Poll: Which Program will hire a new coach after 2 years worth of Buyer's remorse?

Who is the most likely to get canned after Year 2?

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There are 4 candidates for this lovely aspect of college football known as knee jerk reactions with huge financial consequences. But there can only be one winner, or loser if you prefer, for the award of Most Likely to get the Good ole heave ho after Week 2 of his second year. Lets meet our contestants...

Contestant #1) Jeremy Pruitt.

Funny fan reactions to his "misfortune"

Pruitt makes Dooley and Jones look good fire him tonight.

Pruitt is not going anywhere, because the administration has proven that they can’t get anyone better to come here. He’s not a proven head coach, but he’s ours for this season. Apathy is setting in.

Yes. Fire that skin headed Gump tonight!!! In fact, just shut down the whole program like ETSU did and get rid of everybody. Then in 2 years we can start over as a member of the 1-AA Southern Conference.
[SUB][/SUB]

You don't fire Pruitt right now. Its asinine to say that. You fire everyone and concentrate all your efforts on basketball and baseball. Rowing and Bass fishing too. But just put the Football team out of its misery. The Bad News Vols are killing us all, slowly

Screw it fire Pruitt ...He makes Dooley look like Belichick
[SUB][/SUB]
How to keep his job: Either win 5-6 games or beat one of the Big 3 (alabama, UGA, UF)

How to lose his job: Win less than 4 games

Outlook: I really don't know, but it is very reasonable to say that things could really escalate quick.

Contestant #2) Willie Taggart

Funny fan reactions to the realization that they hired a guy with no real experience

I think the difference is in the 70s fsu has not accomplished anything. But sweet lord it’s a hot dumpster fire now and I wonder what move the deep pocket boosters make now

Outscored in the second half in two games 48-14. So anyone who has the misfortune of going to these games can go ahead and leave after the Chiefs perform at halftime

I never want to hear another person blame Jimbo. Yeah he did us wrong but that debacle wasn’t because of JF. It also wasn’t because WT didn’t have ‘his’ players. It also wasn’t because WT hasn’t had time to to build a program - or it wasn’t even due to lack of hydration.WT and his D coaches are not worth their salary. It’s time to pass the hat and at least fire HB right now!!!
If we are lacking funds to field a good football team and the best coaching staff in America, then the athletic department needs to immediately cut additional funds for our Olympic sports and women’s sports. I love them all but football (plus baseball and basketball) are what FSU is about. Pour money into the big 3. They must be the first priority. Period. It’s either that or the boosters must raise more money

How to Keep his job: A win over Florida and 7-8 Wins

How to Lose his Job: keep with the status quo now

Outlook: I don't think Ive ever seen a coach this unqualified getting a major job like this unless its due to special circumstances (Shula). I really think things are going to be moving fast, and I really think Willie is done

Contestant #3) Chip Kelly

Funny fan reactions to his fat check that was 18 million more than he is worth

Nobody will want to hear this and probably won't agree but UCLA needs to drop to a lower division just for football. The program has been in a funk for over 20 years. It's definitely on life support and dying a slow death

A Duck here in peace. We told you guys that you wouldn't like Chip. We would have kept him forever, but he dislikes the following: 1. The fans. 2. The press. 3. Recruiting. Chip has a very unusual personality.

He can't cheat at UCLA. He doesn't have Phil Knight money to give to Texas high schoolers. Oregon was being investigated by NCAA when Chip decided to bolt to Philadelphia
How to Keep his Job: Keep reminding UCLA how much they have in him, and that Football really isn't their thing

How to Lose his job: If UCLA just slaps him across the head after he tells them facts, and tells him they don't want his fatness or his Micky Mouse playcalling on the sideline anymore no matter the cost"

Outlook: This one really depends on whether or not UCLA is willing to go through a costly divorce.

Contestant #4) Scott Frost

Funny fan reactions to his proven mediocrity

If it wasn’t for his name, his seat would be warm. Terrible play calling and coaching today. Played not to lose up 17-0 at the half and didn’t allow a point until 2 minutes left in the 3rd. I feel bad for the players. They deserve better than this.

Total stupidity and lack of coaching to blow a 17 point lead. I remember the same people 2 games into Riley’s 2nd season saying the same crap. Oh oh give him time, it’s ok, they’ll get better. give Frost the boot, disband the football team and give the money to the Volleyball Team. At least they can give the state pride. keep it up with the brown nosing frost. He’s sucked for a year and 2 games I don’t know how much more you need to see.

We have more talent than Colorado and Frost has a year up on Tucker. This point is moot against the opponents we have played. Frost is our guy but he has to be better too

really don’t even know what to say about this game. It’s so disappointing and yet so familiar. We just cannot ever seem win those games that show we have turned a corner. We have had no identity as a program for years. I am bothered by the toughness (lack of) and resilience of our team, even under Frost.

Junk offense, horrid D-scheme, and group of coaches that are WAY out of their league coaching Power-5 Ball (from Frost to Chinander, and on down the list). The hiring of Frost and Co. was a mistake; especially with the contract that handcuffs the University from cleaning house again over the next few years
[SUB][/SUB]
What he has to do to keep his Job: Just not let the bottom totally fall out

What he has to do to lose his Job: Let the bottom fall out

Outlook: I think Nebraska is probably going to let Frost get 4-5 years before making a big decision. But I do think he needs the 3 expected wins at the very least to cool the children of the cornfield down

Last edited:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I would say a tie between JP and WT. For Pruitt it has to be uncomfortable to have Fulmer looking over his shoulder. Taggart I think is simply in over his head.
UCLA is to apathetic to fire CK this quickly.
Nebraska will give SF the hometown hero longer leash.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Pruitt: He'll get a 3rd year if his team gets to 5 wins again but that is a hard ask. 50% chance he's terminated.

Taggart: If FSU had lost to ULM yesterday, I would not have been surprised if I woke up to news of his termination. He's almost certainly gone because I don't think it is getting better from here. 90% chance he's terminated.

Kelly: Unless things are going on within the AD building that causes problems between Kelly and his bosses, UCLA will give him 3-4 years. They knew their program was in the dumps and their outlook will be set accordingly. 10% chance he's terminated.

Frost: Similarly, Frost would only be terminated if something is going on behind the scenes and I don't think Nebraska would fire a favorite son like that either. 5% chance he's terminated.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's Taggart or Pruitt. Pruitt is in the lead right now because his team is 0-2. I do not see how they get to 5 wins. The team has to be absolutely demoralized by now. At least with FSU, they won and you had players jumping up and down and running around with excitement (even though it's foolish to have that against LA Monroe).

I think Pruitt is 100% done.

Taggart still has a chance to pull it together and get another year but I don't believe in him.

Kelly is at a school that doesn't have enough people that care. But if he goes 2-10, he's probably done.

Frost is going nowhere for 4 years at least. You don't bring back the last QB that won you an NC and fire him after 2 seasons no matter how bad it is.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
It's Taggart or Pruitt. Pruitt is in the lead right now because his team is 0-2. I do not see how they get to 5 wins. The team has to be absolutely demoralized by now. At least with FSU, they won and you had players jumping up and down and running around with excitement (even though it's foolish to have that against LA Monroe).

Taggart still has a chance to pull it together and get another year but I don't believe in him.

Kelly is at a school that doesn't have enough people that care. But if he goes 2-10, he's probably done.

Frost is going nowhere for 4 years at least. You don't bring back the last QB that won you an NC and fire him after 2 seasons no matter how bad it is.
I think Pruitt as well. I figure they will keep him till close to the end of season since there is no way to salvage this year. I’m sure they are already putting together a short list.
Even the assistant coaches are thinking ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Taggart will be gone before the end of September. Bad wins and ugly losses are one thing, but did you see that stadium? It was almost empty. $$$$ When your bad wins and ugly losses start affect the bottom line, your done. I see a loss to both USF and BC coming for FSU and, after that, he’ll be gone.

This probably ends Taggart’s string of falling upwards jobs. He’ll end up at a lower FBS or upper FCS school.

Pruitt ain’t going anywhere. What y’all don’t understand is this is all part of the REC’s plan. The REC got him a guaranteed 3 years and have tasked him with destroy the garbage truck convention from the inside. From the looks of it, he’s doing and excellent job so, look for a contract extension soon!

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Pruitt, which is a big disappointment to me. I thought if he did well, he might be a successor to Saban. Obviously, that ain't happening.

But one of the arnge fans quoted in the opening post does bring up a good point....if you fire Pruitt, who replaces him? My guess is that Fulmer will hire himself. No blue font.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Pruitt, which is a big disappointment to me. I thought if he did well, he might be a successor to Saban. Obviously, that ain't happening.

But one of the arnge fans quoted in the opening post does bring up a good point....if you fire Pruitt, who replaces him? My guess is that Fulmer will hire himself. No blue font.
What? Everyone knows that Haslem, Thunder Thornton and Peyton Manning are going to pool their money and back up a Brinks’ truck to Urban Meyer’s house and “make him an offer he can’t refuse”.

And Gruden will leave the Raiders to become the OC. {okay blue font-but most UT fans would believe it}

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It is really difficult to do well at Tennessee, and it's not a place for someone to start their head coaching career. They need a Nick Saban or an Urban Meyer, but would such a coach come there? Is Tennessee even seen as a top tier opportunity anymore? The recruiting disadvantages there are very real. They either need an elite, established head coach, or they need Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson to implode. You could drop 1998 Fulmer into Knoxville, and he ain't winning championships there with Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson churning out top 5 teams every year.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Really close call between JP and WT. I voted for JP because he has a well known back stabber for his boss. Having having such a tough time finding a coach last night Phat Phil might just take it himself. Its a good time to invest the Krispy Kreme franchise in Knoxville.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
All Taggart has to do is make a Bowl and he’s safe. He may be another embarrassing loss away from being let go though.

UTea fans/admins are unrealistic about who they can get and if the season gets any worse, I could see them prematurely letting him go and go after Urban Meyer only to get embarrassed in the coaching search again.

I could see the Chip Kelly era ending after this season. I honestly didn’t know his seat was this warm.

Scott Frost is to Nebraska what Harbs is to Michigan, he’ll have to have 3 straight 4 win seasons for him to be let go before 2025.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

I agree...………..I think Pruitt will be back as an analyst, and UT will be in the dumpster for awhile...…………….I hope Bama rolls them

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
After next Saturday's date with UTC, Tennessee could lose their remaining 9 games which would be a 1-11 final record. Not sure they beat UAB, but give them the benefit of the doubt so 2-10. They are not going to beat UF, UGA, UA, MSU. USCe is a possible win, but if he closes out the season with 3 consecutive losses to UK, Mizzou and Vanderbilt I think he will be cleaning out his office. I think Frost is safe for a couple of years and Kelly I do not know or care. Taggert could possibly be shown the door before the end of the year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Do Chad Morris or Kevin Sumlin deserve any consideration?

I think it’s a toss-up between Pruitt and Taggart. One aspect might be the fear that Pruitt goes to UA as DC if he’s canned, I don’t know.

My suspicion? Taggart. But we’ll see.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Do Chad Morris or Kevin Sumlin deserve any consideration?

I think it’s a toss-up between Pruitt and Taggart. One aspect might be the fear that Pruitt goes to UA as DC if he’s canned, I don’t know.

My suspicion? Taggart. But we’ll see.
Sumlin maybe, but I think Arkansas is far more patient with their coaches so I think unless Morris has less than 3 wins it is a safe bet he is safe.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I do wonder if Fulmer had this in mind all along. Pruitt will be a great head coach someday, but I think he's in way over his head at Tennessee. Too many factors working against him. Fulmer hired a guy they could can quickly if need be and then he takes over as interim. They win a couple of games and he's back on the sideline for the Vols. I know it's a stretch but I would put it past him.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.