A national college football injury rprt may be coming soon if Big10 ADs get their way

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

A national college football injury report may be coming soon if Big Ten ADs get their way

The Big Ten has asked the NCAA to consider developing a national college football injury reporting system in reaction to the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that allows states to legalize sports gambling.

The conference's athletic directors proposed to the NCAA Football Oversight Committee in June what would be a first-ever weekly national injury reporting mandate. The ADs claim an injury report is necessary to protect the integrity of the sport.
Such a move would alter one of the most ingrained and long-standing traditions in college football -- coaches concealing injuries. From the earliest days of the sport, the decision to release such information has typically been made by the coaches themselves, sometimes flying in the face of fair play and transparency.

With the cross-country growth of sports betting in its infancy, it is becoming imperative that injury information be accurate and widely available.

"We have to be more transparent," Ohio State AD Gene Smith said during a National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics panel last week. "In football, we're going to kill this [idea of] gamesmanship around injuries."

Smith added: "We don't know if we want to report as many days as the NFL, but clearly on Mondays if somebody is injured from Saturday and you know they're not going to play the following Saturday because they broke their leg, why not just say that?"
(more in the link above)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
More from the linked story.....

"Whatever weaknesses or vulnerabilities that we have as a team, I can't possibly fathom why I would have any interest in revealing that to my opponent," Washington State coach Mike Leach told USA Today in January.

A national injury reporting mandate, though, seems to have some early support.
"All the coaches won't like it," UCLA AD Dan Guerrero said. "That's OK. But if everyone does it? Yeah."
The main issue is how to get around student privacy laws -- most notably the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Essentially, athletes would have to consent to have their injury information released publicly.

"It could be interesting," Guerrero added. "If you don't get 100 percent of your players willing to allow you to do it [then it could be a problem]."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It makes sense, so long as HIPAA protections are taken into account.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess I don't know all the legal subtleties - so take this suggestion with a grain of salt - but SEC competition isn't a requirement for the player. The conferences possess the power to disqualify players who will not waive their HIPAA protections in the interest of fairness in competition. Schools possess the right to not retain an athletic scholarship for those who do not participate in the majority of their sport's season despite being healthy. Seems like a solved problem other than the PR problem from the hardball being played by the schools.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Well I don't like it at all.

I don't mind knowing how MY team is doing regarding injuries....but as Coach Leach said.....why tell the OTHER team? I mean....they're the enemy....right? :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well I don't like it at all.

I don't mind knowing how MY team is doing regarding injuries....but as Coach Leach said.....why tell the OTHER team? I mean....they're the enemy....right? :D
It is about avoiding the possibility of undisclosed injuries resulting in betting improprieties. People on the medical or coaching staff could be tempted to sell that sort of information when there is betting involved.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is about avoiding the possibility of undisclosed injuries resulting in betting improprieties. People on the medical or coaching staff could be tempted to sell that sort of information when there is betting involved.
Who gives a crap about the bettors? If they affect the game, there's already an issue that needs to be addressed. If it's about people being able to make 'better' bets. Screw them. I couldn't care any less.

I don't see any benefit for the collegiate athlete.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Just report that everyone is healthy and expected to play. Then if they don't, you're not required to divulge why a player didn't play - unless the NCAA is going to impose penalties on programs that don't report injuries? Really? Since it sounds absurd, probably. But what about this: since the State of Alabama will likely never approve betting on any level, why should UA have to report injuries for people living in NY or NJ who want to make bets against them?

I don't wager on anything, especially the performance of college aged kids following a Friday night. If people are crazy enough to stake a portion of their income bases upon how college kids play a game, then they're obviously willing to lose that wagered money - and rightfully so. This is just another step toward bringing the college game more in line with the NFL.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The way things work right now.......certain details are released each week at the discretion of the team and everyone deals with it.

I don't even remember a situation when a team purposely tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

Who will start at QB has come up from time to time....but it's usually not due to injury.

Let the gamblers do what everyone else has always had to do. Speculate as needed.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The issue has nothing to do with simply divulging info to bookies or bettors. It has to do with the temptation for medical staff, admin staff, coaches, players, players' families and friends, etc. to divulge inside injury info to gamblers (house or bettors) for some kind of recompense. Either money or worse, affecting the outcome of a game. And you can bet that the potential for that has increased significantly this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Who gives a crap about the bettors? If they affect the game, there's already an issue that needs to be addressed. If it's about people being able to make 'better' bets. Screw them. I couldn't care any less.

I don't see any benefit for the collegiate athlete.
This isn't about the betters. This is about the integrity of the game. But I agree that the players should come first. That is why I supported the transfer rule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The issue has nothing to do with simply divulging info to bookies or bettors. It has to do with the temptation for medical staff, admin staff, coaches, players, players' families and friends, etc. to divulge inside injury info to gamblers (house or bettors) for some kind of recompense. Either money or worse, affecting the outcome of a game. And you can bet that the potential for that has increased significantly this year.
Yep - it keeps honest people honest and protects the integrity of the sport.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Yep - it keeps honest people honest and protects the integrity of the sport.
Protects whose integrity and for whom? Not the athlete...nor the school...only for the gambling industry and those foolish enough to believe that they can beat the system. Those hotels in LV are not built because people win more than they lose.

Legalized gambling will be an interesting journey for our sports industry...better than back room bookies? Who knows?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Just report that everyone is healthy and expected to play. Then if they don't, you're not required to divulge why a player didn't play - unless the NCAA is going to impose penalties on programs that don't report injuries? Really? Since it sounds absurd, probably. But what about this: since the State of Alabama will likely never approve betting on any level, why should UA have to report injuries for people living in NY or NJ who want to make bets against them?

I don't wager on anything, especially the performance of college aged kids following a Friday night. If people are crazy enough to stake a portion of their income bases upon how college kids play a game, then they're obviously willing to lose that wagered money - and rightfully so. This is just another step toward bringing the college game more in line with the NFL.
Better yet, just report the entire team as questionable and be done with it. I am pretty sure there was an NFL coach who used to do that on occasion.

Whatever weaknesses or vulnerabilities that we have as a team, I can't possibly fathom why I would have any interest in revealing that to my opponent," Washington State coach Mike Leach told USA Today in January.
I tend to agree with Coach Leach on this one.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Protects whose integrity and for whom? Not the athlete...nor the school...only for the gambling industry and those foolish enough to believe that they can beat the system. Those hotels in LV are not built because people win more than they lose.Legalized gambling will be an interesting journey for our sports industry...better than back room bookies? Who knows?
You realize that LV sets the line to try to get equal betting on both sides, right? I mean you are exactly correct that they are always going to set things up to where they will win, but they do not want a situation in which one team is bet more heavily than the other. It places them at great financial risk. What they want is both sides to be bet equally, then they just get the fees on all the bets. In table games and such, though, you are completely correct. Almost all of them are set up statistically to win for the house in the end if you play the game an infinite number of times.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Edited - maybe this is not still a problem. I don't bet on sports, so have no idea. But I would guess that there would be a "market" for injury information. But if that market exists, does extending the betting to more states really change anything? I just don't know.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Well....it is called gambling....
Wow. Like the headphone count this is just plain silly. If I have a player hurt Monday I will wait until Friday when he comes up "lame." Major or Minor violation?

The whole world seems to have gone into the FEEL GOOD mode making rule after rule of unenforceable or won't enforce rules. Geeze.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Better yet, just report the entire team as questionable and be done with it. I am pretty sure there was an NFL coach who used to do that on occasion.
It's pretty much what Bill Belichick does. Anyone who isn't 100% healthy is "questionable."

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Edited - maybe this is not still a problem. I don't bet on sports, so have no idea. But I would guess that there would be a "market" for injury information. But if that market exists, does extending the betting to more states really change anything? I just don't know.
It really doesn't change much at all. The betting was always there, but was more of the dirty little secret that everyone knew but didn't acknowledge. With the exception of the odd flyer Johnny Lunchbox makes on the Super Bowl now and then, I doubt there will be a huge increase in how much gambling people do because of this new law (or removal of a law). They will just be doing it through legal channels now instead of illegal bookies. The states will get their cut of the action, and life will move on. The market for the injury information will be more for the line setters' benefit than anything else. Remember, they want equal betting on both sides, so this will help them get that. Come to think of it, I might not want to be a bookie in the state of Alabama once it goes legal(though I doubt it will...only state around still without a lottery because they live in the stone age). People in Alabama are already football crazy, and if they decide to bet on football, you know many are going to bet on Alabama no matter who they are playing or the spread. When the line is high enough that the Bama betters lose, you would do well. But when Bama goes over, you would lose your shirt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.