Needing to be talked off the ledge here! (he's scared of auburn)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To be fair 2 isn't a condemnation of Bama but an exultation of Auburn. Acknowledging that Bama will need to execute at the top of their level isn't doubting Bama but giving due to the opponents skill level.

I feel as though I can say #2 and still feel confident that we come out with a win.

I would not agree with anybody who thinks Auburn are pretenders. Yes, they have faults that can be exposed by the talent and firepower of Bama but they have also been playing to a high standard themselves.
Remember, we are fanatics (fans). All we have to do is believe.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
First off thanks guys. Second, not a troll or an eeyore as some accusations on the thread stated. I’ve been on the site since 2011. I just don’t post very often. And after reading selmaborntidefan’s post I’m all better now. Also liked the objective view of the OSU guy. Let’s forget about this thread.
As you can tell, there's a contingent here who, it's safe to say, don't have second jobs manning a suicide prevention hotline... ;)

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
I almost started a thread about this, but I think it would fit better here. Coaches always try to keep their team focused, regardless of who the opponent is. Coach Saban talks about "rat poison." Coach Stallings said, "If you think any game isn't a big one, just go out there and lose it." And so on....

But having said that, we all know that these are young men who play the game, and they're going to do what they're going to do.

Is there a possibility that maybe, just a little bit, they were looking past MSU because they're so geared up for Auburn?

Just a thought.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I notice we dived into basically three camps.

1. Pot-banger camp: We will be lucky to win another game.

2. Concerned camp: We better bring our A-game.

3. Sunshine Pumper camp: No worry, no problem, no concern.
It's always been that way. During the Shula years it was predominantly #1 though. I'll take it how it is and maintain that a nuanced opinion is preferable to being a prisoner of the moment.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Auburn is better than I thought. Their DL is disruptive and Kerryon is better than I wanted to acknowledge. But Jalen, Damien, Calvin, and Minkah are awfully good. I like our team, as does a fella who knows way more about football than me.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I almost started a thread about this, but I think it would fit better here. Coaches always try to keep their team focused, regardless of who the opponent is. Coach Saban talks about "rat poison." Coach Stallings said, "If you think any game isn't a big one, just go out there and lose it." And so on....

But having said that, we all know that these are young men who play the game, and they're going to do what they're going to do.

Is there a possibility that maybe, just a little bit, they were looking past MSU because they're so geared up for Auburn?

Just a thought.
Also, lest anyone forget, Bama has the dreaded and effective REC. Even in Jordan-Hare/Pat Dye field/Tuberville/Chizk/GusBus complex we can buy off the ref's. Aubie boards are always claiming the REC buys the ref's and that is why they can't beat us. Do they think the REC is bankrupt? :cheers2:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
First, understand that your defensive game plan against MSU was vastly different than the game plan that you will have for AU. You did not attack the offense because you were worried about their QB's rushing game - he was the best RB on their team, and you played "safe" because of that. Against Auburn, you will get back to blitzing and attacking the LOS.

Second, your team was exhausted after the LSU game. It will be well rested for Auburn.

Third, You had only one week to prepare for MSU after losing both ILBs in the LSU game. You will have another 2 weeks to prepare for Auburn without those guys.

Finally, you won't have to worry about any "rat poison" over the next 2 weeks. Everyone will be picking Auburn in that game. That is going to get this Alabama team fired up, and I just can't see you guys losing a game like this when you are totally focused in your preparation.

I think that Alabama will win by 20+ points.
I haven't read this whole thread but this is exactly right. (maybe minus the bama by 20+ part).

Also, not only do we not have to worry about "rat poison" we are going to get some motivation from the media. Already there are articles calling this the "worst Nick Saban Team since 2010" and such.

There are real concerns going into this game with our defense. Injuries are clearly taking a toll and we have to be better against the run. But, the good news is that this offense looks like its on the brink of being one of if not the most dangerous of the Saban era if it can find more consistency from the OL and play calling. The steps Jalen has taken the last 2 weeks are very real. He is climbing the pocket better and looking down field (and throwing strikes) when he leaves the pocket. I still think Jacobs needs to be involved more consistently though. This offense feels really close to something special. (the OL is my biggest concern on offense by far)

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I appreciate the concerns about the defense, however, after rewatching the game, especially the fourth quarter, several leaders emerged on offense. I think these guys will carry the team, even if that means an Oklahoma type win (which I seriously doubt ever happens to Alabama).
Jalen > Stidem
Calvin best receiver in the country
Damien made some serious blitz pickups in the last two drives.
Josh ⚡ for the offense
I watched it again as well...unbelievable football. Why we didn't keep running the sweep on the drive that resulted in a missed fg I will never understand. They were worn out and we were pumped, blocking the ends easily. They could not get outside fast enough to stop us. Yes to Damien -- he really ran and blocked well.

If we could get that 4th Q. team to show up for a whole game -- no one short of the NFL could stop us.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
Why we didn't keep running the sweep on the drive that resulted in a missed fg I will never understand. They were worn out and we were pumped, blocking the ends easily. They could not get outside fast enough to stop us.
It reminded me of the game that we kept running Ingram out of the wildcat every play until he scored the touchdown!!! He was gassed but they couldn’t stop it! I believe we should keep calling the play until they stop it especially when big gains are being made!!!

RTR!!!! Not worried because we have the talent and we have the coaching!!! It doesn’t always translate to a win (see Clemson last year) but I like our chances!!!!!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
It's interesting to read through this thread. If I didn't know better, I'd think we lost to MSU. The fact of the matter is, we did not. They had more time of possession, but we beat them in almost every other category. We had more rushing yards (on fewer attempts). We had more passing yards (on fewer attempts). In the 4th quarter we had over 200 yards of total offense and scored 14 points. They had less than 30 yards and scored 3 points. And the final score was 31-24 - BAMA!

As for Auburn, their QB has improved with every game - but he's still not the threat that Jalen is. I'd rather have Jalen than Stidham. Johnson is a beast at RB - but he's all they have. We have 4 guys who are all studs. I'd rather have Bo, Damien, Josh, and Najee than Johnson. They don't have any receivers as good as Ridley - and we have several other receivers who can score on any given play. We have TEs that can catch the ball - and make big plays after the catch.

They have a stout defense and they are definitely peaking at the right time - or did they peak last week against UGA? But keep in mind, they also have 2 losses - one of those to a team we beat. We, on the other hand, are undefeated and have returned to the #1 ranking that we held most of the season.

And, to top it off, our coach is Nick Saban. Their coach is Gus Malzahn.

Bring on the Tigers. It's time for the Tide to Roll!

Last edited:

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
It still feels good to be in this position again.I hope everyone appreciates what Coach Saban has been able to do for us every single year.We get to enjoy a full season every single year,never out of it early.It's really a blessing.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

Just a thought.
Respectfully, I think I posted about this issue earlier in this thread, or perhaps in another thread. But - Alabama has a HISTORY of slumping the week after LSux, Particularly when the LSu game is close and hard fought. That's what got us in 2012 when aTm came to Tuscaloosa, and its probably PART of what troubled us last weekend. That, and the fact that MSU played at a Very high level the whole night.

Had MSU played Every game at the same level they played us, and LSux, and aTm, they'd probably be 9-1 right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.