JessN: Georgia wrap-up: Saban’s courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Georgia wrap-up: Saban’s courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 9th, 2018 08:43 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Jan. 9, 2018 In the college football world, success on the national stage brings with it many perks. A raise. Additional years on one’s contract. The freedom to veer a bit from established norms, and to take alternative paths to repeat an earlier success. If coaches are granted that kind […]

Read More Here

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Thanks Jess, love your articles and insight.

Now, on to the tough question: after struggling to progress this year and questionable game plans, will Daboll be on the sidelines next year in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If fortune favors the bold, it’s easy to see why Nick Saban has a lot of followers. Saban’s aggressiveness in title games has always been present, but it never gets the attention it probably deserves. A fake punt attempt against Texas, the onside kick against Clemson, now this. Of all Saban’s impressive abilities, the ability to know when to call his shot may be his most underrated.
I agree with this completely.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Great writeup, Jess. Maybe later it would be nice to just get your insight on just the level of poise Tua displayed coming into that situation. It's morning but it's still hard for me to take in what I witnessed firsthand.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Of course I’m not Jess. But I say yes. I believe Daboll was instructed to help Jalen become a better NFL QB which lead to some regression. It cut down on turnover but took away a lot of moxy. That said, aside from a few questionable streaks, he did pretty good for a first time coordinator. I think Daboll came on to position himself for a HC somewhere. I don’t see Saban letting him go after one year without some massive disconnect.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Great article, Jess! I always love reading your post-game writeups. This one is like a scoop of vanilla ice cream on hot peach cobbler while watching a July 4 fireworks show! Perfect cap to an amazing season!

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Re: Georgia wrap-up: Saban’s courage to make a tough call nets him a sixth title

Thanks Jess, love your articles and insight.

Now, on to the tough question: after struggling to progress this year and questionable game plans, will Daboll be on the sidelines next year in your opinion?

With different personnel on the field in the second half and a deficit to overcome, he was able to call creative, gutsy plays that, to my uninformed eye, transformed our kids into the unit we expected them to be all year long. I hope he stays and he gets a raise.

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Bolder than putting Tua in to start 2nd half was leaving him in after the interception which was just an awful play on his part. Most coaches would've gone back to Hurts at that point.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
With different personnel on the field in the second half and a defecit to overcome, he was able to call plays that, to my uninformed eye, were creative and gutsy and transformed our kids into the unit we expected them to be
All year long. I hope he stays and he gets a raise.
Calling plays and making game plans are only part of his job. To continue with the success we've had there has to be elite talent present. That talent wants to get to the NFL. To get to the NFL you have to grow and develop as a player. Jalen Hurts is an elite athlete, I will not hesitate to admit that. His progression, or lack thereof, must be placed at either his feet, or Daboll's. Which is it?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Jess,

Writers have a unique take on everything. Rank the 5 as most enjoyable for you to cover/write-up.

Well-done on this one, btw.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
Of course I’m not Jess. But I say yes. I believe Daboll was instructed to help Jalen become a better NFL QB which lead to some regression. It cut down on turnover but took away a lot of moxy. That said, aside from a few questionable streaks, he did pretty good for a first time coordinator. I think Daboll came on to position himself for a HC somewhere. I don’t see Saban letting him go after one year without some massive disconnect.
...Now, on to the tough question: after struggling to progress this year and questionable game plans, will Daboll be on the sidelines next year in your opinion?

Calling plays and making game plans are only part of his job. To continue with the success we've had there has to be elite talent present. That talent wants to get to the NFL. To get to the NFL you have to grow and develop as a player. Jalen Hurts is an elite athlete, I will not hesitate to admit that. His progression, or lack thereof, must be placed at either his feet, or Daboll's. Which is it?

Every great offensive coordinator will not also be a "QB Whisperer." Jalen's shortcomings in developing into an NFL QB could be more in his own (lack of) ability. How could you ever say that Player X "should have been developed" into something that he's never shown, without doubt, that he could be?

I am a huge fan of Jalen. I think he has shown moxy and leadership intangibles and poise that CANNOT be taught.

However, in the post game wrap up of the Alabama radio broadcast, Phil Savage all but said that Daboll's playbook has been condensed and limited by Jalen's lack of passing ability. He also said that the 2nd half performance was a much better representative of the Bama offense unleashed, with a passing talent at QB.

Daboll stays, Tua starts, Bama ROLLS.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Daboll can't teach a quarterback to see the field. Jay Barker described it almost as a religious experience, how his eyes had been opened to the wonders of the Cover 2.

He eventually got it. Some quarterbacks never do.

Funny that the question of Daboll's job security comes up the day after our offense just played its best and most sophisticated half of football in two years.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Bolder than putting Tua in to start 2nd half was leaving him in after the interception which was just an awful play on his part. Most coaches would've gone back to Hurts at that point.
In the post game press conference Saban mentioned that Tua came straight to him, put his arm around him, and assured him that he would learn from that moment. I'm sure that level of maturity helped make that decision a lot easier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.