2019 Spring Practice Thread

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Good. Hoping he wins the job next to Moses.

Yep - very good news. Even if he doesn't win the job, just having him there will increase the level of competition and push everyone to be better. I would think he has pretty good odds at winning the spot, unless we end up in a split role kinda like Nico and CJ did where McMillion = Nico and Ale = CJ.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I find it odd, given that football players are conditioned for short bursts of speed and power, and thus would rarely deal with shin splints. There have been basketball players and soccer players who have missed games due to shin splints (including Kobe Bryant), but those sports involve constant running. I can't see football players actually needing the type of cardio conditioning required of basketball and soccer athletes hat could cause shin splints. So yes, weird to me as well.
I had a case of shin splints in 9th grade. I could run up and down the court for hours playing pickup games and I did.

Don't know what the treatment is today, but my B'ball coach filled two five gallon buckets about half full of ice, added water to about 3/4 full and made me sit with both legs up to my knees in ice water for about 30 minutes a day. If you haven't done that you ought to try to it. It's real fun...especially the first 10 minutes or so. :wink:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I am not sure how a top conditioned athlete gets shin splints. I wish him well, but this is strange.
i had a bad case of them for about 2 1/2-3 weeks when i was in very good shape and doing a lot of running. in my case, a shoe change that messed a little bit with my stride was the culprit.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I had a case of shin splints in 9th grade. I could run up and down the court for hours playing pickup games and I did.

Don't know what the treatment is today, but my B'ball coach filled two five gallon buckets about half full of ice, added water to about 3/4 full and made me sit with both legs up to my knees in ice water for about 30 minutes a day. If you haven't done that you ought to try to it. It's real fun...especially the first 10 minutes or so. :wink:
that's pretty much how i fixed them. good times :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i had a bad case of them for about 2 1/2-3 weeks when i was in very good shape and doing a lot of running. in my case, a shoe change that messed a little bit with my stride was the culprit.
Agreed, shin splints aren't necessarily a sign of being out of shape or not properly conditioned. I used to get shin splints all the time but that was because I never rested my body. I went from one organized sport to another, I played A TON of pick-up basketball games on everything from concrete, beat up gym floors to asphalt. And looking back I'm almost certain each time I changed sport or activity, I didn't get the proper footwear either. I basically had one pair of shoes for everything other than cleats and "church" shoes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Agreed, shin splints aren't necessarily a sign of being out of shape or not properly conditioned. I used to get shin splints all the time but that was because I never rested my body. I went from one organized sport to another, I played A TON of pick-up basketball games on everything from concrete, beat up gym floors to asphalt. And looking back I'm almost certain each time I changed sport or activity, I didn't get the proper footwear either. I basically had one pair of shoes for everything other than cleats and "church" shoes.
i found out the hard way really quick the importance of good shoes and socks if you are doing a lot of running.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i found out the hard way really quick the importance of good shoes and socks if you are doing a lot of running.
Yep. It wasn't until after my frontal lobe fully development and connected that the light went off in my thick skull to pay more attention to my footwear. Unfortunately, by then, I'd already put a ton of mileage on by body with bad footwear. Now at 43, the inside of my right knee and other aches, I'm sure, are the consequence.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I got it in basic training at 17 (Mom had to sign) while at Ft. McClellan mid summer of '84. The first couple of weeks I ran with the fast group during pre-dawn pt then it hit. Man that hurts. Doc told me I'd have to pause training...do kp and guard duty for a couple of weeks and set my graduation date back. So I ran with the slow group in the back instead. It was rough but after some time all was good. I just ran through the pain and it worked out for me. But everyone is different.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Amen.

Every reason that I can think of that might lead to shin splints would seem to be covered for a football player at Alabama. Change foot gear - that could definitely cause it if you are not really paying attention to your body, but it is less likely to really hurt him at his age. Heck, I ran in Keds in my teens and 20s. Change your workout routine (adding new strength or speed movements) - I would think that this is closely supervised. Most people that I know who get shin splints get them because they do too much too fast. Can't see that happening for a veteran at Alabama.

I am not judging Ben. I am just saying that it is puzzling.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I had heard about family health issues when he was being recruited so this is no a huge surprise but could be something that keeps him from playing for us unfortunately.
Kahe says he will be back sooner rather than later...I'm suspecting he fell behind in classwork and CNS would not let him practice until he got his academics together. However, I have no basis in fact for this -- pure speculation. Just glad that he seems to have the desire to do whatever is needed to get back!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kahe says he will be back sooner rather than later...I'm suspecting he fell behind in classwork and CNS would not let him practice until he got his academics together. However, I have no basis in fact for this -- pure speculation. Just glad that he seems to have the desire to do whatever is needed to get back!
Word is a family issue back home in Nevada.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Because of this string I went out and got my wife new socks for her morning walks. Pretty brutal elevation changes here. She has worn them for the past week and it has been a game changer! No more doubling up with my golf socks!!! While not the intended outcome, you guys have helped me (my wife) out tremendously here!!! Thanks RTR!!!
Yep. It wasn't until after my frontal lobe fully development and connected that the light went off in my thick skull to pay more attention to my footwear. Unfortunately, by then, I'd already put a ton of mileage on by body with bad footwear. Now at 43, the inside of my right knee and other aches, I'm sure, are the consequence.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So, should it be necessary, who would be the most inside ready OLB?

maybe Allen, but with the weight he added this offseason to be better able to be a 3 down player at OLB, that could limit him as an ILB.

Parks lost weight into a better range for an ILB, but since he was pretty much a project pass rusher I don't know that ILB would fit.

Honestly, we are likely hoping that McMillon, Benton, Moody, Lee and C. Harris have what it takes to step into a role with more playing time. Everyone else is a bigger body on the LOS OLB type.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
maybe Allen, but with the weight he added this offseason to be better able to be a 3 down player at OLB, that could limit him as an ILB.

Parks lost weight into a better range for an ILB, but since he was pretty much a project pass rusher I don't know that ILB would fit.

Honestly, we are likely hoping that McMillon, Benton, Moody, Lee and C. Harris have what it takes to step into a role with more playing time. Everyone else is a bigger body on the LOS OLB type.
McMillon has the most time at the position, but I have no idea how he graded out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.