News Article: Clemson adds a marker to their "graveyard"

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I honestly do not care what Clemson does, if it makes them happy then let them have at it, they were certainly the best college football team last year.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Real Champions do not do these kind of gimmicky shenanigans. It's why Clemson will always be #2 as long as Nick Saban and Alabama are still around.

Clemson: Seth Rollins of CFB. Cool, hip and modern.
Alabama: Ric Flair. Enough said.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Seems more appropriate for a second-tier program to do when they occasionally pull off an upset of a national power. If Clemson feels they are an elite team then they should act like it's not a big deal to beat another elite team.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It isn't necessarily the stuff you expect from a premier program but it is their way and the only thing you can do about is not become a gravestone. (insert shrug emoji here)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Don't like it?

Don't get out-played, out-coached, out-motivated, out-physicalled, and out-hustled to the tune of 4 TDs in a National Championship game.

Don't have a starting DB (and former 5-star recruit) get embarrassed to the point of taking himself out of the game.

Don't cost yourself 14 points on 2 INTs (one going in for a TD, and the other a pick-6) in the first quarter.

Don't allow a dang fine coach to look like an all-time great because you didn't self-scout effectively, or change / refine a stinking thing between the SECCG and the playoff, or anticipate changes / refinements the opposition might implement.

I don't like that we put ourselves in a position for Clemson to do what they did. But I don't blame Clemson in general or Dabo in particular for memorializing the fact that they buried us. They did. Now, it's our job to dig ourselves out of that hole and return the favor.

Use it as motivation, not an excuse to pout.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Just another file to the "Never Dabo" folder...
Oh, come on. If Saban did something like this there would be Bama fans talking about how great it is. To the victors go the spoils.
However, I do hope we use it as motivation. I'm sure we can use a Phoenix rising or zombie apocalypse theme to come back and put a whipping on them next year.
I know some seem to really dislike Dabo, but I like the guy and think he does a fantastic job. Opinions definitely vary widely, though, it seems.
Roll Tide!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
So, doesn't mean I like it. But again, I was raised in a much different sports culture. It also goes to show you that Saban has no problem adapting. Do you really think 15 years ago Saban would have been open to a "turnover belt" being paraded around on the sidelines? LOL!

The point I'm trying to make is Dabo isn't doing anything that is out of touch with what's already going on in some form or fashion all over sports. How coaches deal and interact with players changes over time. This is no different.
I am a fan of Dabo and really like the walk-on, Bama boy made good story. However, I cannot imagine any player ever having the audacity to do a wet Willie to Coach Bryant. These days are definitely different, not better, but different.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah but fans still didn't believe we would've lost that game, and very few gave Clemson the respect that they deserved. Look at the insane score predictions and you will see how much they believed we were unbeatable and the GOAT.

without folks claiming I was singling them out... here is the pick the score

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306868&highlight=clemson

Folks clearly believed we were the GOAT.

My opinion throughout:

Losing Lewis: we are in significant trouble
Losing Diggs @Arkansas: we are in deep trouble
Losing Miller vs Oklahoma: Tua will win or lose the title because we aint stopping Trever without 3 of our 4 best defensive players out.

So no I never drank the Kool Aid

FWIW I think 18 Clemson will fall into that category 95 Nebraska does in that they are claimed to be the GOAT because no one expected them to destroy the team everyone was touting as GOAT. Basically remembered for 1 game, but none the less a GOAT but not the GOAT. I think 2001 Miami, 2004 USC, 2015 Alabama, and 2008 Florida rank higher as champs than 95 Nebraska and 18 Clemson.
See I can't even say they are in the same neighborhood as 95 Nebraska. 95 Nebraska does get a lot of credit for the way they destroyed a 12-0 Florida team in the Fiesta Bowl. That looked like Spurrier's best team ever and I do remember a lot of folks, maybe most, expected Florida to win the game. But looking back over the whole season, Nebraska destroyed everyone. They had one close game, off the top of my head maybe it was Oklahoma State, and they destroyed everyone else. Now, it wasn't a great schedule. That was pre-Big 12, so we are talking the old Big 8 days and Oklahoma STUNK back then. They did play a decent Nick Saban coached Michigan State out of conference.

Clemson struggled a bit last year during the regular season. It's one of the reasons I felt we'd win the game. Not only did they play a weak schedule, but they didn't look like world beaters much of the time. Dominating their final two opponents, who were a combined 26-0, will probably go a long way towards everyone listing them as one of the greatest teams ever, I'm sure. But I'm like you; I think several others should be ranked ahead of them, even teams that had a loss.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am a fan of Dabo and really like the walk-on, Bama boy made good story. However, I cannot imagine any player ever having the audacity to do a wet Willie to Coach Bryant. These days are definitely different, not better, but different.
No doubt, I see it on a routine basis on the youth level. I never would have thought in a millions years I would ever see "walk up music" played for youth league players coming up to the plate, or youth league sports being accessorized to the degree it has been. By accessorized, I mean teams having two game uniforms, multiple practice uniforms, everyone having to have matching bat bags, names stitched into gloves etc.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Believe it if you wish, but no one here was talking about best ever, even before the Clemson game. Knowledgeable Alabama fans saw the gaping holes which were only masked by an incredible offense.
I agree with you about last year's team, but there were quite a few here who were talking about it. I think there was an entire thread that kept comparing how badly we were beating opponents compared to the "greatest" teams ever. It had quite a bit of conversation and support, if I remember correctly.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This apparently "bothers" us. Our collective reaction to this is what we normally love to poke fun of in the teams "we bury."

I say we need to "get over it" and just get better and make sure it doesn't happen again. Like it or not, they are the '18 Champs. What are we going to do in '19???

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
No doubt, I see it on a routine basis on the youth level. I never would have thought in a millions years I would ever see "walk up music" played for youth league players coming up to the plate, or youth league sports being accessorized to the degree it has been. By accessorized, I mean teams having two game uniforms, multiple practice uniforms, everyone having to have matching bat bags, names stitched into gloves etc.
The bad thing is that I think it is the parents who think their little darlings should be treated like MLB players. The kids just adapt to what they are given. Kids would probably enjoy it more if they could just play football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring without all of the specialization.
I do find it laughable when I see kids in the spring with their bat bags with two bats and multiple gloves and uniforms. My little league coaches had a big, green Army duffel bag with about three bats for the whole team and the catcher's equipment shoved in it. I literally laughed out loud at a friend of mine when he told me his son had walk up music. The baseball program in this town is pretty impressive, but it just seems comical to me. Just play the dang game. :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The bad thing is that I think it is the parents who think their little darlings should be treated like MLB players. The kids just adapt to what they are given. Kids would probably enjoy it more if they could just play football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring without all of the specialization.
I do find it laughable when I see kids in the spring with their bat bags with two bats and multiple gloves and uniforms. My little league coaches had a big, green Army duffel bag with about three bats for the whole team and the catcher's equipment shoved in it. I literally laughed out loud at a friend of mine when he told me his son had walk up music. The baseball program in this town is pretty impressive, but it just seems comical to me. Just play the dang game. :)
LOL! Yep. I've had to, scratch that, MY WIFE has had to "watch my mouth" and keep me from saying stuff about all this tomfoolery to keep from offending everyone else. Currently, my 11 year old plays on a REC team that plays an occasional local tournament. His coach is truly a great guy. Spends a lot of his personal time practicing with the kids etc. However, IMO, he takes it a bit too far in some areas, such as the multiple uniforms and trying to get the kids to look like the pros. He is also a big advocate of private lessons. Which IMO, is a waste of money in most cases. I did get a good zinger in (then I got my butt chewed by my wife) this past week. During the offseason, the coach setup an eight week hitting lesson with a local hitting coach. The cost per child for the total eight weeks was $500. I chose for mine not to participate because again, I think these type things are a waste of money and time most of the time. Coach called me and literally said the following "I really wish you'd let *my son's name* take these lessons. I'm going to hate to see him fall behind the other players when we start playing in the Spring." I thanked him for the concern but respectfully said "We'll pass, I think he'll be fine."

Fast forward to this week. We've since played in three tournaments and just played in our first REC game this week. I'll give you one guess who's been the best and most consistent hitter on the team since the season started? Yep, (brag alert) mine. All the ones whose parents dropped the $500 have struggled mightily and our team as a whole has only won 1 game since starting this season. Granted, it's still very, very early and the regular season REC ball hasn't officially begun. But we've played roughly 12 "pre-season" games and so far, I don't see $500 worth of private hitting lessons paying off for anybody.

After the most recent game (this week) we were walking to the vehicle and the coach caught me and my wife and said "Man, *my son's name* is really zeroed in on the ball. I sure wish the rest of the team would start hitting. We really need it." I couldn't resist, and yes, I completely understand this was tool-baggish of me. But I casually said "I'm just glad now I didn't put him in those $500 hitting lessons. That's the best $500 I've never spent." He laughed it off and said "No doubt!". But boy my wife chewed me a new one when we got in the truck, as she should. I should have never said that and I plan on apologizing to him tomorrow at our game.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
LOL! Yep. I've had to, scratch that, MY WIFE has had to "watch my mouth" and keep me from saying stuff about all this tomfoolery to keep from offending everyone else. Currently, my 11 year old plays on a REC team that plays an occasional local tournament. His coach is truly a great guy. Spends a lot of his personal time practicing with the kids etc. However, IMO, he takes it a bit too far in some areas, such as the multiple uniforms and trying to get the kids to look like the pros. He is also a big advocate of private lessons. Which IMO, is a waste of money in most cases. I did get a good zinger in (then I got my butt chewed by my wife) this past week. During the offseason, the coach setup an eight week hitting lesson with a local hitting coach. The cost per child for the total eight weeks was $500. I chose for mine not to participate because again, I think these type things are a waste of money and time most of the time. Coach called me and literally said the following "I really wish you'd let *my son's name* take these lessons. I'm going to hate to see him fall behind the other players when we start playing in the Spring." I thanked him for the concern but respectfully said "We'll pass, I think he'll be fine."

Fast forward to this week. We've since played in three tournaments and just played in our first REC game this week. I'll give you one guess who's been the best and most consistent hitter on the team since the season started? Yep, (brag alert) mine. All the ones whose parents dropped the $500 have struggled mightily and our team as a whole has only won 1 game since starting this season. Granted, it's still very, very early and the regular season REC ball hasn't officially begun. But we've played roughly 12 "pre-season" games and so far, I don't see $500 worth of private hitting lessons paying off for anybody.

After the most recent game (this week) we were walking to the vehicle and the coach caught me and my wife and said "Man, *my son's name* is really zeroed in on the ball. I sure wish the rest of the team would start hitting. We really need it." I couldn't resist, and yes, I completely understand this was tool-baggish of me. But I casually said "I'm just glad now I didn't put him in those $500 hitting lessons. That's the best $500 I've never spent." He laughed it off and said "No doubt!". But boy my wife chewed me a new one when we got in the truck, as she should. I should have never said that and I plan on apologizing to him tomorrow at our game.
It's just a guess, but I would be willing to bet that your son's coach received a bit of that $500 for each kid he sent to the other coach. A lot of times it is a friend or relative of the coach. It is comical how quickly some folks throw their money away to help little Johnny or Julie do well athletically. The worst part is that some of those same parents don't worry very much about the academics. Of course, I guess that is what you get when you pay professional athletes what they get. Anyway, I do try to find the humor in things instead of getting frustrated. I'm hoping my heart appreciates it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It's just a guess, but I would be willing to bet that your son's coach received a bit of that $500 for each kid he sent to the other coach. A lot of times it is a friend or relative of the coach. It is comical how quickly some folks throw their money away to help little Johnny or Julie do well athletically. The worst part is that some of those same parents don't worry very much about the academics. Of course, I guess that is what you get when you pay professional athletes what they get. Anyway, I do try to find the humor in things instead of getting frustrated. I'm hoping my heart appreciates it.
Oh, I have no doubt he (the coach) got something out of it. The guy doing the class actually played professional baseball (minor league level) and I have no doubt was a superb player and is probably a very good coach. However, when you're dealing with youth league players, the instruction has to be on their level. At that age they are still needing basic fundamental instruction. High level instruction does them no good until the fundamentals are properly learned. It's like installing the pretty wood floors and granite counter tops in a house but you've yet to lay the slab (foundation) of the house. Cart before horse type stuff.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I would not apologize...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.