league. They aren’t your ordinary FCS team, and would bury teams like Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa St in regional recruiting if the FBS tag was placed on.
I won't argue that, but it makes my point. If either had to play in a P5 conference, they would have achieved absolutely nothing.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I won't argue that, but it makes my point. If either had to play in a P5 conference, they would have achieved absolutely nothing.
BIG is right. What so many overlook is not just the individual game, but the mental and physical grind of a P5 (and SEC-W) schedule.

NDSU, Boise, UCF, and any number of other Kannell darlings would wear down like balsa wood in the second half of a P5 schedule, even the Pac-12.

The deal is, when they play a major school, it's almost always in the first game or a bowl game. So (1) they're supremely motivated and rested, (2) the P5 opposition couldn't care less about the game, and (3) they have anywhere from a month to a whole offseason to prepare for a single game. After which, they either have no game for 9 months, or a G5 (or smaller) school two weeks later.

If they played a P5 schedule, they wouldn't have time to recover from grown-man physical games. They wouldn't have multiple weeks or months to study film. Both OL and DL would be ground to talcum powder by mid-October, and they wouldn't win a game in November.

They deserve all the credit in the world at their level. But mention as a Top 10 all time football program? No.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Gee who cares what Florida St was ranked week 1 in 2017... blue font.
See how that works.
See how that works? It seems like you just proved the point counter to yours again. When anyone talks about Alabama success, the Florida St. victory in week one 2017 is not often referred to as a great accomplishment, unlike your your NDSU/Iowa reference. Florida St. turning into a dumpster fire in 2017 was hurtful to Alabama getting in the CFP. It took additional wins against solid P5 programs to prove they belonged, not just a flash in the pan single game victory during the year.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I didn't bring up NDSU and Mount Union from a standpoint of competing with those programs head to head. I agree with your comments especially if they had to play a full P5 schedule with their current rosters. I was just commenting on the success of the programs. Once you get outside the top 5 you are having a hard time finding a team without flaws. They could play that role from the standpoint of long term success at their level (NDSU at 2 levels). Both runs are incredible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I didn't bring up NDSU and Mount Union from a standpoint of competing with those programs head to head. I agree with your comments especially if they had to play a full P5 schedule with their current rosters. I was just commenting on the success of the programs. Once you get outside the top 5 you are having a hard time finding a team without flaws. They could play that role from the standpoint of long term success at their level (NDSU at 2 levels). Both runs are incredible.
Agree 100% - remarkable achievements for both.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
With 5 NC’s in the modern era and all occurring between 1983-2001, I will keep Miami on my list. To me officially recognized NC’s carry more weight than racking up regular season wins or even consistency over a long period of time.JMO

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
See how that works? It seems like you just proved the point counter to yours again. When anyone talks about Alabama success, the Florida St. victory in week one 2017 is not often referred to as a great accomplishment, unlike your your NDSU/Iowa reference. Florida St. turning into a dumpster fire in 2017 was hurtful to Alabama getting in the CFP. It took additional wins against solid P5 programs to prove they belonged, not just a flash in the pan single game victory during the year.
And where did I say anything about NDSU being on a competitive level as Bama? What I did say is they beat #13 Iowa when Big said “what top 10 did they beat?”. Which is close to a Top 10 team.

What has gotten taken out of context is that I believe that NDSU would replace those dumpster teams like Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa St as the middle of the pack team in the Big 10 and Big XII. NDSU would actually prosper from a FBS tag, but it won’t happen with Nebraska worrying about an already dwindling recruiting ground that stretches into The Dakotas.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
And where did I say anything about NDSU being on a competitive level as Bama? What I did say is they beat #13 Iowa when Big said “what top 10 did they beat?”. Which is close to a Top 10 team.

What has gotten taken out of context is that I believe that NDSU would replace those dumpster teams like Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa St as the middle of the pack team in the Big 10 and Big XII. NDSU would actually prosper from a FBS tag, but it won’t happen with Nebraska worrying about an already dwindling recruiting ground that stretches into The Dakotas.
The question was around the Top 10 CFB programs of all time.

The fact that some FBS schools might have more overlap today than some P5 teams at historic lows doesn't put them into Top 10 all time status.

If an historical power like Nebraska struggles today with a poor recruiting ground (and they do), what do you think NDSU would do against B10 and even B12 competition? They're already in the Dakotas, and have to go how many hundred miles to find a prospect that could realistically sniff mop-up time in the SEC? Then convince them that Fargo, ND is THE place to spend the next 5 years? Seriously?

They're all-time great in their league. They're just not an Top 10 CFB program. Won't be in our lifetimes, or our great-grandchildren's lifetimes.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
With 5 NC’s in the modern era and all occurring between 1983-2001, I will keep Miami on my list. To me officially recognized NC’s carry more weight than racking up regular season wins or even consistency over a long period of time.JMO
No problem there. It's a subjective list. That was one of the top dynasties of all time. If we were ranking those they'd be up there on my list, though with some reluctance considering how it was achieved.

My two problems with Miami are

1. All their NC's are within a 20 year window and that's it

2. Their win percentage is 0.63 with 622 wins all time, more than 200 less than UTe (the fewest on the list - both Princeton and Yale have more wins and win % than Miami)

Just stating my reasoning for keeping them off my list.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The question was around the Top 10 CFB programs of all time.

The fact that some FBS schools might have more overlap today than some P5 teams at historic lows doesn't put them into Top 10 all time status.

If an historical power like Nebraska struggles today with a poor recruiting ground (and they do), what do you think NDSU would do against B10 and even B12 competition? They're already in the Dakotas, and have to go how many hundred miles to find a prospect that could realistically sniff mop-up time in the SEC? Then convince them that Fargo, ND is THE place to spend the next 5 years? Seriously?

They're all-time great in their league. They're just not an Top 10 CFB program. Won't be in our lifetimes, or our great-grandchildren's lifetimes.
If NDSU ever came to FBS then you might as well say there will be another Nebraska championship in your lifetime, your grandkids life, and probably ever. NDSU recruits in the same recruiting holes as Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa. Give them the same advantages and a lot of SD, MN, and IA recruits will be spurning Lincoln for Fargo. NDSU has a modern winning program with far better infrastructure than Nebraska.

I think you like most overestimate the appeal Nebraska and underestimate NDSU. There is a reason NDSU isn’t in the P5 or FCS and it mostly deals with regional powers worrying about their financial and competitive futures. NDSU is a credible threat in a poor recruiting region in the country if given the advantages of those has beens and never wases in the MW that are FBS.

FWIW I don’t get where everyone thinks I said they “are top 10 of all time” or “ equal to an elite fbs program”. Unless y’all really think Nebraska is right now an elite program i have said nothing remotely close to NDSU being so. I said they would probably be a middle of the pack of a Big 10 W or Big XII. That isn’t too far of a stretch when you see what TCU has become.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
No problem there. It's a subjective list. That was one of the top dynasties of all time. If we were ranking those they'd be up there on my list, though with some reluctance considering how it was achieved.

My two problems with Miami are

1. All their NC's are within a 20 year window and that's it

2. Their win percentage is 0.63 with 622 wins all time, more than 200 less than UTe (the fewest on the list - both Princeton and Yale have more wins and win % than Miami)

Just stating my reasoning for keeping them off my list.
I agree that they shouldn't be on the list. IMO there are only 8 blue blood teams:

Alabama
Notre Dame
USC
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Michigan
Texas
Nebraska

To qualify for my list, a team must have had powerhouses in multiple eras dating back to at least the 20s or 30s. This rules out teams like LSU, Penn State, FSU, Florida, and Miami, the last three of which only date back to the early 80s as powerhouse programs. Penn State dates to the early 60s I believe, and LSU dates to a few years earlier. If they continue to win over a few more decades they could make the list.

They also must have remained powerful pretty much down to the present day. If we were running this drill in the early 60s, I would have had Minnesota on the list, so obviously a team can't remain dormant for too long and continue to be a blue blood.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That’s how I understood your post. Not how they would fare in a power 5 conference, but how they have fared historically at their level of competition.

Biased, but my top programs -
True Blue Bloods

ALABAMA
OKLAHOMA
USC
OHIO STATE
NOTRE DAME
NEBRASKA
MICHIGAN
TEXAS

NEXT TIER

PENN ST
MIAMI
FSU
AUBURN
FLORIDA
UT
Etc.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If NDSU ever came to FBS then you might as well say there will be another Nebraska championship in your lifetime, your grandkids life, and probably ever. NDSU recruits in the same recruiting holes as Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa. Give them the same advantages and a lot of SD, MN, and IA recruits will be spurning Lincoln for Fargo. NDSU has a modern winning program with far better infrastructure than Nebraska.

I think you like most overestimate the appeal Nebraska and underestimate NDSU. There is a reason NDSU isn’t in the P5 or FCS and it mostly deals with regional powers worrying about their financial and competitive futures. NDSU is a credible threat in a poor recruiting region in the country if given the advantages of those has beens and never wases in the MW that are FBS.

FWIW I don’t get where everyone thinks I said they “are top 10 of all time” or “ equal to an elite fbs program”. Unless y’all really think Nebraska is right now an elite program i have said nothing remotely close to NDSU being so. I said they would probably be a middle of the pack of a Big 10 W or Big XII. That isn’t too far of a stretch when you see what TCU has become.
I think you have the right answer to a question other than the one that was asked.

The question was about the Top 10 CFB programs of all time. Due to its consistent success in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, I would put Nebraska in that category.

Obviously, they're not in the same solar system today. With the way the game is changing, they might not ever reach those heights again.

So acknowledging that they're not there now, and their future doesn't look all that bright, in the context of all-time, I think they belong

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think you have the right answer to a question other than the one that was asked.

The question was about the Top 10 CFB programs of all time. Due to its consistent success in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, I would put Nebraska in that category.

Obviously, they're not in the same solar system today. With the way the game is changing, they might not ever reach those heights again.

So acknowledging that they're not there now, and their future doesn't look all that bright, in the context of all-time, I think they belong
How this drifted off was Big said “ if NDSU played FBS they achieved nothing”. To which I said they would probably replace a middle of the pack team in the Big XII and Big 10 W, which translates to achieving something considering a hypothetical jump to FBS. The discussion about NDSU had nothing to do with putting them in top 10 GOATs it had to deal with their ability to potentially make that leap.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
I agree that they shouldn't be on the list. IMO there are only 8 blue blood teams:

Alabama
Notre Dame
USC
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Michigan
Texas
Nebraska

To qualify for my list, a team must have had powerhouses in multiple eras dating back to at least the 20s or 30s. This rules out teams like LSU, Penn State, FSU, Florida, and Miami, the last three of which only date back to the early 80s as powerhouse programs. Penn State dates to the early 60s I believe, and LSU dates to a few years earlier. If they continue to win over a few more decades they could make the list.

They also must have remained powerful pretty much down to the present day. If we were running this drill in the early 60s, I would have had Minnesota on the list, so obviously a team can't remain dormant for too long and continue to be a blue blood.
You got me curious so I looked it up in
http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...art=1869&end=1960&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Wins

and in wins before 1960, Penn State is 17th with 382, Alabama 18th with 381. So Penn State would have had some very good teams before 1960.

According to: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history they have national titles in 1911 and 1912.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
In all honesty, this board is probably not the most objective place to rank the all time best programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.