Coach C M Newton has passed away

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Coach Newton passed away this afternoon. RIP Coach thanks for your contributions to Bama basketball. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sad to hear. My favorite Alabama basketball coach in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Very fortunate to have been at the University when he coached. Great coach and man.

Thanks for all you did for the University. RIP.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
When I was in 6th grade, the new basketball coach, C.M. Newton, came to our school to give a short clinic. He got us boys out on the playground, broke us up into teams, and we played a game with him coaching and reffing. I was so nervous I couldn't see straight but somehow remember throwing up a prayer from way too far away and it stripped the net. I looked over to see if he noticed and he was kind of frowning but he said "nice shot." I was so psyched I went home and begged my parents to buy season tickets. I was hooked.

Later, while in college, I happened to be down in central America at a high school, and noticed some really nice basketball goals on an outdoor court, better than what we had had in school. I asked our host about that since no one seemed to play there (soccer was the game). He explained, a coach from Alabama named C.M. Newton had come through on a good will tour to promote basketball, trying to grow the game, and had them installed. I was amazed by him again.

I was always disappointed that he left Alabama too soon, perhaps feeling that support for the basketball program was waning or could never get where he wanted it to be. But experiencing the rise of the program from being a joke to a bad call away from a shot at a national championship in a few years was amazing. The positive recognition he brought through the way he handled integrating the team changed a lot hearts and minds, in my opinion. He did more for the University than he is recognized for, perhaps.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The story goes that Coach Bryant hired him after calling Adolph Rupp and asked him for a suggestion on who to hire. He came in and told Bryant he needed to be able to recruit blacks and thus he integrated the athletic program.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The story goes that Coach Bryant hired him after calling Adolph Rupp and asked him for a suggestion on who to hire. He came in and told Bryant he needed to be able to recruit blacks and thus he integrated the athletic program.
Truth be known, I think he proved to some of his bosses that integrated athletics not only were the right thing to do but would make our programs better.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I was always disappointed that he left Alabama too soon, perhaps feeling that support for the basketball program was waning or could never get where he wanted it to be.

It’s exactly why he left. Years ago, I did a long interview with him, and he pointed at the 1980 season when his team had beaten Top 5 Kentucky and Top 5 LSU on the same road trip, then came home to a half-empty Coleman and lost to Georgia. I was at the game and it was embarrassing and dispiriting to watch.

It was that night, he said, when he knew he had to leave, that his program would never get the consistent support it deserved. The saddest part? He thought the biggest factor he couldn’t overcome was race.

Last edited:

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Having now read the full article in Tuscaloosa News, I deeply regret never having had the chance to personally thank Coach Newton for everything he did for my university. That he chose to live in Tuscaloosa after all these years, when he pretty much could have lived anywhere, says a lot.

In the early 1970s, the National Observer (now defunct, weekly newspaper out of Washington D.C), ran a full article titled "New Tide Rolls for Bama" highlighting the emergence of serious basketball where football culture ruled. It featured pictures of the starting five and talked about the rapid integration of the team under Newton - and noted it was occurring without riots, protests or major episodes or incidents of (the assumed and expected) racism. It was rare, positive news about Alabama from national media. That was a result of Coach Newton's influence. It gave this little kid hope for better basketball, a better university and a better world, and that's pretty good for a basketball coach. I wouldn't have been able to thank him enough anyway.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Having now read the full article in Tuscaloosa News, I deeply regret never having had the chance to personally thank Coach Newton for everything he did for my university. That he chose to live in Tuscaloosa after all these years, when he pretty much could have lived anywhere, says a lot.

In the early 1970s, the National Observer (now defunct, weekly newspaper out of Washington D.C), ran a full article titled "New Tide Rolls for Bama" highlighting the emergence of serious basketball where football culture ruled. It featured pictures of the starting five and talked about the rapid integration of the team under Newton - and noted it was occurring without riots, protests or major episodes or incidents of (the assumed and expected) racism. It was rare, positive news about Alabama from national media. That was a result of Coach Newton's influence. It gave this little kid hope for better basketball, a better university and a better world, and that's pretty good for a basketball coach. I wouldn't have been able to thank him enough anyway.
This is a tremendous post and the thing about it, he built a great team comprised almost entirely of kids from Alabama. Safe to say, the 70's were very heady and enjoyable times to attend the University. Thanks Coach Newt for your dedication, class, hard work and Lord, all the great memories.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
15 posts total for a historical figure in terms of Alabama sports and the entire South.

Alabama basketball in a nutshell.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
CM was slightly before my time. Wimp was the coach I identify with most. No question Wimp doesn't have the success he had without CM laying the foundation. I didn't realize how big an impact he had on the game itself with the Olympics and UK. He was about as classy a coach and man as I have ever seen. He had lived in Tuscaloosa for I guess about 15 years. His impact will continue to be felt here and across basketball for years to come. RIP.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
From Wimp:

[FONT=&quot]“I’m certainly sorry for everyone’s loss,” former Alabama coach Wimp Sanderson said. “We had a good professional relationship and I appreciate what he did for me in the game of basketball. He was a very good basketball coach and did a lot for the University of Alabama and for basketball in this state.”

Professional? Wonder what that's all about? Though I have a couple of guesses. [/FONT]

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Newton was married to the woman Wimp had the affair with that led to his firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.