BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Sort of.

Respectfully, this actually old news and old spin for those of us living here.

You see, if they blame Mack Brown's stridency then their over-the-top, our money can buy anything, sales pitch - THEY, on other words - are NOT to blame for it, and it's still a way they can boast of, "Saban REALLY preferred us over Alabama."

You've educated me well about the Nebraska mentality. Let me just do the same in reverse: the TV show "Dallas" and JR Ewing is dead on, 100% as accurate as a TV show can possibly be about Texans and how they deal with stuff. They are like the not quite the best athlete on the team (but still a good one) who has money and drives the sleek car. When he wants to date the hot little virgin and she turns him down, he circulates that she's loose and they were all over his back seat. They first try to appeal to your vanity, then they try to strong arm you and - when all else fails - they figure you have a price and will offer you an oil well.

I cannot tell you how many times I heard UT fans here - and they're 100 times worse than Aggie fans - saying, "Well, you couldn't even keep Dennis Franchione from the Aggies, and we've got more money than the Aggies do" - as if Fran leaving was solely a money issue. You see, with their little world they inhabit, that is true.

But let me add I'm suspicious about some things. You'll note this: NOBODY in this article says, "Saban said he didn't think he could win X number of national championships." It says, "Hicks (Person B) says Sexton (Person A) told him Saban said that." That's called hearsay - it isn't proof of anything.

I could just as easily say I was talking to Saban when I ran into him out on Lake Burton on the afternoon of (a date I can easily find on the Net that he was there), and he told me, "I'm not leaving until I surpass Bryant in national titles." It would have as much validity as this.

And Tom Hicks? It says he's a billionaire, but he bought the Stars and while he was running them they filed for bankruptcy a year after Hicks Sports Group (that then owned the Texas Rangers) did likewise.

I wouldn't believe anything Tom Hicks says about sports if I had a signed affidavit from Jesus Christ and three of the original apostles.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The other thing that just absolutely KILLS Texas people is that they look down their noses at OU - but the Sooners are by far the better program over the course of the history of CFB.

A reminder (again) from 1997: Texas fired Brian Piccolo's college roommate, John Mackovic. Here's what the article said at the time that substantiates the charge of arrogant snits:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-11-30-9711300009-story.html

They wanted Gary Barnett. Barnett was the man. Barnett was winning at Northwestern - imagine what he could do at TEXAS!!!

And here's the key phrase:

That information is consistent with the understanding of a source with ties to Barnett, who summarized the Texas situation this way: "It's pretty much Gary's job to turn down. He may turn it down, but I don't think so."

I mean, after all - who turns down Texas to stay at Northwestern, right? He stayed another year, went 3-9 - and went to Colorado and beat Texas for the 2001 Big 12 championship.

Reminder: Mack Brown was their THIRD CHOICE in 1997. THIRD.

And yet they think they can get anyone they want.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nah, he was their first all along. You just don't know.

Before I make too much fun of them, let's recall our 2000 and 2002 coaching searches:

1) Get turned down by every big name on the list
2) Pick someone left over well down list B
3) Throw our arms around him and declare him, "the one we always wanted."

And we got an amazing reprieve on whatever the truth was with the Rich Rod scenario.

I was on my way to a seminary class (yes, it embarrasses me to admit this) in third semester Greek when Bob Piccozzi came on "Mike and Mike" and said we'd hired Rich Rod.

I began pounding the steering wheel and screaming expletives like a lunatic. I could not believe that. I had accepted Saban wasn't coming but.....that clown?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nah, he was their first all along. You just don't know.
I still the funniest one ever was when Auburn hired Gene Chizik.

Go down that list, and I defy you to find a WORSE name among those coaches as was perceived at the time.

OK, Houston Nutt.

Name another one worse.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
You mean to tell me that the only reason Saban didn't go to Texas was because Mack Brown wouldn't allow it. You mean to tell me the big money guys wanted Saban, had Saban, Saban was ready to come but, the soon to be "fired" Mack Brown vetoed the whole thing?

Hold on a second while I change my pants from laughing too much.

What a joke. If the money guys wanted Saban, and Saban wanted Texas, then Saban would be at Texas, regardless of what Mack wanted.

Texas folks like to claim they can buy anyone and everything but, somehow, this time, they were stopped by little ole Mack. Makes perfect sense from the "Colt got hurt" crowd.

"...but Mack vetoed Saban!"

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You mean to tell me that the only reason Saban didn't go to Texas was because Mack Brown wouldn't allow it. You mena to tell me the big money guys wanted Saban, had Saban, Saban was ready to come but, the soon to be "fired" Mack Brown vetoed the whole thing?

Hold on a second while I change my pants from laughing too much.

What a joke. If the money guys wanted Saban, and Saban wanted Texas, then Saban would be at Texas, regardless of what Mack wanted.

Texas folks like to claim they can buy anyone and everything but, somehow, this time, they were stopped by little ole Mack. Makes perfect sense from the "Colt got hurt" crowd.

"...but Mack vetoed Saban!"
Exactly

But blaming Mack Brown is much easier than admitting you got rejected, ain't it?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Living in a world of delusion. What I was told at the time, and I believe, is that Saban seriously considered UTw and concluded he could not live with the booster interference he would inevitably have there but had under control at Bama...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Living in a world of delusion. What I was told at the time, and I believe, is that Saban seriously considered UTw and concluded he could not live with the booster interference he would inevitably have there but had under control at Bama...
This seems like the real story.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Between his book and what he said on the radio at the time, Phil Savage clearly felt like Saban was about to leave.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
“Saban has personally told me that he didn’t go to Texas because he wouldn’t have just one boss, he’d have to answer to 20-30 bosses. He knew what he had at Bama and only has to answer to one boss.”

That’s roughly what Finebaum just said on his show.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've been told that when Mack Brown was at Texas that every Friday that UT was playing a home game on Saturday, there was a group of Billionaires -- with a "B" -- that expected Brown to have lunch with them and he did.

Can you imagine CNS coddling up to that???

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If Nick Saban wanted to coach at Texas AS BADLY as all these folks keep saying years later.......then he would have gone to Texas.

If he didn't go because of the alumni and their nonsense, he didn't "want" to coach Texas.

He clearly never did because he isn't and never did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.