Did our d line let us down against tamu?

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
Over the years Saban has recruited, he's never had a dominant defensive end at least imo. Do you think our lack of pass rush was the reason we lost? We lost all containment against manziel. I think it was obvious the de's were getting very frustrated and just wanted to lay the wood on johnny instead of wrap up. Going into the game I always thought our lack of a four person pass rush would eventually get to us. Hopefully we get Nkemdiche this class. I think he'd start immediately or at least get major PT. Thank God Aaron Murray isn't a mobile qb and hopefully we learn not to blitz on max protect like we did at LSU.

Thoughts?

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The DEs are more like DTs. They are not meant to be dominate pass rushers, but are meant to be run stoppers.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think the entire team came out flat as a pancake and by the time we woke up it was just a bit too late. There's no way we could have been as pumped as we needed to be after the game with LSU. Regardless of the "process" philosophy these young men aren't robots and they're occasionally going to have a let down. That, to me, is what happened against A@M. But that one's done and it's time to win two games and play for the national title!!
sip

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Alabama plays a 3-4
One point: Murray may not be Manziel, but he is very mobile. He's also prone to fumble when he scrambles so it appears the coaches have persuaded him to stay in the pocket more often.

Otherwise, it's not just the line. Not it, nor the linebackers, nor the defensive backs are as good as they were a year ago. That exposes the weaknesses in all of them.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Idk how people forget dareus or consider him not to be elite. In 09 he had several crucial sacks. 2010 he was hobbled at times but had games where he was totally dominant.

Also Upshaw was no slouch either. I believe he was a finalist for the Butkus his senior year.

Granted neither are on this years team but to say we haven't had dominant rushers is just wrong IMO.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
TAM was about 2 things and 2 things alone. Bama's weakness in the defensive backfield and Bama coming out flat combined with a red-hot TAM team. Alabama is without a doubt a better team than the Aggies. Give them credit, they did what was necessary to win which is all that matters. However the reasons were emotional more than anything else.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again. Coach Saban's greatest weakness, really the only one I've detected is an inability to get teams emotionally prepared. What he and the staff have instituted in personal dev. terms is going to pay dividends in these players lives for decades, but there still remains stretches and games where Bama just isn't where they need to be emotionally considering the target they have on them every time out.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Hubbard is developing nicely I expect him to be a force next year. Remember I said this.
Holding you to it ;-)

We lost this game in the first quarter -- though our offense was there and should have won it. We just never do well when we give up that many points in the first quarter. Difference between this game and the Sugar Bowl debacle with Utah is that our defense actually re-focused.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011
Hubbard and Upshaw are both olb but dareus was a good pass rusher. I wouldn't call him elite he was a dt too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.